UT Video Settings Question

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
JD_Lord1
Org Profile

UT Video Settings Question

Post by JD_Lord1 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:09 pm

I haven't made an AMV in a while so I downloaded the new AMVapp and was wondering about the UT Video configuration.

When set to "optimize for compression ratio" the file size is smaller but I was wondering when set to "optimize for decoding speed" if this simply makes the compression process go faster (and therefore a larger file) or if it makes the file less complicated (and therefore easier/faster) to read?

Can a larger file even be faster for my computer to read or is that just nonsense? I guess I'm confused by the term "decoding."

pizza---> :pizza:
the JOSH

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: UT Video Settings Question

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:14 pm

JD_Lord1 wrote:When set to "optimize for compression ratio" the file size is smaller but I was wondering when set to "optimize for decoding speed" if this simply makes the compression process go faster (and therefore a larger file) or if it makes the file less complicated (and therefore easier/faster) to read?
It does both of those things. It's complicated to say succinctly, but lets just say Size/Speed isn't a linear relationship across its entire domain.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

JD_Lord1
Org Profile

Post by JD_Lord1 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:10 pm

Hey thanks! I guess I'll probably set it for decoding speed then. I'm not too concerned about hard drive space, but I'll do anything to make things flow a little bit smoother!
the JOSH

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:21 pm

Reading speed ends up being a bottleneck on a 7200rpm with utvideo, actually, despite being very fast, so even by doing optimize for compression you should not notice any decode speed difference, but do try and test both settings to see for yourself what works best for you. If you do have some SSD or something around, though, decode speed would likely be worth it.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:05 pm

UTVideo was designed for SD analogue content recording onto 7200RPM drives. If you want realtime speeds on HD content, you need an SSD.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:22 am

Not really, you easily get over 100fps decoding speed even with 720p stuff on 7200rpm HDDs.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:17 am

I was talking more about 1080p encoding but yeah. Interestingly, it's only Conroe optimised. Sandy Bridge level optimisation would make it kinda insane.

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”