Is this bad quality?

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
OtakuGray
I understoop!
Org Profile

Is this bad quality?

Post by OtakuGray » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:10 pm

Does this look like bad quality? It's an older show so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to go about encoding it...

I used tdeint() on it and it looks like this now:

I don't want to over-filter it because it would end up looking...well.. over-filtered. :| Should I just crop it, deen it, and then leave it be?

Oh and if anyone is curious, its a DVD and its published by Nozomi and RightStuf :P
godix wrote:Like this one amv. It was all like woosh, zoom with effects. And I was all like whoa awesome. Then that guitar thingies popped up and went dun dun DUN dun then those box thingies went zooming by and twirling around and shit. Oh god, then the hexagons popped up and I was like 'I just got a stiffie'. Then there was the circle with those thingies going around and I blew my load.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: Is this bad quality?

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:58 pm

You should be able to take care of rainbowing going on there. Anything else would require a small clip to really say.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:15 pm

99% sure you should be IVTCing it instead (ie, tfm.tdecimate instead of tdeint).
Both rainbowing and haloing should be somewhat easy to deal with safely here (at least, it looks less bad than trigun).

OtakuGray
I understoop!
Org Profile

Post by OtakuGray » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:10 pm

Here's my script now:

Code: Select all

mpeg2source("Z:\Rips\DVD\blah.d2v")
TFM()
BiFrost(interlaced=false)
DeHalo_alpha(brightstr=2, ss=2.0)
crop(10,0,-10,-0)
deen("w3d",3,4,6)
It doesn't look as bad but I've got some annoying frame-blending going on:

If you need a small clip I can supply one...I think. :| I keep having issues uploading to mediafire/sendspace...maybe it's because my net sucks here.
godix wrote:Like this one amv. It was all like woosh, zoom with effects. And I was all like whoa awesome. Then that guitar thingies popped up and went dun dun DUN dun then those box thingies went zooming by and twirling around and shit. Oh god, then the hexagons popped up and I was like 'I just got a stiffie'. Then there was the circle with those thingies going around and I blew my load.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:53 pm

Kare Kano is awful visual-quality-wise. Like Neon Genesis Evangelion, it's a GAiNAX series from before the digital age; TRSI got a bad master, so there wasn't much they could do.

I worked with it once, back in 2004, and never really found a good way of combating the frame blending. But through an unholy mess of filters, I managed to get the comparison screenshots linked on this video info page.

Of course, back then I considered it acceptable to destroy a little detail in things like foliage for the sake of better compressibility, because a lot more people were on dial-up and XviD isn't nearly as good as x264. Nowadays you probably don't have to be that extreme about the smoothing... plus more people have enough processing power to run more powerful filters (like motion-compensated cleaners) at decent speeds.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:57 am

Depending on whether the clean fields are still there or not, it might be possible to get a clean stream with some effort, you'd have to go and manually postprocess all the appropriate frames. If the blending is too bad, though, not really much you can do. Might be better to bob it with qtgmc and edit at 60p, hoping at that speed the blending will go unnoticed (assuming all field are blended and thus you can't really ivtc it properly anymore).

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:53 am

Are the fields blended or the frames? Split it and take a look. If the frame is blended, you can use YATTA or some manual bullshit to get it right, just pay attention to your timeline if you do it by hand. If the field itself is blended, not much you can do about it other than re-interpolating the entire frame and that is probably too hard to make it worthwhile.

Return to “AviSynth Help”