Virtual Dub Problem

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
Chained(E)Studio
Org Profile

Virtual Dub Problem

Post by Chained(E)Studio » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:23 am

I will post picture if needed.

Code: Select all

ffvideosource("C:\Users\Ashy\Downloads\ef_a_tale_of_melodies_(2008)_[1080p,BluRay,x264]_-_THORA\ef_a_tale_of_melodies_Ep02.mkv")
converttoyv12()
I am using a basic script as above. I don't do anything extra to my footage unless I use spline36resize, or AssumeFPS. However, in this case that's not the problem.

Basically the script above works perfectly fine for most of my sources (yes most are ""ripped""). It really works great, but I have ran into a few problems with a couple sources I have wanted to use. Where they are perfectly fine playing in media player, but once I drag and drop them into virtual dub to convert them into lossless .avi they turn super over colored and all glitched out to the max.

I don't know if its a filter problem or something?

I have only tried DirectShowSource and ffvideosource. I do not have ffmepsource installed, nor DivX (in case that might play a role). I have not needed DivX for anything as of yet. Neither work good, and the source still looks over colored and glitched mobbed out.

But its only with certain sources, not everything. So I don't get what is going on, unless there is a codec I am missing of sorts. (I do have the latest CCCP) so I don't personally think that's the cause either.

Chained(E)Studio
Org Profile

Re: Virtual Dub Problem

Post by Chained(E)Studio » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:29 am

My boyfriend said it could just be the source itself. That the people who fan-subbed it got it from somewhere bad, and over filtered it themselves which you don't see in the video player, but conflict with virtual dub?

Which I guess that is possible, but the one source I have is BD, and the other is upscaled TV/DVD. So I find it hard to believe that's the problem too, and both are from different sources.

Chained(E)Studio
Org Profile

Post by Chained(E)Studio » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:39 am

mirkosp wrote:You are decoding 10bit footage as 8bit. Update your ffms2.
I seen below that this was mentioned to someone else with similar problem, and I do already have ffms2. So never mind I guess I do have ffmpegsource installed -_-. I will try that.

Chained(E)Studio
Org Profile

Post by Chained(E)Studio » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:08 pm

Nope, and I also realized ffvideosource is the same as ffmpegsource <--- insert some stupid here ='3

Its not fixed. I am not sure why, I tried 10bit and 8bit.

basic media player quality in cpmparison:

8bit with script:

10bit with script:

The images are kind of small sorry, but I used avsp so I could just show my script and image at same time =3
The 8bit does look better obviously though I think the colouring is still off compare to mediaplayer (or I feel it is anyways). I would like to solve the 10bit problem, as I think that's why I am unable to also convert over my other newer sources.

Or more or less, I do not feel its the source that's the problem at all.
Last edited by Chained(E)Studio on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:13 pm

As I said in the other thread, the version of ffms2 is too old, hence it gets the bitdepth wrong. Update it, you can get it from here: http://code.google.com/p/ffmpegsource/downloads/list
As for mismatching colours, this is obviously due to the fact that avisynth always assumes bt601, whereas the colourmatrix here is bt709. The player knows and does the proper conversion. This is not something that you have to deal with in the script however, it is just a matter of how the script is converted from YUV to RGB for display, so it is something that is ultimately dealt with at playback. If you want to check how it will look in playback (assuming you're not going to change the resolution from 720p), then right click on the avspmod preview and change the YUV->RGB to Rec709.
Also, do get rid of that converttoyv12 line, as it is useless. Your input is already yv12, avisynth knows and when it reads that it does a check and skips the conversion since it doesn't have to do it. However, since it does do the check, you are slowing down the script, albeit by an infinitely low amount.

Chained(E)Studio
Org Profile

Post by Chained(E)Studio » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:27 pm

mirkosp wrote:As I said in the other thread, the version of ffms2 is too old, hence it gets the bitdepth wrong. Update it, you can get it from here: http://code.google.com/p/ffmpegsource/downloads/list
As for mismatching colours, this is obviously due to the fact that avisynth always assumes bt601, whereas the colourmatrix here is bt709. The player knows and does the proper conversion. This is not something that you have to deal with in the script however, it is just a matter of how the script is converted from YUV to RGB for display, so it is something that is ultimately dealt with at playback. If you want to check how it will look in playback (assuming you're not going to change the resolution from 720p), then right click on the avspmod preview and change the YUV->RGB to Rec709.
Also, do get rid of that converttoyv12 line, as it is useless. Your input is already yv12, avisynth knows and when it reads that it does a check and skips the conversion since it doesn't have to do it. However, since it does do the check, you are slowing down the script, albeit by an infinitely low amount.
Much much better, I thought my ffms2 was updated so I didn't download and replace. After doing that its 10 times better, even without changing the preview in avsp, the coloring is super matched. At least I learned some new things is my attempt to fix this on my own =p

Thanks a lot.

Return to “AviSynth Help”