Many issues with DGINDEX, VDUB, etc...

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
TheJadeArcAngel
Org Profile

Many issues with DGINDEX, VDUB, etc...

Post by TheJadeArcAngel » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:53 am

Okay, this thread is to address many topics steaming from a series of youtube videos I found with tutorials for the AMVApp. process.

Things go great until I get to this part of the tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA6XJt7gV4o

At 1:00 minute into the video the creator clearly has an option in DGINDEX that is not apart of the version available in what is native to the package of programs in AMVApp.

Next at 2:19 seconds he has a % meter for 'Film Type' which I have not had reveal a % with any anime DVD I have tried using. It always says NTSC. I bring this up because, well, somebody made that step rather important and I cant even find it in the current program(s).

QUESTION 1: What version of DGINDEX is this guy using? Is it still valid? if not, what's the most comprehensive steps for film vs TV anime? I don't recall any such topic in the guides which was why I found these video tutorials so awesome ... until the versions started being outdated. More on that in a minute ...

So, anyway, with DGINDEX I used the FORCE FILM option for an anime that was clearly a movie.

My video still has deinterlaceing issues so I find the next part of the tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULcCsftR ... re=related

At 2:23 seconds he lists 2 script lines that are not apart of the native AviSynth that comes with AMVApp.

*** NOTE *** I am to believe that the version he downloaded required no extra mods, downloads, extra .dll's, or superfilous add-ons because he mentions no such need to download/mod the plug-ins.

The following: TFM and TDecimate <edit: I believe I have mentioned TDecimate before but its an example > are not lines accepted by VDUBMod. Both are considerd errors in the script line

Altough I am likely capable of finding scripts to do the same function as these mentioned, again: what version is this guy useing? What the newest one? is the newest one really that good and people use version _____ ?

QUESTION 2: What version of AviSynth do people use and what is the step-by-step process you guys use to update your filters? Are their packs, popular websites, etc...?

QUESTION 2.A ... In the AviSynth folder their are many .dll files in many different locations. Which one is the primary folder or does it matter as long as the .dll file is just in there somewhere?

QUESTION 3: Largarith(sp) and Huffyuv + VLC = horrible playback. I am running on a 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and I wont lie, it handles most things well. Still, playback with anything encoded in these, running on Windows ( where I am playing with all this ) and VLC = an unplayable mess. Every 10 seconds the video freezes, slows, or VLC just shuts down. I can run 4.9 gig MKV, AVI, DV, whatever files and never get a huccup but when I try and playback these encoded files? Hiccup city. Has this happened to anybody else and if so, is it because of a version of VLC? I see 1.0, 1.1, various builds, etc... Whats the best to use?

I guess, my biggest question is: With AMVApp obviously being outdated in terms of the application versions, what versions play best with each other? Any steps outdated? Is there an unofficial new set-up for AMVApp's programs?

*** AGAIN, NOTE *** Thank you for even reading this and for those who have answered my other questions. It is frustrating to try and jump into such a hideously complex series of programs like these and expect 100% step-by-step answers but I hope this helps:

I am running on VISTA; At the moment I am running the standard AMV Application package, V.2. I have downloaded no other .dll files, add ons, packages, etc... I *HAVE* downloaded the CCP Codec pack.

Where do I go from here?

TheJadeArcAngel
Org Profile

Re: Many issues with DGINDEX, VDUB, etc...

Post by TheJadeArcAngel » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:58 am

~_o EEEEH, Jolly-Good, I see the youtube links = fail ( and after reading the link to the topic about it, I can understand )

I guess for 'visual' reference with DGINDEX the option in question is under VIDEO, FIELD OPERATION, HONOR PULLDOWN FLAGS. In the DGINDEX version offered via AMVApp, such a function is not available hence my bewilderment

TheJadeArcAngel
Org Profile

Post by TheJadeArcAngel » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:28 am

edit:

-_- *sticks foot into mouth*

super-awesome, I found what is apparently the mst recent version of the App. I had been finding the version that was the all-in-one variety, not the ZIP

I have a feeling this will solve everything .... or close to it

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:14 pm

Eh, I'll just answer what I can because they're good things to know.

1) No idea which version he's using, but wherever you were seeing "Force Film" there should also be the honor/ignore pulldown flag option. It might be that you were using DVD2AVI instead of DGIndex.

