Live action footage & ripping question

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Live action footage & ripping question

Post by CorpseGoddess » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:38 pm

I'm working on a live action vid (sacrilege!) and I was doing fine with VirtualDub for getting my clips. Suddenly, in the middle of a multi-disc season of a TV series, I encountered some weirdness with interlacing. I double-checked to make sure I was choosing the correct field (I was), but the problem is this: my de-interlacing doesn't seem to be de-interlacing *enough*. Some parts seem okay, and then BAM. I get a huge interlaced section. And then more weirdness related to that---if I try to back up to set the start point for a clip, the video feed will go all wacky and start inserting interlaced frames that aren't even in the scene I'm trying to get (they're before or after the scene).

Has anybody run into this before, and if you have, what can I do to fix it? Or at least smooth it over a bit?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Live action footage & ripping question

Post by mirkosp » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:42 am

Could you post how your script looks like now? I'm somewhat confused by your description. I think it's vfr you're dealing with, but I would like to make sure... If you could also post short video samples, those could help too.

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:26 pm

mpeg2source("C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My
Videos\SPN\Season4\S4D3\S4D3.d2v")
Telecide(order=1,guide=1,show=false) #1 for Top Field First or Telecide(order=0) for Bottom.
Decimate(cycle=5, mode=2)
ConvertToYV12()
AssumeFPS(29.97)

That's the script I'm currently using---super simple. Was working like a charm on all the other discs, and then I got to these problem ones and then problems. I'll take a look and see if any of the clips I got adequately shows what I'm trying to convey---if any do, I'll upload and link them.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:47 pm

Old decomb is pretty bad (often leaves mouth combs and such), you should switch to TIVTC for your inverse telecine needs.
That said, I think that this does confirms my suspicion: this disc probably has a 60i section (the one that is giving you issues, in fact), so every field is unique and obviously decomb cannot field match (since it's not telecined). Your best bet is using a filter like tdeint or perhaps doing bob with a filter like QTGMC and then doing selectodd() or selecteven(). However, in the remote case it is NOT a 60i sequence, but an actual telecine, chances are that decomb is just having a hard time finding the matches, so again switching to tivtc could help in this case.
The converttoyv12() line there is useless. Don't misunderstand, it's not harmful nor anything, it's just that it's doing nothing since your source already is YV12.
Also, I'm going to guess the assumefps(29.97) at the end there is for technical requirements (as in, con where you're sending to or whatever requires 29.97 fps)?

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:32 pm

mirkosp wrote:Old decomb is pretty bad (often leaves mouth combs and such), you should switch to TIVTC for your inverse telecine needs.
That said, I think that this does confirms my suspicion: this disc probably has a 60i section (the one that is giving you issues, in fact), so every field is unique and obviously decomb cannot field match (since it's not telecined). Your best bet is using a filter like tdeint or perhaps doing bob with a filter like QTGMC and then doing selectodd() or selecteven(). However, in the remote case it is NOT a 60i sequence, but an actual telecine, chances are that decomb is just having a hard time finding the matches, so again switching to tivtc could help in this case.
The converttoyv12() line there is useless. Don't misunderstand, it's not harmful nor anything, it's just that it's doing nothing since your source already is YV12.
Also, I'm going to guess the assumefps(29.97) at the end there is for technical requirements (as in, con where you're sending to or whatever requires 29.97 fps)?
Thanks. The AMVapp I'm using is also woefully out of date, so it's time for me to update that. I was resisting (old dog, new tricks, set in my ways, blah blah blah) so this was a good kick in the pants to do that.

I appreciate the help. I'll let you know if that does the trick.

And yeah, the yv12 I always just keep there as an "in case", left over from the few times there was one anime that wasn't and I didn't want to throw it in. Laziness, but harmless laziness.

Same thing with the fps--sometimes I just keep default things in and hatch them out later. Lazy Old Dog that I am. :D

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:19 am

Why are ConvertToYV12 or 29.970fps defaults? They're both ridiculous.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”