R1 My Hime DVDs, A blended nightmare.

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
EvaFan
Org Profile

R1 My Hime DVDs, A blended nightmare.

Post by EvaFan » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:23 pm

Has anyone sucessfully removed all the blending from the R1 My Hime DVDs?

I've come extremely close but it still left some barely noticeable ghosted movements.

I've pretty much given up and will edit with it that way unless someone has been able to get rid of it completely. I've spent 2 days trying all kinds of bobbers and blendremovers using the double fps unblend rule and the above was my best result.

If you have a script that removes it completely... Please share it for the poor people who baught the R1 DVDs and have spent DAYS trying to get them looking decent :cry: .
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:09 am

K so, i kept experimenting and I still haven't found a complete solution. Heres my best so far.

MPEG2Source("C:\Hime01.d2v", cpu=4)
Unblend()
TDeint(mode=1,order=0,tryweave=true,denoise=true)
Blendbob(show=true,badframes=0)
Tweak(hue=1.0,sat=1.2,bright=-0.1,cont=1.0)
RemoveGrain(mode=17)
warpsharp()
fastlinedarken(thinning=0)
crop(0,2,0,0)
lanczosresize(640,480)

TDeint has given me the smoothest movement / least noticeable blending comparison I could find so far. I still got a few more experiments to try.

I guess I'll keep a log here in hopes of helping someone who baught these shitty DVD's in the future.

I did notice however that DVD 7 and possibly 6 were Converted to NTSC differently by the anime company because they had little to no blending on them what-so-ever, especially DVD 7.

More tomorrow possibly... Getting tired of dealin with it tho.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:57 pm

Well my other three experiments failed in comparison to the above script.

I should add that the reason Unblend() is before the deinterlacing and bob-unblending is because your removing blending twice. The footage is slightly more jerky but the blending is almost eliminated all-together.

Extra smoothness but slightly more blending can be attaind by just getting rid of Unblend() from the script.

It's subject to opinion. Right now I like it without the ()unblend cause I want the motion as smooth as possible even if it leaves some more blending artifacts.

Overall I've given up, It might be impossible to remove all the blending and keep the motion completely smooth with how bad the dvd's are. Hope this helps someone.

There should be a thread for DVD's as horrible as these where people can find scripts for them instead of spending hours-days trying to make them decent. I doubt My-Hime is the only one with severe blending or other problems.

Don't forget to get rid of the "Show=true" for blendbob, I was merely using it to see how many times it was replacing frames or blending.

Tdeint, Unblend, and blendbob can be found here: http://avisynth.org/warpenterprises/

I've experimented with all the bobbers and blend removers from this page but have not experimented with any not on the page. Feel free to experiment more; I've given up.

If anyone does solve it completely and the motion isn't all that jerky plz post your script.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:42 pm

...and here I thought blended sources were rare - especially in R1 releases. Do you have any video frames you could throw up to show?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:27 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:...and here I thought blended sources were rare - especially in R1 releases. Do you have any video frames you could throw up to show?
The Mai-HiME R1s are pretty notorious for a botched authoring job on the first 4 or 5 discs. Bandai apparently made the decision to switch the authoring away from Ocean, or at least that's what sniffing through Google brought up. I remember seeing screenshots from the first R1 and it's quite bad.

ArashiKurobara
Org Profile

Post by ArashiKurobara » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:49 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:...and here I thought blended sources were rare - especially in R1 releases. Do you have any video frames you could throw up to show?
I don't have any shots myself at the moment, but I've been poking a little at the discs myself (not a lot because I'm working on another video at the same time - only really started because I'm having something akin to writer's block on the other vid), but the main issue I noticed on discs 1-4 is similar to the issues with KimiNozo in <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... 3876">this thread</a> - combing in the chroma only (and that's after the deinterlace/decimate as in the EADFAG).

For what it's worth re: blending in R1 releases in general, from my own experiences, this particular problem I've also seen on the R1s of Mao-chan (a bit older - pretty much bracketing the change from Pioneer to Geneon), and there's actual partial blends after deinterlacing and decimating ADV's release of Wedding Peach, but that one was probably an issue with the decade-old source footage.

<em>So</em> glad to hear I won't have to deal with this for the last few discs of MiME, though.

... Apologies, I got kinda rambly and off-topic there near the end. :oops:

ArashiKurobara
Org Profile

Post by ArashiKurobara » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:50 pm

Oh, and I have tried the chroma=true suggested in the thread I linked, but then I end up with some ghosting - if all else fails, though, it's still an improvement over without that parameter.

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:30 pm

No deinterlacing or unblending:
http://valkyriestudios.org/evafan/Unsynthed%20Copy.avi

http://valkyriestudios.org/evafan/synthed%20Copy.avi
Script:
MPEG2Source("C:\Hime01.d2v", cpu=4)
TDeint(mode=1,order=0,tryweave=true,denoise=true)
Blendbob(badframes=0)
Tweak(hue=1.0,sat=1.2,bright=-0.1,cont=1.0)
Convolution3d(preset="animeHQ")
RemoveGrain(mode=17)
warpsharp()
fastlinedarken(thinning=0)
crop(0,2,0,0)
lanczosresize(640,480)

I could show pictures but if your really that interested... watching the difference is better.

If unblend() were in the script there would be almost no blending artifacts but what you watched would be slightly more jerky.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:02 pm

.. T_T .. Eee-gad's .. the Rizelmine twin season DVD set all over again >_<

.. its in Film format -- not PAL .. PAL will not correct this kind of Interlacing

.. you ripped it wrong; that's all 8-)

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:20 pm

how did I rip it wrong?

I didnt rip with some form of pal format.. I dont understand what you mean.

Return to “AviSynth Help”