Zarx264gui 2.0 final

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling your footage. If you have questions about capturing/ripping footage, AviSynth, or compression/encoding/converting, look here.

Zarx264gui 2.0 final

Postby Zarxrax » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:04 pm

I have made some huge changes to Zarx264gui. On the surface, it may not seem like much has changed, but under the hood I have performed almost a complete rewrite.
http://amvhell.com/stuff/zarx264gui/Zarx264gui2.zip

(Feb 22, 2012)
- Updated version number and changed from beta to final.

Beta 3 changes:
- Now uses Qaac audio encoder. This is the highest quality AAC encoder, and should keep sync well. Required quicktime installed on your system. If quicktime is not installed, the libvoaac encoder will be used instead, but quality and sync may not be great.
- When cancelling an encode that is part of a batch, it will prompt you as to whether you want to cancel the entire batch.
- Outputs a log file after encoding (located in the same folder as the exe)
- Fixed a bug with the container selection
- Fixed a bug where a space wasn't added after one of the commandline parameters

Beta 2 changes:
- Adds "-zarx264gui" to the filename less often (to prevent conflicts with existing files)
- The output log now displays everything exactly as if you were running from the commandline. All output is captured.
- Demuxer selection in the advanced options
- If "auto" demuxer is selected, and the input is detected as lagarith, it will use "avs" demuxer even if "auto" is selected. (to prevent hundreds of error messages)
- Batch processing support. Warning: it doesn't care if you overwrite files.

Beta 1 changes:
- All dependencies on external apps other than x264.exe have been removed. (no nero or bepipe anymore) You dont even need to have avisynth installed to run it now.
- Audio is now encoded to mp3 format using lame, rather than aac. The nero aac encoder caused a desync of approximately 1 frame. I have decided that having better accuracy is more important than the (very small) bitrate savings afforded from using aac.
- Files are loaded directly into x264 rather than generating avs scripts for them.
- Option between mp4 and mkv container.
- New "video info" button in the Command Line tab gives you info that can be useful for troubleshooting.

Please use this, put weird stuff in it, try to break it. Let me know if there are any issues.
Also, let me know what kind of features you would like added.
Last edited by Zarxrax on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Zarxrax

Re: Zarx264gui 2.0 beta - feedback wanted

Postby post-it » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:28 pm

:up:
post-it

Postby Warlike Swans » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:06 pm

Works great, thanks for an awesome program! :D
Warlike Swans

Postby Ikore » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:08 am

testing... actually a 1280x534 trying to encode with mkv, lets see how it ends up.
SING! Never mind the words!!!
Ikore

Postby Mister Hatt » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:39 am

It doesn't work with ProRes source files? Support just got added to libav for them, douzo to fix.
Mister Hatt

Postby Zarxrax » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:08 am

Yea, sorry from not having it up to date as of like 2 days ago >.>
AMV Makers dont need prores anyways.
Zarxrax

Postby Mister Hatt » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:10 am

Actually it's not a bad high-bitrate compromise that's guaranteed to work for OSX users. Without the VFW bindings, your code shouldn't be platform specific anyway no? Reminds me to get a move on with UTVideo-in-libav, although it works in OSX now, just super slow.
Mister Hatt

Postby Zarxrax » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:23 am

My code is still windows specific, because its written in c# .Net.
Zarxrax

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:50 am

I hear unseen forces are working on an OSX equivalent in their spare time.
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2014 & Head of the AAC Fan-works Theater - follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/AACFanTheater
:sorcerer: :sorcerer: |RD: "Oh, Action!" (side-by-side) | |
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby jakkor » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:25 am

With movie works very good.
jakkor

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:28 pm

Very interesting changes. Container choice is nice, and Media Info is really convenient. While I do like aac audio more, synch is a big issue for AMVs, so I think switching to mp3 is a good decision. I also noticed AviSynth's Normalize is gone, which I'm okay with since I suspect it caused problems, so I usually unchecked it anyway (before, I sometimes got a click at the beginning of my audio).

For 3 quick tests, I converted an x264+AAC.mp4, avs script, and utvideo+PCM.avi and didn't notice any problems.

One thing I noticed is it creates the "settings.xml" file in the same directory as the input. Previously it was in the same directory as Zarx264gui.exe, which I liked more since it is out of the way. It isn't a big deal, but it might confuse some people. Otherwise the program seems to work fine without any dependencies :up:
-------

In terms of features, I always wanted Multi-Drag-and-Drop for batch encoding so I can hit ctrl+a and process a whole folder in one shot. There's a chance all you'd have to do is wrap your program in a For Loop. If you're interested, this is what I usually do: (although it's written in windows cmd so it might not help much)
Code: Select all
::::::::::::: x264_MULTI-DRAG-AND-DROP ::::::::::::::::::
:: To begin, Drag file(s) onto this batch script,      ::
:: and they will be processed using the below settings ::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

@ECHO OFF
SET INPUT=%*
SET CRF=20
SET AQU=4
SET ACD=mp3
SET PST=veryslow
SET TUN=animation
SET EXT=mkv
SET TAG=_new
FOR %%I in (%INPUT%) do (
"%~dp0\x264.exe" --crf %CRF% --preset %PST% --tune %TUN% --acodec %ACD% --aquality %AQU% --output "%%~dpnI%TAG%.%EXT%" "%%~dpnxI"
)
PAUSE
-------

Some kind of Job Manager would be nice too (perhaps just append new jobs to a master .bat file might work?)

Also, I think the layout could be arranged/labeled a bit more intuitively to distinguish between Audio/Video features:
Code: Select all
    Audio: MP3(Quality)       Video: x264 (Quality)
  Quality: 4              Quantizer: 20
                             Preset: Very Slow
Container: ()MP4  ()MKV        Tune: Animation
-------

/2cents
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Galactic Escape"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."
Phantasmagoriat

Postby Pwolf » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:41 pm

I've been using it a lot the past two weeks. No issues. Would be nice to have a batch feature.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Like the AMV .Org App? Think about donating to help me make it better.
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle

Postby CodeZTM » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Is there anything special I should be doing after extracting it, because I've yet to be able to get it to work in any capacity.

64 bit Windows 7 OS
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round

Postby Zarxrax » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:39 pm

Um... what do you mean you cant get it to work? Nothing happens when you click the exe? Is there an error message? Does it come up but not encode? What?

About a job manager... that's something that I'm not going to implement, mainly because I have no idea how, and it seems like it would take a lot of time. If someone would like to take a look at the code and give it a try, I'd be more than happy to send the code your way.
Zarxrax

Postby Pwolf » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:55 pm

Zarxrax wrote:About a job manager... that's something that I'm not going to implement, mainly because I have no idea how, and it seems like it would take a lot of time. If someone would like to take a look at the code and give it a try, I'd be more than happy to send the code your way.

It should be easy, I wouldn't mind taking a look.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Like the AMV .Org App? Think about donating to help me make it better.
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle

Next

Return to Footage Help