How to rip PS2 FMV files - Step by Step Guide.

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling your footage. If you have questions about capturing/ripping footage, AviSynth, or compression/encoding/converting, look here.

Postby Killer_Moogle » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:57 pm

(hey, its fine... almost everyone is looking for a method to rip movies from ffx-2 lately)
Alright... i went through some other PS2 games... and GENERALLY... if there is no name given to the disc when DVD Decryptor reads it, it will not work for this process. I id, however, find that some games which WERE readable, didn't work either. BUT... they already had the movies in .PSS format anyways. I have also found that my games by Sony, EA, and Rockstar have the vids already in the .PSS format, so you merely have to copy the PSS files that you want from the disc and onto the hard drive, THEN run PSS Plex. I hope this may clear up a bit of the air...
Killer_Moogle

Re: Kingdom Hearts

Postby kiarrens » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:31 pm

DarkAlex wrote:I too tried to rip Kingdom Hearts and encountered the same error. I then did it without splitting the files, which I don't know why you'd do in the first place, and encountered the same error around 966 Mb, which is where it was before. You who have seen this error as well, does it occur at that specific place for all of us?

Yup. 966 it is. Has anyone managed to successfully rip Kingdom Hearts? Maybe it's just too well encoded or something...
ConnectiCon 2009 - 2013: FMV Contest Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2010 - 2013: Cosplay Chess Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2012/2013: Assistant Masquerade Coordinator
kiarrens
Hagane no Aikousha

Postby jjamriska » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:09 pm

good news: i found a kh iso extractor
bad news: when i ran it, it generated about 3k files, which are of type .unk, .evm, .elf, .set, and .vce

can anything be done with this stuff, or am i wasting my time?
jjamriska

Postby jjamriska » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:27 pm

since we cant edit, it looks like ill have to double post....

i went ahead and ran the extracter program on the 3k+ files the iso extracter i found generated, and it got stuck at 97% complete- at the exact point where the label on the little green box in the top right corner changed to say mpg. is it possible that the program is finding an mpg, then simply taking forvever to extract it? has anyone tried just letting it run for a while?
jjamriska

Postby jjamriska » Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:23 pm

yes im posting again.....

i ran extractor on those 3000+ files- it would get stuck on 4 of them. they are all of type .unk, which stands for unknown. does anyone know of anything that can be done with these files or am i at a dead end?
jjamriska

Postby disgust » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:06 pm

I would really, really appreciate some help here:

when I try to demultiplex with pss plex, I get "invalid bits in mpeg1 stream" and it won't do anything.

how do I fix this?

if you could help me I would be quite thankful.
disgust

Postby disgust » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:47 pm

update:

the pss files do not work in pss plex, tmpgenc, vdub, or vdubmpg. HOWEVER, they work fine in dvd software players (windvd, powerdvd) and adobe premiere.

importing each video into premiere and then exporting the timeline takes a LOOOOONGGGGGGGGG time. I'm getting about 2 frames a second for some reason.

anyone know either how to speed this up or another way to get around this?
disgust

Postby Castor Troy » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:40 am

disgust wrote:update:

the pss files do not work in pss plex, tmpgenc, vdub, or vdubmpg. HOWEVER, they work fine in dvd software players (windvd, powerdvd) and adobe premiere.

importing each video into premiere and then exporting the timeline takes a LOOOOONGGGGGGGGG time. I'm getting about 2 frames a second for some reason.

anyone know either how to speed this up or another way to get around this?

You can avisynth pss files.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E

Postby disgust » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:53 am

thank you for the reply.

avisynth has to be used with another program, correct? what should I use it with?

and also, is there some reason why pss plex doesn't work? did you use it on the jp version of the game and not the us?
disgust

Postby disgust » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:52 am

hm, sorry, but I wanted to ask this before I went to all the trouble to avisynth it...

what I basically need now (since pss plex won't work) is a way to get the audio working... this would be the way to do it? is there any way you could walk me through it? or at least point me in the right direction?
disgust

Postby disgust » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:03 pm

no one knows any additional ways to demultiplex then readd the audio?

or what's up with the error (when loading into pss plex) and how to fix it?
disgust

Postby BigDude » Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:21 pm

MFAudio can get the audio from the videos. It worked with FFX-2 for me anyway. Zophar.net has it right here.

That'll get you the wave file. So now you should have the audio and video, then if you want to multiplex it use AVISynth and VurtualDub or which ever prefered program.
I used the command: AudioDub(video,audio) in my script to avoid de-syncing. And then go from there for compressing if thats what you're after.

Either way, MFAudio will get the wave for you.
BigDude

Postby DemonSpawn » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:48 pm

With the ending of FFX-2 I got an overflow error from PSS Plex, probably due to the size. PSS Demux worked fine, though. Just drag and drop. *shrugs*
DemonSpawn

Postby disgust » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:50 pm

thank you, pss demux seems to work.

what would be the best way to multiplex the wav + m2v into an mpeg without losing quality? tmpgenc doesn't seem to like the wav...
disgust

Postby DemonSpawn » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:48 pm

I've never made an mpeg file, so I don't know...

So Castor Troy's method works for .pss files on some games. What about games that use other formats, or tricks of some kind? For example, any of the .hack games, Silent Hill 3, or Xenosaga?

I haven't tried Xenosaga yet, but there seem to be only a few .pss files on both the .hack series and Silent Hill 3 (such as the opening). Is there another method for these?
DemonSpawn

PreviousNext

Return to Footage Help