Peace@Pieces extraction, part deux

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Peace@Pieces extraction, part deux

Post by Qyot27 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:06 am

Someone who can actually translate Japanese would be helpful here.

The original thread (in the old Video Software area) is here.

So a couple of days ago I somehow miraculously stumbled upon something which could do exactly what I wanted - it's called ayumilcv.exe and it can handle both the original Peace@Pieces graphics files and those of the fan disk (but just the graphics files - GR.0xx and PIC.0xx - BGM.0xx would spit out the .bin files which I assume are further-archived normal sound, but I couldn't figure out how to get them into a playable form; TP.0xx wouldn't open at all).

It wasn't too hard to figure out how to use the tool (although I found that to work right I did have to run it through AppLocale because I've not had my comp in Japanese codepage mode for a couple months), but I just want to be absolutely sure that what I chose was the best option - or at least what I thought it was. This is the interface:

I'm assuming the three options in the center there are something like 'Save all as/Convert all to BMP', 'Save all as/Convert all to PNG', and 'Save images with alpha as transparent PNG, everything else as BMP' - at least that's what it does when each of those are selected, respectively. I can also assume that the box directly underneath that is simply where one would choose the level of PNG compression, as I've seen that feature and scale before in other places.

The ones I'm the most stumped on are A) the window title; B) the text above the progress bars; C) the right-most button underneath the progress bars, which didn't seem to do anything and could just be toggled on and off. I know one of the two buttons at the bottom clears the field above it (which displays any error messages or warnings, etc. that arise), but I don't know what the other one does.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:12 pm

Wow, nice find with that Applocale thing, I've been looking for something like that for a few days now :)

The window title is "Ayumi-chan LABO *something* tool". Not terribly important I would suppose. I think the 2 kanji characters probably mean "convert", as I see those same characters repeatedly on other parts of the window.

The next line of text says something about pressing the (first) button, something about a file.

I dunno if it would let you, but if you could copy and paste the text here, that would make it easier. Or if no one else gets around to this, I suppose I could go pull out my kanji dictionary. You have it extracting the files how you want though, right?

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:20 pm

The third button means halt/stop, which seems odd since the middle button also seems to mean stop. Maybe one is like pause or something.

On the bottom, the first button is keep/preserve, which I assume means to save the log.
The last button is cancel/erase.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:32 pm

Thanks. I figured much of it was along those lines.
Zarxrax wrote:Wow, nice find with that Applocale thing, I've been looking for something like that for a few days now :)
I can't remember how I stumbled across it originally, only that it was because I needed to find some way to let WinRAR extract archives in folders with Japanese names when using an English codepage, since I was doing a bunch of other stuff at the time and couldn't afford to reset the codepage and reboot.
I dunno if it would let you, but if you could copy and paste the text here, that would make it easier. Or if no one else gets around to this, I suppose I could go pull out my kanji dictionary.
No, it doesn't. If it did I could have run it through the translator at AnimeLab or Babelfish just to get the gist of it. There's no way I'd trust myself to accurately redraw those in the one program that gets installed with the extra language options.
You have it extracting the files how you want though, right?
Yeah, I chose the third option since I figured it'd be the quickest to perform (and since it wouldn't matter if frames without transparency were converted to regular bitmaps or not - PNG may be more efficient on the files themselves but RAR'ing them up does just about as good a job of it, and if I wanted to use them in Premiere I'd need to convert them back to bitmap anyway) - the stuff with transparency came out perfect, though.

Ex.:
and the actual file:

I found that the tool itself is distributed and/or originated by a group called WESTSIDE, which I don't have too much information on but apparently they publish CDs that house extraction tools for all sorts of games and media - some of which include stuff like PsxMC and the Final Fantasy ripping tools, but I'm sure there were literally thousands of programs explicitly for visual novel-type games.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”