Unsupported compression error. Please help!

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling your footage. If you have questions about capturing/ripping footage, AviSynth, or compression/encoding/converting, look here.

Unsupported compression error. Please help!

Postby meleechampion » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:11 pm

Okay, so I did all the leg-work. I marked down sections of videos I want to use clips from. I've downloaded the episodes as dubbed and dvd rips. I have everything all set to make this AMV, but when I try to import the files into Adobe Premiere Pro 7 I get the following error "Unsupported compression in file." What's the easiest way to overcome this? I can't buy the DVDs as much as I want to see this idea come together, its the holidays and I'm strapped for cash as it is. Should I try converting them? What program should I use? They're already .avi, what else does it want?! T_T Please offer some guidance to a noob. Thanks in advance!
meleechampion

Postby Moonie » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:04 pm

You are probably importing clips encoded with divx or xvid.
Those don't work good in editing software.
You should re-encode clips from it in lagrith or huffy using virtualdub
http://www.virtualdub.org/
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Moonie
Give me some candy!

Postby Krisqo » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:11 pm

.avi is not a codec but rather a container. I won't go into specifics but never refer to .avi along the lines of a codec... may piss some people off.

What's happening is that your files are encoded with a codec that you either may not have on your PC or is not liked by Premiere. I get this when I try to import .avs files but forget to install the AVS plugin.

Moonie's suggestion should work with nearly every codec and container out there.
Krisqo
Cooking Oil

Postby meleechampion » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:25 am

Okay! Yeah, that worked. Thanks! Oh, and btw, read a little closer and you'll find I never said anything about the filetype ".avi" being a codec. :P
meleechampion

Return to Footage Help