Trouble Muxing with PCM

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Trouble Muxing with PCM

Post by mirkosp » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:09 am

The rules are indeed clearer now, but I still have doubts. I am pretty sure that at the very least .mpg does not take pcm audio muxed, so does it mean that the audio can/should be uploaded separately from the video? If that is the case, then OP's request is solved quite easily, otherwise I'll stick to my q1 xvid suggestion.
I realize you can't do much about the rules for this year and you haven't made them originally, so I just hope you'll be able to overhaul them a bit next year.

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:38 am

mirkosp wrote:The rules are indeed clearer now, but I still have doubts. I am pretty sure that at the very least .mpg does not take pcm audio muxed, so does it mean that the audio can/should be uploaded separately from the video? If that is the case, then OP's request is solved quite easily, otherwise I'll stick to my q1 xvid suggestion.
I realize you can't do much about the rules for this year and you haven't made them originally, so I just hope you'll be able to overhaul them a bit next year.

Back when I used to author DVDs (ahhh... good ol' Scenarist), proper spec was to either use AC3 encoding or PCM for the audio. Also, I used TMPGEnc to mux MPEG2 files with WAV/PCM audio. In fact, proper DVD spec dictated that the proper encoding options to remain in spec were AC3 and WAV/PCM. DTS was later added as an optional. TMPGEnc also supported MPEG-1 Layer II audio, but for some reason that was considered out of spec even though most DVD players had no problem with it.

In any case, I'm pretty sure PCM is valid with MPG2. Whether the various software programs one happens to be using supports it is a different thing though. :)

The best solution I can give is to put multiple different encodes on a single disc. I'll use whatever looks best and works best.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:46 am

But .mpg is not .VOB, so while the DVD spec allows PCM, I believe that .mpg as a container does not.
EDIT: And indeed I was at least partially correct. LPCM is not part of mpeg per standard, but is allowed within private stream so DVDs make use of that in order to work. Which means that it could work, but layer II audio should be preferred when muxing to .mpg.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:38 am

LPCM is allowed in H.222 program streams as private data.

My concerns on this are more along PAR limits and the stupid choice of containers. The playback for the finals seems a bit derp too but I get that not all venues can cater to DVI or HDMI input nor have a capable person handling the playback in the event of the coordinator not doing it.

PM'd some concerns etc.

Return to “AviSynth Help”