Adobe Flash (FLV) files Preview-able?

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
AntiHero
Org Profile

Adobe Flash (FLV) files Preview-able?

Post by AntiHero » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:52 pm

I exported my video from Premiere in Adobe Flash format to get it down to size, and I notice that it's taking longer than the other new videos on the block to generate a preview. Does it just take longer to encode, or will Adobe Flash not generate a preview at all?

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Re: Adobe Flash (FLV) files Preview-able?

Post by NeoQuixotic » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:59 pm

It is highly advised to not export anything compressed from your editing program. You want to export a lossless AVI to a codec like Ut Video. Get the latest version and install both x86 and x64 if you are using 64-bit Windows. Then select the YUV420 (ULY0) option for your AVI video codec. Then encode to a MP4/MKV using something like Zarx264gui.

Looking at your current video you uploaded it is in VP6 (horrible codec for efficiency and quality, H.264/x264 is preferred), 780x576 resolution (it should be 640x480 to save space and correct aspect ratio) 30 fps (should be 29.970 or 23.976, depending on source), and the audio is 32.0 Kbps at 11 Khz (terrible audio quality, should be at least 160 Kbps at 44.1 Khz).

MediaInfo of the file for people that are curious:
Spoiler :
General
Complete name : call of the void.flv
Format : Flash Video
File size : 86.5 MiB
Duration : 4mn 54s
Overall bit rate : 2 466 Kbps

Video
Format : VP6
Codec ID : 4
Bit rate : 2 600 Kbps
Width : 780 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 30.000 fps
Bit depth : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.193
Stream size : 91.1 MiB

Audio
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 2.5
Format profile : Layer 3
Mode : Joint stereo
Mode extension : Intensity Stereo + MS Stereo
Codec ID : 2
Codec ID/Hint : MP3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 32.0 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 11.025 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 1.12 MiB (1%)
As far as no preview, I'm guessing whatever the "org" is using to decode and encode files doesn't like your file. Maybe someone involved with that part could shed some more light on it.
Insert clever text/image here.

AntiHero
Org Profile

Post by AntiHero » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:58 pm

Thanks for your insights and advice, it's no secret I'm not the technical expert that you are. Unfortunately I must have done something wrong because the output video I produced attempting to follow the procedure you outline had colored, vertical lines running through it.

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Post by NeoQuixotic » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:03 pm

I'm assuming the lossless AVI is looking all screwed up. Could you post a screen shot of the problem? Also your project and export settings would be useful.
Insert clever text/image here.

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:49 pm

Currently, if a video is not using one of the following formats, then it won't be transcoded for preview:

mp4, avi, mkv, mpg, mpeg, mov, wmv, divx, m4v, ogm

pahuley
Org Profile

Post by pahuley » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:24 am

What's the .flv player with a traffic cone as its icon? I had a really good .flv video player on my computer but I accidentally uninstalled it. All I can remember about it is the icon of the media player was an orange traffic cone. Can anyone help me with the name of this player so I can reinstall it? Thanks.

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:50 pm

pahuley wrote:What's the .flv player with a traffic cone as its icon? I had a really good .flv video player on my computer but I accidentally uninstalled it. All I can remember about it is the icon of the media player was an orange traffic cone. Can anyone help me with the name of this player so I can reinstall it? Thanks.
I'm guessing you're thinking of VLC, which will play FLV files, though it's not just an FLV player, but can play many other formats as well (some better than others, admittedly).

If you're on Windows, you can also look at the Combined Community Codec Pack, which includes the excellent Media Player Classic Homecinema player (which can also play FLV files).

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:30 am

VLC can only play some FLV files though, not all. CCCP should be fine for just about everything though.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:33 am

Also, just a warning, VLC fucks you in the ass and you're probably won't like it.

Return to “AviSynth Help”