bad encode?

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling your footage. If you have questions about capturing/ripping footage, AviSynth, or compression/encoding/converting, look here.

Postby dowhatnow » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:57 pm

The source is Saiyuki: Requiem

Here they are:

Snapshot 1
Snapshot 2
Snapshot 3
Snapshot 4
Snapshot 5

This is by no means all of them, but all of the video errors are of the same type... I think. If you'll look at the top just under the letterboxing, you'll see what I'm talking about.
dowhatnow

Postby Kariudo » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:08 pm

yep...that's premiere pro being stupid.
other than that I can't see anything that should be fixed
did you try opening it in avisynth with avisource()?
(not sure what default(avisource) does)

what about just opening the uncompressed vid with vdub(/mod)?
does it still give you that scrambled (for lack of better term) picture?
ImageImage
Kariudo
Twilight prince

Postby dowhatnow » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:25 pm

I have opened it in avisynth with avisource(). It appears fine in VDub, but when I try to compress it, not only does VDub close unexpectedly, it creates a beta that's far too large for the amount of time that it runs. Not only that, when I try to view the aforementioned beta, it's either badly broken or it doesn't show video at all. I'm trying again as I type.

As for that uncompressed straight into vdub, it did last time I tried it, but I've added a couple clips since then, and I've tried again, and yes, it does.
dowhatnow

Postby dowhatnow » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:12 pm

I just finished encoding the video I exported in lagarith and then opened using avisource(), and it stopped and closed VDub when the encoding process got to 785/810 frames. It should still play (I think), but it doesn't. What's going on here?

I tried exporting again using DebugMode Frameserver, but it basically told me that nothing was happening. Not only that, I looked at the settings, and it asks me for an IP address and a port number to FrameServe. Does anyone know how to use this thing very well? I'm confused.

One other thing: Could I get away with selecting "None" from the drop-down list of compressors Pro 2.0 has? Wouldn't that essentially be uncompressed?

Also, in the pre-processing stage, should I convert the video into another colorspace such as RGB?
dowhatnow

Postby dowhatnow » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:10 pm

I sincerely apologize for the triple post, but I think I've found a remedy to my problem.

What I did was:

1. Export from Pro in Huffy, Lagarith, and Uncompressed
    2. Only Huffy and Lagarith seemed fine in VDubMod, so I proceeded with the next step, testing both codecs
    3. Went through all my scripts/filters then added ConverttoRGB32() at the end
    4. Encoded in Uncompressed
    5. Re-encoded in XviD
    6. Added audio

All the errors I mentioned went away when encoded in uncompressed, and the quality is pretty damn nice on the huffy version of the XviD encode.

My questions are:

Should I have opened the uncompressed encode in VDM again, using only ConverttoYV12() in the script?

Should I have added an extra step and encoded in huffy or lagarith for either version between steps 4 and 5?

If I were to use this video in an MEP, would I do what I asked before?
dowhatnow

Postby Kariudo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:39 am

sorry I haven't been responding.
I ran out of ideas a while ago, and I don't know why that chain of events led to a good result

so instead of trying to explain it (and probably fail at it) I felt it better to let someone else respond...but it seems that nobody else did
ImageImage
Kariudo
Twilight prince

Postby Willen » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:29 am

jonnkakarotto wrote:Should I have opened the uncompressed encode in VDM again, using only ConverttoYV12() in the script?

I'd skip the ConverttoYV12() if the RGB32 works. IMO, Uncompressed is better left at RGB32. For XviD/DivX/MPEG-4 encodes, the encoder should automatically convert the final output to YV12. The less colorspace conversions, the better.

jonnkakarotto wrote:Should I have added an extra step and encoded in huffy or lagarith for either version between steps 4 and 5?

No, UNLESS you need (or want) to keep a lossless compressed copy to save that uses less hard drive/DVD/CD space, OR...

jonnkakarotto wrote:If I were to use this video in an MEP, would I do what I asked before?
[/quote]
Depending on the MEP's submission requirements, if XviD/DivX isn't accepted for final segments, I'd re-encode the Uncompressed to Lagarith or Huffyuv for sending/uploading.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image
Willen
Now in Hi-Def!

Postby dowhatnow » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:33 am

No problem, Kariudo. You did what you could, and it helped me greatly.

Willen wrote:
jonnkakarotto wrote:Should I have opened the uncompressed encode in VDM again, using only ConverttoYV12() in the script?

I'd skip the ConverttoYV12() if the RGB32 works. IMO, Uncompressed is better left at RGB32. For XviD/DivX/MPEG-4 encodes, the encoder should automatically convert the final output to YV12. The less colorspace conversions, the better.

jonnkakarotto wrote:Should I have added an extra step and encoded in huffy or lagarith for either version between steps 4 and 5?

No, UNLESS you need (or want) to keep a lossless compressed copy to save that uses less hard drive/DVD/CD space, OR...

jonnkakarotto wrote:If I were to use this video in an MEP, would I do what I asked before?

Depending on the MEP's submission requirements, if XviD/DivX isn't accepted for final segments, I'd re-encode the Uncompressed to Lagarith or Huffyuv for sending/uploading.[/quote]

Thanks for that. I'll remember just how I did this so that when it happens next time (because I'm sure it will), I won't have to deal with such a headache.

Thanks to everyone who posted, helping me out a bunch.
dowhatnow

Previous

Return to Footage Help