Converting DV?

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
§Daisuke
Org Profile

Converting DV?

Post by §Daisuke » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:51 pm

At my school I'm taking a Communications Technology course where we work with graphics and videos. We use Macs which would be great if it weren't for the fact that I need to transfer some of the clips home to my PC to work on. The clips we use are in DV format so I was wondering if there was a way of using DV on Premiere Pro 1.0 or converting it to something editable on Premiere Pro. If so could somebody tell me what programs to use (preferably free or with a trial) and how to go about doing it?

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:28 pm

Premiere supports DV so there shouldnt be anything wrong with it in the first place

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:06 pm

i've imported DV onto 6.5 before. should work on pro as well.
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

§Daisuke
Org Profile

Post by §Daisuke » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:17 pm

when I try importing it it says:
File Format Not Supported

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:21 am

Is the video file a .mov or a .avi ?
The camera uses a codec to compress the footage - a DV tape camera for example uses the DV codec. When this footage is captured to the computer using the DV codec the computer (by default) writes the file into an *.avi format and file suffix. *.avi is not a type of compression but simply a 'wrapper' to go aroud the file that could be encoded in any number of codecs (for example you could have Mpeg4 codec *.avi files). If you connect the same DV camera to a macintosh computer it will still be the identical DV codec but it would be written into a *.mov wrapper not an *.avi wrapper. Internally they are identical, but the file format on the outside is different and has a different suffix.
source

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:23 am

i believe he's saying it's a .DV, which should be working.
last year i used the earthquake effect on imovie at school, exported it as .DV, and used it in premiere 6.5 at home.
it's possible that pro doesn't support .DV, but it would suprise me.
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

§Daisuke
Org Profile

Post by §Daisuke » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:19 pm

it's .dv and Premiere says that the format isn't supported. Do I need a specific codec? If so could you guys give me a link to one?

bryantsinger
Org Profile

Post by bryantsinger » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:26 am

There are adobe premiere pro 2 now, why not try it?

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”