I have to remove aliasing from this anime, is it possible?

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling your footage. If you have questions about capturing/ripping footage, AviSynth, or compression/encoding/converting, look here.

Re: I have to remove aliasing from this anime, is it possibl

Postby Myfigure » Sun May 22, 2011 10:22 am

Thanks for your answer.

With these screens I used --deblock -1:-2 and CRF 15.
Myfigure

Postby Mister Hatt » Sun May 22, 2011 8:20 pm

I see no banding either and not much blocking, although I'm on a 6bit LCD right now so it could have been dithered over. You did mostly kill the 'aliasing' at least, but seems you ignored the rest of what I said aside from using supaa(). Bicubic or even bilinearly downscaling and then pp'ing it with EE() would look a lot better, and probably fix any banding or blocking you might experience unless it's caused by quantisation.
Mister Hatt

Postby mirkosp » Mon May 23, 2011 4:24 am

I'd say adding a very slight grain over the thing would likely resolve the blocks you're seeing there. I think it's not in the source but a quantization issue with the encode. Possibly increasing the aq-strength could help as well or actually fix on its own.
mirkosp
MODkip

Postby Myfigure » Mon May 23, 2011 5:10 am

What is EE? I don't see this filter on avisynth wiki. Anyway, I don't have unsharp mask for this filter.

Here with aq-strength 1.0 (I had 0.6). I think that now I have fixed these blocks.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4525/aqstrength1.png

Here screen from BD, is there a little grain right?

http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/6282/bd1.png
Myfigure

Postby Mister Hatt » Mon May 23, 2011 7:03 am

0.6 is far too low. Depending on what causes the blocks, you either want to go 0.8-0.9 or possibly 1.2, but it depends on the cause. As I said earlier though, downscaling the correct way will probably fix the cause of the blocks anyway (and I am far too tired to explain why).
Mister Hatt

Postby mirkosp » Mon May 23, 2011 9:11 am

Yeah, looks good now, though I think 0.8 should still be fine, as Mister Hatt says. Lower aq-strength = more compression, at the cost of over-quantizing blocks that x264 perceives as flat. At 0.8 you should still have a good balance without hitting quality, at least not visibily. Going too high will just inflate the filesize for no reason.
mirkosp
MODkip

Postby Mister Hatt » Mon May 23, 2011 7:36 pm

Actually the reason for dropping AQ has little to do with compression and more to do with taking bits that aren't helping on flat places and putting them in more detailed places. It's a bit redistribution scheme. It was rather useful before mbtree came along if you had microdetail in places and large flat sections elsewhere, like in space anime with lots of bg detail but flat foreground textures.
Mister Hatt

Previous

Return to Footage Help