Fixing grain and deinterlacing? (Code Geass)

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling your footage. If you have questions about capturing/ripping footage, AviSynth, or compression/encoding/converting, look here.

Re: Fixing grain and deinterlacing? (Code Geass)

Postby mirkosp » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:41 am

The MaskTools.dll is enough. But really, you can do this without HQDering. Smoothd2 should be enough. I was just listing good filters to deal with the issues in your source, but you didn't have to use them all in the same script.
mirkosp
MODkip

Postby Dext3r » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:18 am

Ok this took me a long time to respond to because my internet went out for 5 days.

So I redid all my footage without those unneeded commands, and adding in the Smoothd2, but I'm not sure if its really doing anything?

Here's what was in the old footage:

Dext3r wrote:Secondly, I've noticed a lot of what I think is noise?

Spoiler :
Quoted Image converted to link:
http://i.imgur.com/HkBehyr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8YVRxfY.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rFpSdD1.jpg

Here's what came out of the new footage:

Also, I'm now noticing some pixelation throughout (is this the same issue?) that I wouldn't know if it was present in the original since I hadn't gotten that far yet in looking through the footage.

This is from the show itself:

This is from one of the openings:

Thank you to both of you for your time and support.
Dext3r

Postby l33tmeatwad » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:57 am

I would suggest filtering the sections with bad blocking by themselves (to avoid causing extra detail loss in other parts of the video) with a stronger settings for smoothd2, it's a process of trial and error.
Sites: Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
Guides & Scripts: AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | Anime Upscale
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
l33tmeatwad

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:45 am

Does this source normally look this bad?. That looks all kinds of horrible (and it looks like it was already put through a number of rounds of bad lossy compression)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2014 & Head of the AAC Fan-works Theater - follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/AACFanTheater
:sorcerer: :sorcerer: |RD: "Oh, Action!" (side-by-side) | |
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby Dext3r » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:10 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Does this source normally look this bad?. That looks all kinds of horrible (and it looks like it was already put through a number of rounds of bad lossy compression)

I don't know, but its clearly distracting and I really need a fix for this, as its for an AMV that's due in less than a week now.
Dext3r

Postby mirkosp » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:49 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Does this source normally look this bad?. That looks all kinds of horrible (and it looks like it was already put through a number of rounds of bad lossy compression)

Yeah, it does seem like it could be a bootleg... I didn't recall the code geass' DVDs being this bad.
mirkosp
MODkip

Postby Dext3r » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:57 pm

mirkosp wrote:

Yeah, it does seem like it could be a bootleg... I didn't recall the code geass' DVDs being this bad.

It definitely isn't, unless that's what I was sold at an anime convention.

Anyways, what about using a command like dfttest?
Dext3r

Postby Dext3r » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:14 pm

Nevermind, I just tried dfttest(sigma=35) on that footage with the girl with the green hair (IMO the worst offender out of the examples I gave) and it looks exactly the same.

What else can I try?
Dext3r

Postby mirkosp » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:51 pm

Dext3r wrote:It definitely isn't, unless that's what I was sold at an anime convention.

I know I got sold a bootleg at a con... so unless you bought it at the official licensor's booth, it could still be a bootleg. :sweat:

But anyway, instead of upscaling it like there was no tomorrow, you could just edit at a lower resolution.
Code Geass was released on Blu-ray disc, so if you really want to edit at 720p or 1080p you could get that, it'll look better to boot (and would also actually have some more detail).
mirkosp
MODkip

Postby Dext3r » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:06 pm

mirkosp wrote:
Dext3r wrote:It definitely isn't, unless that's what I was sold at an anime convention.

I know I got sold a bootleg at a con... so unless you bought it at the official licensor's booth, it could still be a bootleg. :sweat:

But anyway, instead of upscaling it like there was no tomorrow, you could just edit at a lower resolution.
Code Geass was released on Blu-ray disc, so if you really want to edit at 720p or 1080p you could get that, it'll look better to boot (and would also actually have some more detail).

Wait what? I didn't upscale anything, I just fullscreened what I'm working with in premiere and took a screenshot.

I'm working with 848x480 footage.
Dext3r

Postby mirkosp » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:24 pm

In order to fullscreen, you are effectively resizing the footage to fit that screen. That's upscaling, if just for playback purposes and not in-source. Inflating the resolution is just going to make more obvious issues that can be less visible at a lower resolution. Ideally, if you're ok with that, you could downscale your footage to something like 768x432 or 704x396; it's pretty sad to do that in 2013, but when you downscale, you're going to blur and hide some of the artefacts, so it's an easy way out, though it won't suffice on its own. Assuming you can get the worst of it gone with smoothd2 and the rest with the downscale, it should looks somewhat decent even if small.
mirkosp
MODkip

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:31 pm

Dext3r wrote: I just fullscreened what I'm working with in premiere and took a screenshot.

lol wut?

You're confusing the issue by using a preview codec + forced upscale. Show us your filtered source before you put it in premiere at the normal resolution it's at.
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2014 & Head of the AAC Fan-works Theater - follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/AACFanTheater
:sorcerer: :sorcerer: |RD: "Oh, Action!" (side-by-side) | |
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby Dext3r » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:05 am

mirkosp wrote:In order to fullscreen, you are effectively resizing the footage to fit that screen. That's upscaling, if just for playback purposes and not in-source. Inflating the resolution is just going to make more obvious issues that can be less visible at a lower resolution. Ideally, if you're ok with that, you could downscale your footage to something like 768x432 or 704x396; it's pretty sad to do that in 2013, but when you downscale, you're going to blur and hide some of the artefacts, so it's an easy way out, though it won't suffice on its own. Assuming you can get the worst of it gone with smoothd2 and the rest with the downscale, it should looks somewhat decent even if small.

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
Dext3r wrote: I just fullscreened what I'm working with in premiere and took a screenshot.

lol wut?

You're confusing the issue by using a preview codec + forced upscale. Show us your filtered source before you put it in premiere at the normal resolution it's at.

My fault, I didn't realize that was using a different codec and screwing everything up.

I had a long conversation with L33twad, and actually tried exporting and discovered it was something in Premiere's codec and apparently not at all in the original source (to my knowledge).

I'm now using a version of mvtools' mdegrain (which is incredibly slow and going to take days to convert all the footage).
Dext3r

Previous

Return to Footage Help