2) I think most people use the most recent version (2.5.8), but changing versions (as long as you have 2.5.something) won't give you many useful filters. It is a good idea to have the most recent version because bugs are usually fixed as time goes on.

Adding new filters/plugins is pretty simple.
-Find the filter you want
-Download it
-stick the .dll or .avsi file into avisynth's plugins folder (C:\Program Files\Avisynth2.5\Plugins\ is where this folder will be for most people)

You can find new filters here or at the avisynth usage section of the doom9 forums

google is also your friend (filter name + avisynth does pretty good. Ex. TFM avisynth)

3) eww...vlc :|
But that aside, losslessly encoded footage isn't meant for real-time playback...so don't worry about that. You also probably don't want to encode entire episodes losslessly (as that would take a lot of space, and a lot of time to encode). I'd recommend using vdub/mod to make your clips (using the little triangle-ish buttons on the bottom right) and encode those clips with a lossless codec instead.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:25 pm

The earlier questions should be resolved by using the new AMVapp, so I'll just leave them alone.
TheJadeArcAngel wrote:QUESTION 2: What version of AviSynth do people use and what is the step-by-step process you guys use to update your filters? Are their packs, popular websites, etc...?
I always use the most current version of AviSynth, which right now is version 2.58. I get it from the official download at Sourceforge linked to from AviSynth.org.

The filters mostly came from the old AMVapp (1.0?) when I did install it in 2004. I then pruned the selection down to just what I needed rather than the whole gamut of things. If I needed any other filters, I'd mostly look on Doom9's AviSynth sections or the Warp Enterprises directory of filters, which Kariudo already linked to.

However, MeGUI does tend to perform updates for the AviSynth plugins it handles by proxy, so that's another method.
QUESTION 2.A ... In the AviSynth folder their are many .dll files in many different locations. Which one is the primary folder or does it matter as long as the .dll file is just in there somewhere?
Plugins go into C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins and for them to be autorecognized they need to be in that main folder, not in a subdirectory of it. If you don't want plugins to conflict you can use subdirectories to separate them (also, it's possible to use a plugin from any folder on the computer, just as long as you use the LoadPlugin option; putting them in the designated plugins folder is meant to nix having to use LoadPlugin).
QUESTION 3: Largarith(sp) and Huffyuv + VLC = horrible playback. I am running on a 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and I wont lie, it handles most things well. Still, playback with anything encoded in these, running on Windows ( where I am playing with all this ) and VLC = an unplayable mess. Every 10 seconds the video freezes, slows, or VLC just shuts down. I can run 4.9 gig MKV, AVI, DV, whatever files and never get a huccup but when I try and playback these encoded files? Hiccup city. Has this happened to anybody else and if so, is it because of a version of VLC? I see 1.0, 1.1, various builds, etc... Whats the best to use?
I didn't know VLC supported Lagarith (because ffmpeg/libavcodec doesn't), but even still, lossless formats like that aren't meant to be played in real time. My suggestion would be not to use VLC for them at all. As long as you have ffdshow-tryouts, Lagarith's actual installer (comes in the AMVapp), and Media Player Classic, that will be enough - and they still probably won't play in real time.

The best place to get VLC is straight from the official website: http://www.videolan.org/

It could also be HuffYUV's settings - RGB-mode HuffYUV works really great in Premiere, but playback elsewhere is often horrible, especially since HuffYUV isn't multithreading-capable like Lagarith is. ffdshow can alleviate some of that pain, as it is a faster decoder than the regular HuffYUV codec is, but it won't take it away completely. One option would be to use the YV12-mode HuffYUV variant that comes with ffdshow, which decodes much faster than video stored in RGB-mode. However, the tradeoff is that your editing software will probably have to convert to RGB during the editing phase, as I don't know how many support native YV12 editing.

Also, as you mentioned being on Vista, is that 32-bit or 64-bit Vista? 64-bit can get very finicky when it comes to this stuff.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:31 pm

Qyot27 wrote:If I needed any other filters, I'd mostly look on Doom9's AviSynth sections or the Warp Enterprises directory of filters, which Kariudo already linked to.
Note: Doom9 has two AviSynth sections: AviSynth Usage, which Kariudo linked to, and AviSynth Development, which is where a lot of the filters are actually released (FFmpegSource, for example). I tend to peruse the Development section more:
http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=69
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Return to “AviSynth Help”