How can I capture unaltered analog video? Non interlace.

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
Daniel_BMS
Org Profile

How can I capture unaltered analog video? Non interlace.

Post by Daniel_BMS » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:35 pm

How can I capture video game footage without interlacing it? Are there any media recorders that capture progressive frames? Do I have to use a capture card? Any recommendations for computers with capture cards built in?

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Re: How can I capture unaltered analog video? Non interlace.

Post by Kariudo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:52 pm

AFAIK, the signal coming out of the system should be interlaced as is...so there's not much you can do there (unless you have a system that supports progressive scan or HD output). For screen recorders, I'm actually gonna have to put my vote in for good 'ol vdub (with a good enough cpu and ram, you should be able to record 720p 30fps encoding with xvid).

Yep, a capture device of some sort is needed unless it's something like Kingdom Hearts which can be ripped from the game disks. I've heard Hauppauge thrown around quite a bit when it comes to capturing HD, so give them a look (anything they sell will be many times cheaper than a computer dedicated to doing captures)

Daniel_BMS
Org Profile

Post by Daniel_BMS » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:59 pm

I was confused as to weather or not SD video game footage was interlaced. I thought it wasn't. I guess the lack of interlacing from emulated games lead me to believe video games are not interlaced.

I got lucky before I read this response. I just found this on eBay and Google shopping. I am definitely hoping to avoid frustrations with capture cards so this media recorder looks like the best solution. Thanks for recommending Hauppage.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:16 pm

Daniel_BMS wrote:I was confused as to weather or not SD video game footage was interlaced. I thought it wasn't. I guess the lack of interlacing from emulated games lead me to believe video games are not interlaced.
If the FMVs are stored in a recognizable media format, they very well could be progressive rather than interlaced - I'm almost 100% sure all the FMVs I've ever ripped from game disks were progressive. If they have to be directly generated from the code (like in NES, SNES, Genesis games) rather than played back by a decoder, then it probably has more to do with the settings on the console and whether the console and the cables used support progressive scan.

And the reason emulators generally give progressive output is because PC monitors are progressive, and because the data code likely doesn't care what output device you're using. The emulator in this case is the console, and because there's no need to make stuff interlaced on a monitor, they can simply assume progressive (with options to do true interlacing, or to mimic interlacing artifacts like scanlines).
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Daniel_BMS
Org Profile

Post by Daniel_BMS » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:46 pm

Yes I get it now.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:16 pm

ASTC games come two ways; 480i means Interlaced & 480p means Progressive.
it was the only way TV stations could get around the DTV Mandate with their older equipment.

Return to “AviSynth Help”