Visual quality problem

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling your footage. If you have questions about capturing/ripping footage, AviSynth, or compression/encoding/converting, look here.

Visual quality problem

Postby Autraya » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:36 am

Hiya,

I seem to have a vis qual problem on my latest AMV, I've tried dicking around with different options in AVIsynth but it makes almost no difference.
I didn't notice it until after I finished the vid (picture is to small in premiere to really see the problem) It also only happens in the second half of the vid and doesn't happen at all to the kenshin clips I used.

Image

Can anyone tell me how to fix this green blocky yuck? or what exactly went wrong?

This is the script I used:
mpeg2source("F:\AMV construction\piece maker\p3\d3 index.d2v",cpu=4,upconv=true)
TomsMoComp(1,5,1)
ConvertToYV12()
LanczosResize(640,480)
vaguedenoiser()
deen("a3d",4)
#tweak(sat=1.2)
FastLineDarken()
AssumeFPS(29.97)
ConvertToRGB24()

The # ones I can't remember if I used or not (have been playing with it for a little while)
new banzors in the making :p
User avatar
Autraya
Zero Punctuation
 
Joined: 11 Mar 2003
Location: Terra Australis
Status: old

Postby CrackTheSky » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:45 am

You're not using downloaded footage, are you?
User avatar
CrackTheSky
Fancy Balls
 
Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Location: Chicago
Status: Maybe editing?

Postby CrackTheSky » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:46 am

*Sees that you're accessing a .d2v file.*

*Should really pay more attention before posting.*

Scratch that :/
User avatar
CrackTheSky
Fancy Balls
 
Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Location: Chicago
Status: Maybe editing?

Postby Autraya » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:48 am

nope, it's not downloaded, I got the DVD's off amazon from the land of stars and stripes.
And i didn't know you could even put downloaded stuff through DGI.
new banzors in the making :p
User avatar
Autraya
Zero Punctuation
 
Joined: 11 Mar 2003
Location: Terra Australis
Status: old

Re: Visual quality problem

Postby Minion » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:42 am

autraya wrote:Hiya,

I seem to have a vis qual problem on my latest AMV, I've tried dicking around with different options in AVIsynth but it makes almost no difference.
I didn't notice it until after I finished the vid (picture is to small in premiere to really see the problem) It also only happens in the second half of the vid and doesn't happen at all to the kenshin clips I used.

Image

Can anyone tell me how to fix this green blocky yuck? or what exactly went wrong?

This is the script I used:
mpeg2source("F:\AMV construction\piece maker\p3\d3 index.d2v",cpu=4,upconv=true)
TomsMoComp(1,5,1)
ConvertToYV12()
LanczosResize(640,480)
vaguedenoiser()
deen("a3d",4)
#tweak(sat=1.2)
FastLineDarken()
AssumeFPS(29.97)
ConvertToRGB24()

The # ones I can't remember if I used or not (have been playing with it for a little while)


not sure why the hell your using both of those. cut back, your using too many filters.
just use ColorYUV(gain) to fix the color.
i think deen is the culprit of how his hair looks. it's trying to smooth over the gradients
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes
User avatar
Minion
 
Joined: 22 May 2004
Location: orlando

Postby Minion » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:43 am

fuck. quoted a picture :/
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes
User avatar
Minion
 
Joined: 22 May 2004
Location: orlando

Re: Visual quality problem

Postby Scintilla » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:28 am

Minion wrote:not sure why the hell your using both of those.

If the script is to be used in TMPGEnc, the RGB24 conversion might be necessary. But otherwise, yeah, it should be removed.

Minion wrote:just use ColorYUV(gain) to fix the color.

ColorYUV won't fix the blocking on his face. And how can you tell how the color needs fixing from a shot that's this dark?

Is this shot from part of a fade to/from black? If so, you might want to switch Deen to a 2D mode instead of a 3D mode; I've had problems in the past with temporal smoothers screwing up fades with blockiness and the like. You might also want to try using the "W" modes of Deen rather than the "A" modes; they're supposed to be better for preserving gradients.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
User avatar
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
 
Joined: 31 Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Status: Quo

Re: Visual quality problem

Postby Qyot27 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:03 pm

Minion wrote:not sure why the hell your using both of those.

Since they declared upconv=true in mpeg2source, deen won't work unless ConvertToYV12() is put in, and ConvertToRGB24 is probably either to put it through TMPGEnc or Premiere (possibly to make HuffYUV clips in RGB mode for fast editing).

Scintilla wrote:If so, you might want to switch Deen to a 2D mode instead of a 3D mode; I've had problems in the past with temporal smoothers screwing up fades with blockiness and the like. You might also want to try using the "W" modes of Deen rather than the "A" modes; they're supposed to be better for preserving gradients.

deen also has a rather high value. 4 tends to go toward the oversmoothed side as it is. I rarely go over a value string of 3,10,12 at the maximum as it is.

It could also be something that TomsMoComp could have thrown in there, or at least exaggerated.
User avatar
Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
 
Joined: 30 Aug 2002
Location: St. Pete, FL
Status: Creepin' between the bullfrogs

Postby Zarxrax » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:18 pm

Remove the vaguedenoiser filter and see if that doesn't help it.
User avatar
Zarxrax
 
Joined: 01 Apr 2001
Location: Concord, NC

Postby Autraya » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:17 pm

As qyot27 mentioned that is why I've put the conversions in.

the shot is not from a fade to black, the last few episodes are at night (they shouldn't be this dark tho), but I increased brightness slightly (+5) in the amv it'self and you can really tell that there is a problem in the second half of the amv not the first (wierd).

I did try using a different deinterlacing method but it didn't really make a difference.
And I've tried not using vaguedenoiser but no real difference (that was my first thought)
I'll try using deen in 2D and reduce to 3 and try the W modes.

And say thnx for the help now everyone (but I'll be back if I've got more questions)
new banzors in the making :p
User avatar
Autraya
Zero Punctuation
 
Joined: 11 Mar 2003
Location: Terra Australis
Status: old


Return to Footage Help

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests