AVS Script trouble

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
Melanchthon
Org Profile

Post by Melanchthon » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:03 pm

Warpwind wrote:But if telecide keeps the same framerate why is decimate even mentioned in the guide? Is it just for completeness sake?
Becouse, for material that was originally film, the original DVD framerate is wrong. Telecine creates 29.97fps material by duplicating the two fields of one frame, turning what was once four progressive frames into three progressive and two combed. When you recreate the original video frames using Telecide that duplicate frame is no longer necessary, so Decimate deletes it.

Ciato
Org Profile

Post by Ciato » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:57 pm

I just can't win :P

Sorry to keep bothering you guys, but I've run into another problem.
All of the in-outpoint issues have been resolved, my new enemy is filesize :(

My video is 6 minutes and 5 seconds long. As a Huffy straight out of Premiere it's 3,626,070,016 bytes at 29.97 fps, which I assume is normal.

I followed the instructions in EADFAG about XviD compression.

The product of my first pass is 235,528,192 bytes, at which point I began to feel uneasy.
Now I WATCHED this thing and I loved it. The Data Rate is 629kbps

Now with that filesize, it was very apparent to me that I needed a second pass. So I used the calculator built into XviD and basically put in numbers that said "I want a 99mb file please."
The product of my second pass was 168,669,184 bytes running 450kbps.

Screen resolution has remained 640x480 from the source Huffys to exported Huffy to compressed AVIs. And yes, I did compress my audio (13.5 mb for the 6 minute MP3 compressed from ~50mb CD ripped WAV)

I wanted a 99mb file just to avoid the large upload permission. But with a 6 minute video, should I not be expecting a file that small?

Basically, a final few questions to decide the fate of the video.

1) Given the parameters (6 mins 5 secs in length, 640x480 resolution, 29.97fps), should I be expecting a file <100mb with respectable quality?

2) If not, I am prepared to bite the bullet and request large upload permission, but what size value should I enter for my second pass? Would the 70% rule mentioned in EADFAG be sufficient?

I made a few mistakes with this video. I didn't know very much about AVIsynth a year ago when I started editing the timeline. Four months later when I finished the timeline, I ran into exporting problems and gave up. 8 months later brings me to now, knowing far more about AVIsynth, but being somewhat restricted in my options because I have already completed my timeline in Premiere.

I got a feeling I'm on the home stretch here though. Thanks a lot to everybody who's helped me out here :)

Melanchthon
Org Profile

Post by Melanchthon » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:59 pm

Ciato wrote:1) Given the parameters (6 mins 5 secs in length, 640x480 resolution, 29.97fps), should I be expecting a file <100mb with respectable quality?
Maybe. You could try using a temporal smoother, but I'm not sure how effective it would be given that you've got short clips that might or might not have effects added as well. There's also the 'zones' option in XviD if it's a few bits of the video that require a high bitrate, but you might have to bite the bullet and drop the resolution to preserve quality and keep the filesize under 100MB.

Three and a half GB for that Huffy export seems a little on the small side though... anyone with more exporting experience have anything to add?

Ciato
Org Profile

Post by Ciato » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:09 pm

Doesn't Deen a3d act as a temporal smoother?
(My scripts are on the first page)

Melanchthon
Org Profile

Post by Melanchthon » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:13 pm

>.< I even took a look at the script to see what you were using. Don't know how I missed the 3. Okay, forget that then.

Ciato
Org Profile

Post by Ciato » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:16 pm

I should repost them, they've changed a bit.

Code: Select all

AVIsource("C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\Desktop\1\Source1.avi")
ConvertToYV12()
crop (0,60,-0,-60)
lanczosresize (640,480)
deen ("a3d",3,3,5,4)
fastlinedarken()
awarpsharp()
ConvertToRGB32()

Code: Select all

AVIsource("C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\Desktop\1\Source2.avi")
ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true)
TomsMoComp(1,5,1)
lanczosresize (640,480)
deen ("a3d",3,3,5,4)
fastlinedarken()
awarpsharp()
ConvertToRGB32()

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:26 pm

Hmm... 3.6GB to 236MB. Something is off somewhere. I've never had a video, no matter how bad the quality, compress so little. I would suggest using AVI synth to import your huffy into VDubMod and try playing with some other filters to see if that would help. For starters, replace Lanczos Resize with BiCubicResize since it is a little easier to compress.

I would also double check your Xvid settings just to be sure you set everything up right and then tell Xvid you want a < 99MB, maybe go with 60 - 70 since Huffy is very resiliant (I got a 500MB huff down to under 20 with some minor to moderate loss in quality)

3.6GB is a little small. My last video was the same size for a 4:14 video but I got it down to just under 60MB in the end.

Ciato
Org Profile

Post by Ciato » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:23 pm

I'm going to change my resize filter to bicubicresize (512,384)

If that doesn't work I'm going to become an hero :P

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:40 pm

trying lowering the bitrate...

Pwolf

Ciato
Org Profile

Post by Ciato » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:56 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but this seems to have become a compression issue now so I guess I'll just make a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Return to “AviSynth Help”