Is making video load and work faster in premiere possible

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
shishlik
Org Profile

Is making video load and work faster in premiere possible

Post by shishlik » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:22 am

In the projects that i tried to start I usually made avs files and then edited them in premiere. I add different filters to make quality better but until I export I add '#' to them. I was wondering how to make premiere load videos and edit them faster? Is it possible through filters in avs or maybe the only thing that matters is the decoding speed of the files?

Keeper of Hellfire
Org Profile

Post by Keeper of Hellfire » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:04 am

How should this work? :? Every additional filter will make the decoding slower. The only filter that possibly could make it slightly faster is the conversion to RGB color space if it is more efficient than the algorithm in premiere. Afaik the newer Premiere Pro versions will work in YV12 colorspace either, so a conversion may slow it down.

Since you turn off all filters during editing the only way to speed up the editing is changing your method. Either make lossless clips or use the bait and switch method.

shishlik
Org Profile

Post by shishlik » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:31 am

I might try the bait and change method then but if so what codec should i encode the files to? (which would be the fastest?).

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:16 pm

shishlik wrote:I might try the bait and change method then but if so what codec should i encode the files to? (which would be the fastest?).
MJPEG. If you installed the VFW portion of ffdshow, then you already have an encoder for it that doesn't leave a watermark. Otherwise, you can get it at http://x264.nl (make sure to uninstall any existing ffdshow installation - especially so if it's the one from the CCCP - first)

The ffdshow VFW also allows you to use YV12-mode HuffYUV (which for some reason decodes at or close to realtime on my ancient computer, even though the other modes won't). Just in case you really want to save space but don't want to mess with further slowdown from using Lagarith.

If you want to make lossless clips though, RGB-mode HuffYUV is the fastest.

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:44 am

This is the reason I switched from working with AVS/fake AVI files and went to making clips with Huffyuv or Lagarith. The pre-editing process takes more time, but the timeline editing is much faster. Plus, I can pre-process the video clips to improve visual quality before it goes into my editor and gets all modified (sped up, slowed down, faded, etc.). This also means that post-processing is usually unnecessary, or the amount is very minor.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:56 am

Willen wrote:Plus, I can pre-process the video clips to improve visual quality before it goes into my editor and gets all modified (sped up, slowed down, faded, etc.). This also means that post-processing is usually unnecessary, or the amount is very minor.
You can still do that with scripts... just apply all the filters before you're ready to make your final export.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:08 pm

Scintilla wrote:
Willen wrote:Plus, I can pre-process the video clips to improve visual quality before it goes into my editor and gets all modified (sped up, slowed down, faded, etc.). This also means that post-processing is usually unnecessary, or the amount is very minor.
You can still do that with scripts... just apply all the filters before you're ready to make your final export.
That's what I do. Their are some filters that change the speed of your video like changing fps and some deinterlacing method.. I make sure I add those before I edit do all the cropping resizing I need to get done, and edit with those and playback is as smooth as it would be for lossless files, and when I'm ready to export I add in all my smoothing/sharpening/whatever filters.. the shit that isn't needed while editing and the shit that really slows down playback. This is what I do and it works quite well. I like this method a lot because you could always go back and change something with your advanced script and it takes a shit load less space.

shishlik
Org Profile

Post by shishlik » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:23 pm

that's what i usually do except that i think it might be actually better to edit something like an mjpeg with all the scrips included so it will work fast and smooth in premiere and i'll know how it really looks with all the filters than before export i'll re-encode the clips i actually used to lossless and use them instead of the edited ones.
only drawback for me is if something goes wrong and the hole project is gone...

Keeper of Hellfire
Org Profile

Post by Keeper of Hellfire » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:04 am

x_rex30 wrote:Their are some filters that change the speed of your video like changing fps and some deinterlacing method.. I make sure I add those before I edit do all the cropping resizing I need to get done, and edit with those and playback is as smooth as it would be for lossless files, ....
That's only true if you have a strong PC. If the PC is a little bit older like mine, editing with scripts becomes a mess, even if the only filter that is applied is deinterlacing/IVTC.
x_rex30 wrote:I like this method a lot because ... it takes a shit load less space.
Compared with what? If you work with multiple episodes/anime, you can save much space with making lossless clips, because you can get rid of the vobs after you've made the clips. If you have a good preplanning, you need 1...2 GB HuffYUV clips per minute of your final AMV, with Lagarith you can even save 30%. So you need 3.5 ... 7 GB for an average 3.5 minutes AMV. That means somewhere between 4 and 7 usual episodes is the point where making clips uses less space than editing with scripts.

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:29 am

Scintilla wrote:
Hmm, what I meant to say was that I get to edit with the nice, cleaned up clips. And I also don't need to redo the script before export. But, yeah. I suppose I need sleep.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Return to “AviSynth Help”