AMV's On DVD Player

-Elin-
Org Profile

AMV's On DVD Player

Post by -Elin- » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:46 pm

What format do i have to get my amvs on to be able to play on my dvd player, and what program should i use to make it that way and put it on the CD-R CD?

Please and Thank You! :D

Joe88
Org Profile

Post by Joe88 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:14 pm

Use Nero Vision Express 4 to convert AVI's and such to a DVD or VCD comaptible format that can be played on a DVD player

808-buma
Org Profile

Post by 808-buma » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:23 pm

as for the format question, you'll need to convert your AMV (I assume that it's in an AVI container currently) into an MPG2 container. This process will require you to have some sort of mpg2 encoder (such as the already-suggested Nero or something like TMPGEnc or something of similar ilk).

Now the 2nd part - getting this onto a CD-R CD...

Well, I know that there are some stand-alone DVD players that will read DVD material off of a CD media, but normally it is suggested to use DVD media instead. A previously owned DVD player I had would only recognize CD media as an audio CD regardless the actual type of data that was stored on it.

You CAN get MPG2 onto a CD by using the SVCD standard, but some players don't support SVCD format (at least 1 of my DVD players didn't, and it was purchased just a year or so ago). I suggest that you use DVD media and encode it as a 'redbook' or playable DVD format (in the VIDEO TS folders, I mean). This way you will be pretty sure that most players out there will be able to play your AMVS on the DVD.

hope this helps

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:41 am

Or just buy a DVD player that can play DivX files. There are several models. Some are under $100.

Keeper of Hellfire
Org Profile

Post by Keeper of Hellfire » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:27 am

A DVD-player that can playback DivX-files must only be able to playback the DivX-certified profiles. So if your AMV doesn't fit that requirements, it is possible that it can't playback them either.

The only CD that can be played on every DVD-player is a VCD. A SVCD provides much better quality and can be played at the most, but not all, DVD-Players. Best quality but least compatibility (except DivX) offers the so called cDVD, a DVD-Structure burned on a CD. For a VCD you need a MPEG1 encoder, for SVCD and cDVD a MPEG2 encoder.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:06 pm

Keeper of Hellfire wrote:The only CD that can be played on every DVD-player is a VCD.
Actually, not all DVD players accept Video CDs. The one sitting on my dresser doesn't, and it's a Sylvania combo VCR/DVD model. Th only surefire way to know that it supports VCD is if it has the 'Compact Disc Digital Video' logo on it. Any others might or might not.

It is possible to author MPEG-1 VCD-spec files (or heck, full SD MPEG-1), mux them with AC3, and shoot them through a DVD authoring program. The result is perfectly spec compliant too, and no MPEG-2 (not that I think using MPEG-1 is a good idea, but if the person don't want to shell out for an MPEG-2 encoder like the one in TMPGEnc...).

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:08 pm

Qyot27 wrote:...but if the person doesn't want to shell out for an MPEG-2 encoder like the one in TMPGEnc...).
That'll teach me for not getting enough sleep.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”