.MKV files not working

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
raiinbowstarsstudios
Org Profile

.MKV files not working

Post by raiinbowstarsstudios » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:43 pm

Hello! I was just seeing if anyone else has had this problem. More than likely they have.

I have a BUNCH of .mkv files. They were working only about a few days or so. I started to try and convert them for a couple of AMVs that I am trying to work on, but now the video isn't converting the whole way. I ended up looking at the .mkv files itself and now they are glitching. They were working just fine a few days ago, so I am really starting to worry about them.

Anyways, is there any way to fix the glitching? I think if the video itself stops glitching (it stops at a scene and if I move the cursor forward, it starts to go again until it gets to another glitchy scene) then it should be fine.

If you are wondering about the video converters I have tried it on, I am have Hamster Free Converter, Free Converter, and even two different versions of Xilisoft (.MKV Converter and Ultimate).

If this is the wrong section, I am sorry for posting here ^^;; I just really need some answers since it is bothering me greatly.

post-it
Org Profile

Re: .MKV files not working

Post by post-it » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:49 pm

umm .. .mkv, .mp4, .vob and .rmvb are our finishing codec's;
usually to be the "shrink-down-to-size" for MASS Distribution Final Process.
.. These codecs were never intended for Editing.
.. yea, your in the right section.
.. If there is a Glitch in the system, just use a different Codec.

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:46 pm

Since the problem is not only editing with them, but simply watching them, try uninstalling/re-installing your codec pack. Install latest version.

You probably should finish any projects you have going FIRST - just in case.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:14 pm

What player/decoder/indexer are you using? Are you using a codec pack? Why are you using Random Crappy Converter X instead of something that actually works? The answers to these questions should tell you your problem.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:19 pm

raiinbowstarsstudios .. 3 for 3 are saying the same basic thing.
( now I'll show you how to start an arguement on this board ^_^ )
Try playing your .MKv files with VLC Player.
if this plays the files with "no problems" then you need a Codec Pack.
.. now IF your Converter doesn't come with its own Codec-Pack .. then what good is it?
8-)

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:07 pm

I'm assuming it's a codec problem because they were "working only about a few days or so", so whatever player(s) are in use were OK. And yeah, VLC is a good player, I've installed it on several lower powered machines to get MOV files to play / play better. I just like MediaPlayer Classic better.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:24 am

Can people NOT BE SO FUCKING RETARDED? VLC is a terrible player, it is not designed for playback, and it fails to do pretty much any playback you can throw at it. It is designed for streaming and that is all it should ever be used for.

If you have ANY codec packs, remove them. Remove any extra players and anything else too. Then install the latest CCCP and run your shit in MPC-HC. Alternatively, mplayer-uau, kovensky just did a new build which you can find on google. More likely your config is just broken though, and you can play around until it works. But I would suggest letting the CCCP configuration app reset everything. My above post will find your problem, but this will probably fix the basics. Also FFMS2 in avisynth will load them for editing anyway, as it uses it's own decoders and splitters. Either way, ignore post-it and HalOfBorg, neither of them have any idea what they're talking about and are only offering the same misguided help they always do.

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:39 am

WE'RE being retarded? Bite me.

We gave advice that probably would have helped - SAME basic advice you gave (install codec pack, try this player), only we managed to do it without resorting to acting like a total dick head.

VLC "fails to do pretty much any playback you can throw at it." - load of crap. Like I said, I've installed it many times, had it improve things on lower powered machines, and I have NEVER had it fail to play ANY file I've tried to play.

And also as I said - I prefer MediaPlayer Classic - the "MPC-HC" you spoke of.

Oh - and one more time, bite me.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:28 am

So VLC DOESN'T use an ancient stroke-error prone subtitle renderer? And it DOESN'T decode H.264 incorrectly? Not to mention it TOTALLY handles matroska timelines properly, which seem to be somewhat related to the problem the OP is having? Yeah, great suggestion! Holy fuck, you're either blind or have no idea what proper playback is.

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:45 am

I never said 'proper'. You never said 'proper'. You said "it fails to do pretty much any playback".
I never mentioned word one about what it does with subtitles or H.264, or what other problems it may have or wha tother players may be better - oh wait - I DID say I prefer MPC, so quick making shit up so you can berate me for it.

I said it WORKS, and it helped me on some low-end machines. If his PLAYER was broke, trying another might help.

My advice was "codec pack, try THIS player".

Your advice was "codec pack, try THAT player".

So yeah, that shows how retarded I am.

How about a show of hands, all the people who were surprised that Hatt was rude and condescending??

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “AviSynth Help”