Blu Ray Region 2/B Question

Archangel768
Org Profile

Blu Ray Region 2/B Question

Post by Archangel768 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:55 am

I'm looking at buying Anime on Blu Ray for the first time and I was wondering something.

Do the Region 2/B Blu Ray discs suffer from the same (unfixable) Blending problem that PAL DVDs suffer from? I had huge issues with PAL DVDs and them having Blending and not being able to get them cleared up. Before I buy any Blu Rays I want to know if Blu Rays sold in the Region 2/B are good for making AMVs with or do they have the same Blending problems as DVDs from the same region have had?

Region 2/B is Australia/UK/New Zealand etc

Thanks for the help.
Gundam Seed!!!!

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Blu Ray Region 2/B Question

Post by mirkosp » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:48 am

With BDs, the framerate isn't an issue anymore. Region B Blu-rays can be 23.976p just like Region A ones, thus blending is no more.

That is, at least for newer shows. Older shows might still be 50i on BD depending on when and how the show was dubbed, because otherwise they might have to slow down the audio. But this would happen with shows that were originally sped up to 25fps from the original speed instead of the blended ones, I think, so you should be fine in this case too, as far as blending goes.

There is also the "how competent the distributor for the show is" wild card: you might just find blended blu-rays due to that even if it shouldn't happen anymore.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:57 pm

Depends on the show, not the region. All BD regions support the same framerates tbh, and nobody really distinguishes them as separate anyway. I've yet to see any region locking even.

Note that not all PAL dvds suck, the encoders at DynIt in Italy and Siren Visual in Australia are excellent. If you have a Madman disk tho, it's actually just a Funimation R1 with 1/6th of the frames deleted. I'm totally not biased there though.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:59 pm

Oh, that said, as you're obviously from Australia, no Madman blurays are actually HD or worth paying for, so unless you're doing Casshern, there is nothing on BD you should take any interest in.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”