Trigun AVS Script

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
Radman
Org Profile

Trigun AVS Script

Post by Radman » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:06 am

After 3 or so years of not making an AMV, I'm coming back into it with a new Trigun vid idea. However, I really am taking the pre-processing serious this time. Rather than just throw in the Telecide and decimate functions with some random smoother served to me in the AbsoluteDestiny's guide, I want to really put some time into a good avs script for some good video quality.
I'd like to know what scripts out there have worked for you. After looking around, tweaking with different setting, and scratching my head over some of the filters referred to in the posts, here is what I've put together so far, but I'd really like your inpit and/or opinions.
NOTE: These aren't all the filters I have loaded at one time. Rather, this is a collection of filters I've put together with the intent of showing that I've done my research and the hope of getting some better input as to what works for Trigun in avisynth.

Deinterlacer: I've spent a particularly long time tweaking and looking at deinterlacers, since the Trigun DVDs are (what seem to me) an annoying source reverting from NTSC to FILM averaging around 92-95% according to DGIndex. The biggest problem I have so far is severe blending, which TDeint and Blendbob seem to be able to fix pretty will.
TDeint(mode=1,order=1,mthreshl=8,mthreshc=8,chroma=true,tryweave=true,denoise=true)
Blendbob(badframes=0)
\
tomsmocomp(1,5,1)
\
LoadTDeint()
TDeint(mode=1,order=1)
BlendBob()
Decimate(5)
-NOTE: Which of these scripts require the decimate line after them? I haven't seen it included with the tomsmocomp or the complex TDeint filters previously, but it might just be that they weren't included in the post. Do newer deinterlacers have decimating included, or do I just add Decimate(5) after any deinterlacer I use?

Smoothers: Some are filters referred to in the Ultimate guide, others are ones I've found in topics across the boards. I have no idea which combination of filters would be best, though fluxsmooth and removegrain seem to turn out pretty good, though would they smooth enough for good compressibility?
Deen("w3d",2,4,4)
\
removegrain(mode=5)
\
fluxsmoothST()
\
temporalcleaner()
\
msmooth(threshold=6,strength=4)

Sharpeners: After much deliberation, I like the sharpening, but I'm not a huge fan of the obvious uber-sharp mftoon() look. Every time I see an amv I can tell whether they used mftoon or not. I read vmtoon is really good, but I've had no luck installing it from the masktools pack (inserted the vmtoon-v0.74.avs, renamed to .avsi and also .dll. No luck. Suggestions?). Sharpening is good though.
LimitedSharpen()

mfToon(Sharpen=false,Strength=20)

mftoon()

Other filters: Trigun suffers from SEVERE rainbowing. If I had a picture to show I would. At any rate, SDDeRainbow seems to do all right so far.
SDDeRainbow()- Are there better rainbow removers out there?

Tweak(cont=1.0,sat=1.1,bright=0, hue=0)

Crop(8,4,-4,-0) - do you typically crop in pre or post processing? (as of now I'm doing it in pre-processing).

I'm open to all suggestions. You could add a line or just serve up your entire trigun script.
I hope this isn't too much to ask. The common problem seems to be that people don't say enough or ask specific questions, so I hope to provide plenty of info here. I realize my weakness is that I'm not involved enough and my knowledge is many years behind (especially with the constant release of newer scripts and potentially more effective filters).
I guess I'll just say ahead of time thanks to all who are so helpful here on the boards that keep AMVing alive and growing. Thanks for all the help you've given to others that has indirectly assisted me. You all rock. So rock, rock on!
Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it

Radman
Org Profile

Post by Radman » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:42 pm

Was that too much? :?
Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it

sweetdeily
Org Profile

Post by sweetdeily » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:52 am

You need a resize after the crop, and it's really up to you if you want to filter pre or post processing, I filter beforehand as I use lossless footage to edit from often.

Deen("w2d",2,4,4)
Deen("w3d",2,4,4)
Try using both of these lines of Deen and play around with the settings to find what works for you.

vmtoon()
try half strength and maybe add some warpsharp or limited sharpen faster if that's not enough and maybe even a fastlinedarken

There are a lot of ways of dealing with rainbowing but SSDerainbow it quite effective.
ImageImage
Lockstock: " i gots the power!"
Sweetdeily: "you know he-man was a gay icon, right?"
*SILENCE*

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: Trigun AVS Script

Post by Scintilla » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:27 pm

Radman wrote:Other filters: Trigun suffers from SEVERE rainbowing. If I had a picture to show I would. At any rate, SDDeRainbow seems to do all right so far.
SDDeRainbow()- Are there better rainbow removers out there?
You may want to look into Bifrost and TComb; I have two script solutions of my own as well:

http://www.aquilinestudios.org/scripts/ ... 50902.avsi (only works for rainbows that change every frame)
http://www.aquilinestudios.org/scripts/ ... 50128.avsi

Keep in mind that derainbowers (and dot crawl removers as well) often need to be placed BEFORE any IVTC or deinterlacing operations in order to be effective.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Return to “AviSynth Help”