Small interlacing problem (with visual references)

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
Taruto!
Org Profile

Small interlacing problem (with visual references)

Post by Taruto! » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:15 am

Okay, I'm pretty new to AviSynth and I'm not sure if this is easily resolved or not but what the hell, I won't learn unless I ask!

I've nearly finished ripping all of the R2 Ouran DVDs (..yes they're official, not bootleg, else I'd know where my problem was straight away) but I've noticed all through ripping and working with the footage there's some interlacing between animation.

Here's some examples.. they're lossless PNGs so they may take a while to load:

Image = original frame (interlacing on Haruhi's eyes, twins' mouths)
Image = 1 frame later (normal)

Image = original frame (interlacing all over)

Image = original frame (interlacing all over)

Image = original frame (interlacing on lightning/sparks)

There's also this video clip (3mb, 3ivX AVI), showing the scene with the first 2 example frames in action, as well as a few others. It's not overly noticeable, but still more noticeable than I want it to be.

Normally interlacing isn't a problem, and even when the Ouran episodes are played/worked with it's barely noticeable unless you pause or really look for it, but I'd like to clean it up a little anyway cause I know someone out there is bound to whine about it sooner or later. I'm also lending the RAWs to a friend who's new to AMVing to practice with, so the last thing I want is her video to suffer because of it.

I tried a few scripts I've used before with AviSynth but they did nothing or just made it worse. Is there any way I can fix the interlacing with scripting?

Taruto!
Org Profile

Post by Taruto! » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:16 am

..and I've screwed up the description of each screencap but what the hell..

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:20 am

Post your scripts and results of those - you don't need that many examples of the un-fixed versions.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:10 pm

.. I added Field-Bob and it didn't help much; when it went from one Maid to the other it still fell apart + when the door closed at the end didn't look right .. is this PAL video by some chance??

Keeper of Hellfire
Org Profile

Post by Keeper of Hellfire » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:34 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Post your scripts
Beside this, the sample file that you did provide is pretty useless. The resolution of 720x540 shows that it was processed. Put an unfiltered example up, which is only transcoded, no other processing involved.

Taruto!
Org Profile

Post by Taruto! » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:05 pm

Firstly I'm sorry for not replying over the past couple days - my internet's been screwy and I've had barely any time online :(

Secondly, I ran through some more scripts and found that fielddeinterlace() cleaned it up enough for it to be more useable.. it doesn't get rid of all of it but it cleans it up enough for me to be happy with it and for it to be less noticeable.

Thirdly, the resolution in which it was ripped was 720x540, straight to 3ivX - being perfectly honest I don't have the disk space or the time to have to keep reworking footage more than once or twice. The clip uploaded was unprocessed, ripped as 3ivX straight from the disk and then clipped and recompressed for the upload. :? It's probably a sin to work this way but it works for me so I've never felt any need to change..

Thanks for your help/suggestions though. This thread can be closed now :D

Keeper of Hellfire
Org Profile

Post by Keeper of Hellfire » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:18 pm

Taruto Chan wrote:Thirdly, the resolution in which it was ripped was 720x540, straight to 3ivX -
But 720x540 is no DVD resolution, neither PAL nor NTSC. So it's resized, what I count as processing. The resizing is done before deinterlacing - if it's done improperly it can be the reason that you can't remove the interlacing completely.

And ripping to 3ivX for editing - you have luck if you don't encounter much more difficulties. Not to talk about the quality.

I strongly suggest to follow the guides. Regarding the space issue - do you really need more than one project on your hard disk? Beside this, an additional drive isn't that expensive.

Taruto!
Org Profile

Post by Taruto! » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:13 pm

Keeper of Hellfire wrote:But 720x540 is no DVD resolution, neither PAL nor NTSC. So it's resized, what I count as processing. The resizing is done before deinterlacing - if it's done improperly it can be the reason that you can't remove the interlacing completely.
I usually work off the resolution the DVD gives when I insert it in the drive and play it - as far as I'm aware it gave me 720x540, so that's what I ripped it at.
Keeper of Hellfire wrote:And ripping to 3ivX for editing - you have luck if you don't encounter much more difficulties. Not to talk about the quality.
Actually I've never encountered a problem with it, it works in Premiere and every other program efficently - other codecs have caused no end of problems so I've ditched those and until 3ivX throws a spanner in the works I'm not looking to change the way I edit. As for quality, it's not the best I know, but it's as clean as I feel it needs to be - not overly fuzzy/grainy, a decent size, and at a fraction of the size of an uncompressed file. Plus when it's recompressed for distribution it generally all ends up the same anyway..
Keeper of Hellfire wrote:I strongly suggest to follow the guides. Regarding the space issue - do you really need more than one project on your hard disk? Beside this, an additional drive isn't that expensive.
I've read the guides, and helpful as they can be, I don't like them. Considering I have to work with less than 10gb sometimes depending on which computer I'm using (laptop/main computer), compression is the easiest way forward for me without throwing a hissy fit every time I run out of space.. the programs I use work fine for me and I'm going to continue using them until I feel the need to change.

As for multiple projects, I generally don't keep more than one project unless I need to. I've got an external hard drive but I only really use it for backup, not active editing, and it's not a huge hard drive so I can't actively use it too much anyway.

Now, no offense to you since I know you're just trying to be helpful but this thread was about interlacing, not about the way I edit my videos. I appreciate your help and suggestions but to be honest I'm not going to change unless I need to, and as things are, I don't think I do so I'm not going to. :?

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:01 am

Taruto Chan wrote:I usually work off the resolution the DVD gives when I insert it in the drive and play it - as far as I'm aware it gave me 720x540, so that's what I ripped it at.
The player is resizing the footage on playback to match the 4:3 aspect flag. 720x540 was the displayed resolution, not the stored resolution. Stored resolution is 720x576 for PAL and 720x480 for NTSC.

Anyway, from the screenshots it appears to be rather simple ghosting caused by a blend deinterlace. The solution is to field match, which should take care of the issue (note: I have no experience working with PAL footage, so I'm not intimate with the variables here beyond maybe involving a simple interlace and slightly sped-up footage - at least, that's what the guides said it's ideally supposed to be, but it also gave examples where the discs were horribly authored, and gave the impression that's the SOP with PAL discs). This needs to be run on the decrypted source vob that gets obtained via DVDDecrypter or SmartRipper, etc. (unless the disc isn't encrypted, which means you can load the vobs directly from the disc), and indexed with DGIndex.

Now, I don't know the eccentricities here as I mentioned before. The typical matching script I use looks like this (normally I'd also call TDecimate to do IVTC, but since I'm assuming this isn't NTSC footage that doesn't apply - if you want to get 23.976, just use AssumeFPS instead, otherwise just leave it alone):

Code: Select all

MPEG2Source("rah1_1.d2v", ipp=true, cpu=4)
TFM(order=-1,mode=5,PP=7,field=-1,slow=2)
(yeah, I know I always recommend this, but that's only because it works flawlessly or near-flawlessly most of the time - it does require getting the TIVTC package and putting it in AviSynth's plugins folder - it's probably included in the new AMVapp betas since TIVTC has pretty much deprecated Telecide, but for general reference that's the actual site)

After the matching is done the interlacing will be gone, and then you can do whatever else you'd like - resize to 720x540, store as 3ivx, etc.

Return to “AviSynth Help”