panning

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling your footage. If you have questions about capturing/ripping footage, AviSynth, or compression/encoding/converting, look here.

panning

Postby seasons » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:52 am

I'm making an AMV with about a half dozen different sources of different aspect ratios. I've decided to make the whole thing widescreen, which will require me to crop my 4:3 footage.

Here's an image from a clip that I plan on using, first in its original 4:3 aspect ratio:

Here's the same image from the clip with 78 pixels cropped off the top and bottom, now with a 16:9 AR:

This doesn't look very good. So I've been trying to come up with other solutions. Is there a way to "pan" from the bottom of the clip upwards to the top? Essentially, what I want to do is begin the 4-second clip at 0:00 with this:

have the "camera" pan up from the bottom of the top of the original 4:3 frame and end with this:

(note that the motorcycle is moving from left to right in this clip)

I hope I'm making sense, I don't know how better to describe what I'm looking to do here.
The clip, for whatever its worth or anyone who wants to see it, is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?r8796ulk1e5zd5d
seasons

Re: panning

Postby seasons » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:03 am

I wrote that post this morning but had to run to work before coming home to actually post it.

In the last hour I've been playing around with Virtualdub's pan filter and found a way to pan from top to bottom in my clip using these settings:

Try as I may, by changing the Y Origin and the value of the T Speed, I can't make it begin at the "bottom" of the clip and pan to the top by the time the clip has finished. I think if I put 480 for my Y origin, it begins where I want it to begin, but no changes to the Y Speed (or checking the "Neg" box) makes it go anywhere. Does anyone have any experience using this for vertical panning?
seasons

Postby mirkosp » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:11 am

Why not just keeping it at 848x636 and panning in your NLE? That oughta be easier... :?
mirkosp
MODkip

Postby Mister Hatt » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:11 am

Animate+crop in avisynth is one way, you can also do it with math I guess, allows you to control speed and whatnot more easily, but harder to adjust. Your NLE should allow you to import the separate clips and run operations like that on them though.

Your frame looks like shit because you upscaled it and not in a particularly good way. If you crop the top, you need to keep it the same width.
Mister Hatt

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:56 am

mirkosp wrote:Why not just keeping it at 848x636 and panning in your NLE? That oughta be easier... :?

This.

Bonus: If you're mixing ARs and the video is supposed to be high motion, you automatically have an excuse to play around with movement even more than you would have otherwise, and you can add motion to all those static shots you would otherwise pass over.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby seasons » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:27 pm

delete
seasons

Return to Footage Help