Black screen with occasional garbled nonsense

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
Alpha_Hazard
Org Profile

Black screen with occasional garbled nonsense

Post by Alpha_Hazard » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:27 pm

I'm really sorry for start this, what must certainly be repetitive, thread; search doesn't seem to be working, or maybe it's the library computer I am using. Anyway, on to my issue.

I tried to make a file of invader zim for my intro using the AMV app and guide and when I put it through VirtualDubMod it came out mostly as a black screen with the occasional floating dot or a flash of blue static. I wonder if it is a colorspace thing or if it may be a codec issue. I'll try to give as much information as I can

my avs script looks something like this

Avisource...
Telecide(order=1,guide=1)
Decimate(cycle=5, mode=2)
deen("a3d",4)
(threshold=10,strength=80,mask=true,highq=true)
Crop(8,0,-8,-0)
LanczosResize(640,480)

I was encoding using the Lagarith Lossless Codec

I'm sure I screwed up something really elementary since I haven't actually done this for nearly two years now. Hopefully someone can spot my error, thanks!

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:54 pm

Whats up with the:

(threshold=10,strength=80,mask=true,highq=true)

I think your forgot the function. But that would lead to a script that won't open.

Alpha_Hazard
Org Profile

Post by Alpha_Hazard » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:58 pm

yeah, that ought to have mssharpen in front of it, I copy pasted and must have missed it.

Alpha_Hazard
Org Profile

Post by Alpha_Hazard » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:00 pm

it's definitely in the script though, like you said, if it wasn't it wouldn't have opened in the first place.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:11 am

What version of Lagarith is it? Does it still have this problem if you use HuffYUV (or HuffYUV-YV12, which is available through ffdshow's VFW interface)?

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:12 am

Qyot27 wrote:What version of Lagarith is it? Does it still have this problem if you use HuffYUV (or HuffYUV-YV12, which is available through ffdshow's VFW interface)?
Also, if you comment out msharpen, what happens?

To comment something out, just put a # in front of it like so:

#msharpen(yadda,yadda,yadda)

Alpha_Hazard
Org Profile

Post by Alpha_Hazard » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:04 pm

it is whatever version of lagarith that comes with the AMV app. I haven't tried commenting out the mssharpen, but if that was the problem it wouldn't show up in the preview anyway, right?

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:19 am

Alpha_Hazard wrote:it is whatever version of lagarith that comes with the AMV app. I haven't tried commenting out the mssharpen, but if that was the problem it wouldn't show up in the preview anyway, right?
I can't remember which version comes with the AMVapp, but I'm assuming it's ridiculously old. You can get the most recent version here:
http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

I'm not sure what you mean by it not showing up if msharpen was the problem. Functions aren't immune from causing buggy output even if the syntax is fine and the script works without issue. mfrainbow, for instance, is prone to making video look like someone got a watercolor coloring book wet and the colors end up bleeding and looking splotchy.

But if I am understanding the exact problems I'm sure it is simply the version of Lagarith being used. The only way to figure out would be to either test with the new version or to try compressing it with HuffYUV or HuffYUV-YV12 and see if those exhibit the same glitchy-ness.

Alpha_Hazard
Org Profile

Post by Alpha_Hazard » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:23 pm

I'll give that a try and see what happens...

Alpha_Hazard
Org Profile

Post by Alpha_Hazard » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:45 pm

Alright, I got it to work with Huffyuv, and I downloaded the latest version of lagarith as well, but it's got a new setting avilable for colorspace, should I just leave that at RGB?

Return to “AviSynth Help”