HOW DO I FIX THIS [other one?]

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
TEKnician
Org Profile

HOW DO I FIX THIS [other one?]

Post by TEKnician » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:59 pm

My script so far:

Code: Select all

mpeg2source("C:\users\crossover\Desktop\My Mac Desktop\AIR_GEAR.1.d2v")
tfm.tdecimate
crop(8,20,-8,-20)
LanczosResize(856,480)
FYI, i made it 856 so i can crop it later while or after editing. It wouldn't let me do 854x480. There's no banding in the episodes i scrubbed through so far, so i think if i can fix a small issue like this, i'll be fine from here on out.
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

EvaFan
Org Profile

Re: HOW DO I FIX THIS [other one?]

Post by EvaFan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:20 pm

Thats some pretty ugly mosquito noise around edges. Should try a bit of smoothing maybe a little temporal and spatial on it to see if you can get rid of it or lessen it without bluring. You can see macro blocking in the upper right hand corner in the sky pretty easily but its amplified by the resize.

Only filter I ever use for cleaning up noise is: http://avisynth.org.ru/fft3dfilter/fft3dfilter.html
I'm pretty sure I remember you saying you use a mac, I have no idea if the above even works with mac, never used one before.

I'm sure someone will come along and post something else that can prolly do the job just as well if you dont want to take the time to learn/work with the one above, its multipurpose.

I don't really think the blocking is really worth worrying about but someone might be able to offer advice for it.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:00 am

Thanks for proving you have no idea what the difference between mosquito noise and dirt is EvaFan. FFT3D is good at clearing both up, but it is kinda hard to tweak ti exactly as you need to fuck with block sizes, and this can make it VERY slow. HQDN3D is actually quite a bit better on high freq (which this is not) but it tends to overfilter a lot too, so requires veyr low strengths and precise frequency settings.

Try removedirt or undot.

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:18 am

Sorry, I'll be more careful and make sure to zoom the image and make sure it's not stray pixelation before declaring mosquito noise over dotcrawl or dirt hatter even if the end still justifies the means for the filter I use regardless...

Not trying to prove anything, was just trying to help. :roll:
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:16 am

Wait, what? Air Gear's firmly in the digital age; there should be no dirt or spots to speak of, unless when you say "dirt" you're not talking about physical dirt on the film. I thought that all that artifacting around the edges of, say, the green of Simca's boots or the pink of her hair -- where it appears there's not sufficient bitrate to render those edges properly -- was termed mosquito noise?

If that's not what that is, then what *does* mosquito noise look like?, because I'm totally confused in that case.

(I think my first exposure to the term was this EADFAG page.)
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:13 pm

Mister Hatt wrote:Thanks for proving you have no idea what the difference between mosquito noise and dirt is EvaFan. FFT3D is good at clearing both up, but it is kinda hard to tweak ti exactly as you need to fuck with block sizes, and this can make it VERY slow. HQDN3D is actually quite a bit better on high freq (which this is not) but it tends to overfilter a lot too, so requires veyr low strengths and precise frequency settings.

Try removedirt or undot.
Can you post an example script of how i would use FFT3D?

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:41 pm

Scintilla wrote:Wait, what? Air Gear's firmly in the digital age; there should be no dirt or spots to speak of, unless when you say "dirt" you're not talking about physical dirt on the film. I thought that all that artifacting around the edges of, say, the green of Simca's boots or the pink of her hair -- where it appears there's not sufficient bitrate to render those edges properly -- was termed mosquito noise?

If that's not what that is, then what *does* mosquito noise look like?, because I'm totally confused in that case.

I was under the impression that mosquito noise was actual color blockyness, dirt and dot crawl is stray pixelization not to be confused with grain. I could be wrong and am starting to doubt myself now cause of hatts post. It doesnt really matter too much cause a temporal and spatial smoother can deal with either. I tried using google images but couldnt find good examples for comparison.
The_TEKnician wrote:
Mister Hatt wrote:Thanks for proving you have no idea what the difference between mosquito noise and dirt is EvaFan. FFT3D is good at clearing both up, but it is kinda hard to tweak ti exactly as you need to fuck with block sizes, and this can make it VERY slow. HQDN3D is actually quite a bit better on high freq (which this is not) but it tends to overfilter a lot too, so requires veyr low strengths and precise frequency settings.

Try removedirt or undot.
Can you post an example script of how i would use FFT3D?
You should really read the webpage I linked, it has examples on the bottom anyway but your not going to get much of anywhere later on unless you try to learn it. Atleast read the function parameters, most of it isn't hard to understand. After that you can experiment yourself easily.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:11 pm

I don't know if i'm being stupid with filters, but here's what i came up with:

Code: Select all

tfm.tdecimate
crop(8,20,-8,-20)
LanczosResize(856,480)
temporalcleaner()
deen("c2d",4)
deen("c3d",4)
deen("w2d",4)
I got no screenshots to show the end product, but it seems to fix things up quite nicely. I see no defects. Any objections?

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:16 pm

You could try dfttest as well, that might work on it.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:50 pm

EvaFan wrote:
Scintilla wrote:Wait, what? Air Gear's firmly in the digital age; there should be no dirt or spots to speak of, unless when you say "dirt" you're not talking about physical dirt on the film. I thought that all that artifacting around the edges of, say, the green of Simca's boots or the pink of her hair -- where it appears there's not sufficient bitrate to render those edges properly -- was termed mosquito noise?

I was under the impression that mosquito noise was actual color blockyness, dirt and dot crawl is stray pixelization not to be confused with grain. I could be wrong and am starting to doubt myself now cause of hatts post.
Oh, I know what dot crawl is -- very specific type of noise, caused by crosstalk in the luma plane usually due to bad analog connections, definite checkerboard pattern that changes every frame and usually has to be corrected BEFORE you IVTC, looks like this (see the red kana).
It's just dirt and mosquito noise that M. Hatt now has me wondering about.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Return to “AviSynth Help”