Ripping Footage from Funimation DVDs

A forum for assistance with capturing or ripping footage from various media sources.
OtherSideofSky
Org Profile

Ripping Footage from Funimation DVDs

Post by OtherSideofSky » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:40 pm

I have discovered that on many Funimation DVDs (especially FMA), the footage repeats the same 1-2 second section twice before going to the next segment when I look at it in DGIndex or Virtualdubmod. In Furuba, Samurai 7, and most other stuff it's only parts with credits, but on FMA it's absolutely everything. How do I fix this?

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: Ripping Footage from Funimation DVDs

Post by Scintilla » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:19 pm

OtherSideofSky wrote:I have discovered that on many Funimation DVDs (especially FMA), the footage repeats the same 1-2 second section twice before going to the next segment when I look at it in DGIndex or Virtualdubmod. In Furuba, Samurai 7, and most other stuff it's only parts with credits, but on FMA it's absolutely everything. How do I fix this?
This reeks of multiple angles.
<a>Absolute Destiny</a> wrote:<b>Complex Mutiple Angle DVDs - His and Her Circumstances volume 1</b>

TRSI's release of Kare Kano was praised for it's excellent use of the DVD format with multiple subtitles and alternative angles giving you a different Op/Ed/Next Ep preview depending on whether you were watching in English or Japanese. This is great when watching but complicated when ripping.

The DVD structure for this disc is as follows. All the episodes are contained in one Video Title Set, VTS_01 but there are 8 different Program Chains, PGC1 to PGC6 are the episodes and the last two are extras. So, again, you'd have to rip episode by epsiode.

However, there is an added complication. These PGCs have two angles. One is the English angle and the other is the Japanese angle. One contains the English opening, the other the Japanese one and so on. So there are a few things you need to do. Firstly, you need to work out which angle is which. This is tricky to do so you might as well try ripping one of the episodes and having a look. Secondly you need to <b>rip each epsiode individually.</b> This is important because ripping in file mode with a multi angle dvd will give you video streams with both the angles interleaved together so that when you decode it you will get a second of one angle followed by the same second of the next angle. This would only happen during the opening, closing, eyecatches and next episode preview but it is enough to be a hassle when getting footage.
In order to do this, you'll probably have to rip in "IFO mode" (your ripper may use a different name).
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:20 pm

Grah, the link didn't work. It's clearly been a while since the last time I stuck a link in a "quote" tag.

Here's the original page that passage was from:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... ogetb.html
ImageImage

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:21 pm

OtherSideofSky wrote:I have discovered that on many Funimation DVDs (especially FMA), the footage repeats the same 1-2 second section twice before going to the next segment when I look at it in DGIndex or Virtualdubmod. In Furuba, Samurai 7, and most other stuff it's only parts with credits, but on FMA it's absolutely everything. How do I fix this?
Are you sure? I had no problems at all with FMA - AFAIK, only the credits and some (all?) of the episode previews are multiangled, not the episode itself.

Then again, I also use SmartRipper, so that might have something to do with it.

xRosette_Christopherx
Org Profile

Post by xRosette_Christopherx » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:41 am

I've had the exact same problem with FMA.

OtherSideofSky
Org Profile

Post by OtherSideofSky » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:15 am

Thanks. Does anyone knowwhat setting I should use to do this with DVD Decrypter?

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:26 am

On the Mode menu, make sure IFO is selected. I don't see anywhere to specify which angle to rip; perhaps someone who's done this before with DVD Decrypter could shed more shadow on the situation.
ImageImage

mikestrife
Org Profile

Post by mikestrife » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:43 pm

I've always done it a really annoying way, by using DVD shrink to burn a new dvd (since you can choose the angle to burn) and then decrypt that dvd. I'm sure there are way faster/better ways but this has worked great for me on the Grave of Fireflies SE and FMA dvds 1-4.

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:43 am

mikestrife wrote:I've always done it a really annoying way, by using DVD shrink to burn a new dvd (since you can choose the angle to burn) and then decrypt that dvd. I'm sure there are way faster/better ways but this has worked great for me on the Grave of Fireflies SE and FMA dvds 1-4.
If you are using DVD Shrink for this, you can skip the burning of the DVD part and just have the software stick the single angle VOBs into a folder on your hard drive. This also saves you having to repeat the ripping procedure with DVD Decrypter on the single angle DVD.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

OtherSideofSky
Org Profile

Post by OtherSideofSky » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:30 pm

Thankyou Very Much.

Return to “Capturing / Ripping Help”