Trigun (new Funimation release)

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
Cannonaire
Org Profile

Trigun (new Funimation release)

Post by Cannonaire » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:58 am

What time is it?

It's field blending time.

YATTA don't work on this level of incompetence. In case you were wondering, this is the new Funimation release of Trigun. It has very slight, hardly noticeable rainbowing which I won't worry about, and also has haloing which actually isn't very difficult to fix in this case. Much more heinous are the blended fields. Never mind that disc 3 in the box I got was scratched to hell and unplayable right out of the shrink-wrapped case I bought from Best Buy...

If anyone has any suggestions on how to salvage this, I'm listening. And if you're going to suggest I get the Japanese R2 release, show me where I can :P .

**Update before first post**
Glad I didn't post this yet. I'm going through the episodes right now, and it seems like only episode 2 so far has any blended fields :o . It also looks like only episode 1 has any sort of rainbowing, and it was minor anyway so no biggie there. I'll keep looking, but I could still use some suggestions on how to fix episode 2.
Image Think millionaire, but with cannons. || Resident Maaya Sakamoto fan.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Trigun (new Funimation release)

Post by mirkosp » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:19 am

If the scene allows it, then freezeframe. The usage is freezeframe(start_frame, end_frame, replace_frame) so if you want to replace frame from 2002 to 2006 with the frame 2004, you'd do freezeframe(2002,2006,2004).
In YATTA, you can hit F on the frame you want to freeze and F again on the frame to used to replace it. Another fast way is Ctrl+F, which will freezeframe the current frame with the next, or Shit+F, which replaces the frame with the previous. Ctrl+A will freezeframe the entire section with the frame you hit that combo on. Keep in mind that you "edit" sections by pressing I to make the current frame the starting frame of a new section and Ctrl+Q to delete the current section (it will be merged with the section before: assuming you're on frame 3005 and sections go like 2879 to 2998 and 2999 to 3210, pressing ctrl+Q there will make a single section from 2879 to 3210). To delete a freezeframe, press Q... I'm not sure if this works on freezeframes applied to sections, so for that I'd suggest you to go to Tools -> Ranges and manually delete the one you need to.

If you can't freezeframe the blended frame... tough luck. Either freezeframe it anyway, or see if some fancy stacking can help. It does help if you, for example, have a simple horizontal pan... cropping and using stackhorizontal with the previous and next frame can re-create the current frame in the pan, although remember to do that with range or some fancy trimming or apply range... I'm not sure how automated this can be in YATTA since the amount to crop changes with every pan, so you'll have to manually tweak it for every case. Of course, this can work with vertical pans too, you just use stackvertical instead. If the pan goes in another direction... heh. You might want to be ubereffort and combine stackhorizontal and stackvertical and use the original blended image only for the unique area in the corners. Then next thing you might want to try is having some fun with the masktools... it might help depending on the situation. Another way might be to try and see how inpainting the blended part of the frame looks (go with InpaintFunc); please note that I wouldn't really suggest this method as it likely will have meh results and it might hard to get working.
That's the last resort. If you still want to remove the blending and none of the above methods satisfy you, then I'm afraid you will have to load the frame in photoshop and have fun redrawing it by hand.

Of course, there is always the solution "keep the blending there and don't mind it" as well as, considering this is for an AMV, chances are you might not even be using most of the blended scenes, so it would be useless to spend a lot of effort on a scene that in the end you didn't really have to show anyway.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:03 pm

The Japanese R2 release isn't much better.

Trigun will always look like crap. :(
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:28 am

YATTA works fine on it, also stop using YATTA as you are not trained and mirko is not qualified to teach you. I don't even know why you are trying this. YATTA can do everything it needs to. If you honestly think the program cannot do what you want, then YOU are just incapable of using it.

@Castor Troy: um no, stop being dumb please. The R2j disk absolutely shits on this. Do you even have eyesight? Like a tiny bit? At all?

Cannonaire
Org Profile

Post by Cannonaire » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:54 am

When I made the statement about YATTA, I thought it was like this for most of it. Turns out, in most instances there is a usable pair of matched fields that can be freeze-framed. I haven't had a chance to really do anything with YATTA except mess around with it a little.

In any case, not even YATTA can fix it perfectly if there isn't a clean pair of fields to freezeframe.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:52 am

You generally don't need to freezeframe :V

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:50 am

Mister Hatt wrote:You generally don't need to freezeframe :V
What about lolmpeg2 scenechanges? :P

Cannonaire
Org Profile

Post by Cannonaire » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:39 am

Well, you are correct in that I don't know how to properly use YATTA. My knowledge has barely scratched the surface when it comes to video stuff, which is no surprise since I only started learning intently in may. But it should be apparent that I intend to learn things properly and even more apparent that I pay a great deal of attention to detail. I'm ready to learn.

I still say that if there is not a clean pair of fields for a match - i.e at least one of the fields always has blending - you will never get a perfect result. From what I have seen, that is not the case with this release, thankfully. If I am incorrect on this point, I am eager to learn why. :beer:

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:43 pm

I'd say that as long as at least one of the two fields of the pair is clean you're good: nnedi3(nsize=5,fapprox=7) will do a good job at interpolating the other for you.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:44 am

mirkosp wrote:
Mister Hatt wrote:You generally don't need to freezeframe :V
What about lolmpeg2 scenechanges? :P
What, amvers using MPEG2-TS source files now? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA NEVER.

@Cannonaire: if you agree to do some general encoding and have good filtering skills, I'll teach you YATTA.

Return to “AviSynth Help”