Running A New Comp But Having Trouble

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Re: Running A New Comp But Having Trouble

Post by Mister Hatt » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:56 am

Both MT and 64bit completely break on my machine, but that could be because I'm running scripts that sometimes hit 5000+ lines. The existing way of MT in AVS isn't really multithreaded though, and is detrimental to your picture. 64-bit is kind of a hack and requires way too much bullshit, I wouldn't bother. GPU offloading is also kinda dumb too given the amount of VRAM and the bandwidth of the interface, but eh.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:51 am

Maybe VRAM but i would be surprised if the pcie bus would cause a significant bottleneck.

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:44 am

This is all SO far above me that I suspect you are all just talking gibberish and laughing at us, the stupid ones. :)
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:19 am

It does in some situations, although most people here wouldn't ONLY be doing math on their GPU so would require VRAM which bottlenecks at a much lower threshold. I've tried some motion estimation algos for large numbers of small data sets on GPU though and the bus got pretty tanked surprisingly. VRAM is the main issue here though, especially for 99% of AVS and encoding use cases.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:52 am

Bro, this isn't even about 64bit and MT anymore, you're killing the source with that chain...

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:07 pm

I was just doing a speed comparison with high settings. There's no way I'd do all that to that source, season 2 is very good looking already.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:05 pm

Ok, then that's reassuring, I was actually worried there.
Still wonder if you actually use spline36resize for resizing needs though. Considering there now is a gamma aware resizer for avisynth (ResampleHQ), I'd suggest switching to that. But I'm not sure if it's available for 64bit avs.
Another thing I'd suggest is switching to the dither package for debanding, since it doesn't have the gradfun2db bug and is actually a lot better quality wise and offers a lot more control (plus it's internally 16bit, and can actually produce 16bit output, which you can use in tandem with a higher bitdepth x264). I fear this one, too, is a 32bit only plugin for the time being, however there might be 64bit builds around for this one.
In terms of quality, I'd also suggest using QTGMC for bob/deinterlace and smoothadjust for tweaking needs (you should never tweak though, unless it's meant as an effect within the amv). These (well, smoothadjust and most actual plugins qtgmc uses) do have 64bit builds too (QTGMC's creator also tells how to use it for MultiThreading, though he also mentions it's not stable).
TL;DR: At the end of the day, it's your choice. I still do have reasons to stick with 32bit avisynth and single thread (and I can just run multiple encodes at the same time to cut down on total time, without the fear of stability and quality repercussions).

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:20 am

Dunno, I do scene based "threading" and it works plenty fast compared to MT/64bit. Then again, it's also kinda insane multi-system RPC (my attempt at making an MPP pipeline in AVS) so go figure it's a bit hacky still. I think threading has a place in AVS but there are smart and there are hacky ways to do it. Unfortunately, the smart ways are kinda difficult to get going.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:52 am

http://mod16.org/hurfdurf/?p=234

This link is my new best friend.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:57 am

Aha, yeah.