10bit to 8bit question

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
pacotacoshell
Org Profile

10bit to 8bit question

Post by pacotacoshell » Sun May 06, 2012 4:38 am

Okay, so I know how to export a 10bit mkv to an 8bit avi in vdub, but how would I go about exporting a 10bit mkv to an 8bit mkv? If that's possible. xD

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: 10bit to 8bit question

Post by mirkosp » Sun May 06, 2012 5:26 am

I'm not sure what you want to do exactly. Do you mean without re-encoding? Cause that would be impossible. If re-encoding is fine then just loading the avs directly in whichever software you use to encode to mkv will do (zarxgui can directly output mkv as well). If your software only does mp4, then I guess you can remux to mkv with mkvmergegui after you encode.
Ideally you could do everything from the x264 cli directly (i think it can take 10bit mkv input just fine since it has ffms2 decoding of the input anyway, but I haven't specifically tried) and just output the encoded mkv from there all in one go, but I assume the former method can be easier.

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Sun May 06, 2012 2:59 pm

mirkosp wrote:I'm not sure what you want to do exactly. Do you mean without re-encoding? Cause that would be impossible. If re-encoding is fine then just loading the avs directly in whichever software you use to encode to mkv will do (zarxgui can directly output mkv as well). If your software only does mp4, then I guess you can remux to mkv with mkvmergegui after you encode.
Ideally you could do everything from the x264 cli directly (i think it can take 10bit mkv input just fine since it has ffms2 decoding of the input anyway, but I haven't specifically tried) and just output the encoded mkv from there all in one go, but I assume the former method can be easier.
My whole goal here is to recontainer the 10bit mkv into an mp4 instead of a lossless avi so it doesn't quintuple the output file size. xD I don't really know how to output to mkv/mp4 on vdub.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sun May 06, 2012 4:16 pm

But for which purpose do you need to change the format? If it's for playback, what I already said is completely fine.
If it's for editing, then I'm sorry, but you should really be using lossless clips.

Return to “AviSynth Help”