Videos go blurry on youtube ?

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
Sajid213
Org Profile

Videos go blurry on youtube ?

Post by Sajid213 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:03 am

Every single videos I upload goes blurry on youtube but the original video is really sharp and looks good. I tried different settings to render in Sony Vegas but none of them is working. I searched but couldn't find any solutions. Is there something I'm missing ? Any help is appreciated

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Videos go blurry on youtube ?

Post by mirkosp » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:19 am

Well the problem with youtube is that it has to re-encode to fit into certain standard bitrate and parameters to be streaming compatible. This means that quality will get worse no matter what. If the video you upload is too sharp and detailed, then it's going to be worse because it has to cut even more to have it fit within its limits, so my suggestion is to actually try to apply a slight blur (a denoise or actually a lowpass filter would be better, but a blur is easier to do) for the youtube-friendly encode, which will make the quantizer of youtube's encode happier with your input and the quality should be somewhat more preserved, since you're basically making your video require less bitrate. You only need to do that for streaming purposes though (and only if the video is especially bitrate needy), do keep the distro copy with its original quality.

Sajid213
Org Profile

Post by Sajid213 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:34 am

But how will i blur it ? Can you tell me how to do it ? I'm a bit confused here.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:20 am

Well, vegas' blur filter is fine. Alternatively, you can use the blur() function of avisynth, or even Phan's blurmod().

Sajid213
Org Profile

Post by Sajid213 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:48 am

Thanks a lot :) I'll try it now.

Sajid213
Org Profile

Post by Sajid213 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:20 am

I tried the Newblue Noise Reducer. But its still being blurred when I upload to youtube in 720p. What format/settings should i render it to ?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:45 am

Well, uploading as 720p should be mostly fine. I'm not sure what else to suggest. Make sure you are exporting in a lossless format from vegas and encoding as a low crf (14 or so) in zarx264gui and upload that to youtube.
If the results are still bad then I don't really know what to say, it's not like there's much one can do about youtube quality. :\

Chained(E)Studio
Org Profile

Post by Chained(E)Studio » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:58 am

Maybe just make sure your editing in the highest quality footage you can if not lossless .avi.

Check your properties settings:

Example
Field Order: None
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0000 (square)
Pixel Format: 8bit
Motion Blur Type: Gaussian
De interlace Method: None

Of course this is just basic settings...

If that isn't a problem, you could try rendering your footage out into .wmv (if you haven't already) ... Youtube accepts both .mp4 and .wmv. I find wmv to be a lot better at uploading/converting then mp4 (but that's just my taste for YouTube). There won't be much of a difference, if not better than mp4 on YouTube, in quality. Though again this is my preference in codecs for Youtube.

Also for rendering in wmv I change

Video Settings;
Video Smoothness to the sharpest it can go (100%),

Bit Rate;
(Internet/LAN) to about 10 since I believe the default is about 6...

If you are rendering out in lossless avi and compressing into mp4 then it might be your options on Zarx264gui you have selected, or try other options just to see if something else works better.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:13 am

Ignore this guy, WMV is a terrible idea. Incidentally, bitrate doesn't really matter in streaming, VBV buffering sizes and caches do. YouTube handles encoding your shit though so it doesn't really require you to mess around with VBV on your own, and nobody here with maybe the exception of mirko and zarx and ryuuchin actually knows how these work.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:03 pm

What codec does youtube even use to stream their videos? Lets say they use h264, if I encode to h264, shouldn't that mean they are speaking the same language? Im just curious as to how they would reduce quality if the source is the same.
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Return to “AviSynth Help”