I 'm new at this TT_TT

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
Cyrix
Org Profile

Re: I 'm new at this TT_TT

Post by Cyrix » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:02 pm

especially when they are explicitly asking how to do things the CORRECT way.
I guess you missed the "surely there is a simpler way to do it".

Cyrix
Org Profile

Post by Cyrix » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:02 pm

especially when they are explicitly asking how to do things the CORRECT way.
I guess you missed the "surely there is a simpler way to do it".

Cyrix
Org Profile

Post by Cyrix » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:05 pm

Goddammit, I pressed enter to make a new line and it submitted the post twice.

Not a DVD, you tard, an Evangelion 7-disc special edition box set from 2006. $76 was a good deal for it at that point, considering average price as $85 and retail was $89. It still costs over $50 if I'm not mistaken.
push your flawed techniques onto others
You're pushing your technique onto me, bigot. I made a suggestion and a tutorial. I never attacked anyone for their methods or tried to force them to do it my way.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:59 pm

You're giving bad advice to people who want to hear it. That's known as enabling. It's not that great of a thing. Certainly not something aspire to.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:58 pm

Cyrix wrote:Not a DVD, you tard, an Evangelion 7-disc special edition box set from 2006. $76 was a good deal for it at that point, considering average price as $85 and retail was $89. It still costs over $50 if I'm not mistaken.
Come back to me when you drop $450 on R2J remasters of your favorite series, or $600 on the remasters of the series you edit with most. Or $77 per disc, at two episodes each, because you just have to make that video of a series that doesn't even have a box set. Hobby? Yes. But I'm more than willing to pay for it.
You're pushing your technique onto me, bigot. I made a suggestion and a tutorial. I never attacked anyone for their methods or tried to force them to do it my way.
You're being disruptive, even if your intentions were good.

Think about this. Some of my previous coworkers are part of the Austin independent film industry. They have a meeting group that includes both professionals and hobbyists. This meeting group has established a consensus of what standards they will use for production. This makes it easier to teach those standards, lend equipment, and help on everyone's different projects. Now, imagine if a hobbyist without as much experience as even some of the more veteran hobbyists, let alone the professionals, shows up at a meeting and starts offering advice to new members of the group that does not follow the previously established standards. What would happen? I'll tell you, because I saw it happen: the offending member is asked to leave, if they can't provide justification why the suggested procedure is actually better. Easier is rarely a good enough answer.

We don't go that far. We don't tell you what you can or cannot do, but we do ask you not to pass on advice that is against the community consensus. We've evaluated SUPER in the past (I know that I personally have as well), and deemed it to be worse than other options. That really is case closed.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Cyrix
Org Profile

Post by Cyrix » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:23 am

You realize you're making fun of me for spending so little and he is making fun of me for spending so much? Good teamwork there. Why don't you make fun of each other instead?

This isn't a club. It's the internet. You don't run it.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:16 am

Cyrix wrote:You realize you're making fun of me for spending so little and he is making fun of me for spending so much? Good teamwork there. Why don't you make fun of each other instead?
I don't make fun of people. And I haven't made fun of you. I've expressed my frustration at your behavior, but that's all. You may be offended that I'm calling you out on some of the things you have said, but there's no reason to be. I hold no personal ill will against you, I do not think you are a bad person, and I do not think you are actively trying to sabotage the community. However, your defense of an inferior process is misguided.

I won't speak for Hatt, but I think you've misunderstood him.

And I wasn't making fun of you for spending so little. It goes back to effort. These are the best sources available. Therefore, I have purchased them, despite how much they cost.
This isn't a club. It's the internet. You don't run it.
This is a community. Just as the Austin Film Group is a community. It isn't the internet as a whole, and I never said it was. I also never claimed to run it. I just claimed to be trying my best to impress upon you the community consensus on standards. I'm sorry if this offends you, or make you feel like we're not allowing a good turn to go unpunished, but the fact is that the standards do exist, and modifications to them only should go in one direction: better.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:34 am

(☝゚∀゚)☝(☝゚∀゚)☝☟(゚∀゚☟)☟(゚∀゚☟)☜(゚∀゚☜)(☞゚∀゚)☞☜(゚∀゚☜)(☞゚∀゚)☞ B A START

*** SUCCESS — RAGE UNLOCKED ***

I made fun of you for spending too much? How did I do that? I just told you the price of the order I placed for a bro last week. p sure $6000 trumps $76. As for calling me a bigot, re-read what I wrote. I said you push your flawed techniques onto others. My techniques however are effectively perfect. I would challenge anyone in this community to do a better IVTC than me, or faster. Even with fancy TFM settings I can do a better job in less time with fucking sugoi black magic encoder techniques.

You say your technique is better because it's easier. But doing it wrong is not easier, it forces you to spend time fixing shit. It's a lot harder to fix bad jobs than it is to just do it right in the first place. Honestly, extracting vobcells, indexing, and IVTCing might require 3 steps but it's worth the effort later on when you don't have to spend hours fixing it. You've effectively proven your inability to recognise errors or defects in video streams and that you have no idea how to rip. Instead of giving horrible advice to possibly ignorant people, start learning how to do these things. If someone comes to this forum and doesn't know how to rip, they will be told to read the avtech, not your morbid excuse for a guide. If your guide was actually useful, it would be included in the avtech; however it isn't. There is a reason for that.

You'd best start reading the avtech and learning how to do things properly rather than spouting useless shit that only serves to confuse people and mislead nubs. You might notice that DVD2AVI/DGIndex/FFMS2 have CLI indexers that can easily be run from a script, making all this possible to do in a single step assuming you know how to use them properly with templates or perl hax. Now get off my lawn ι(`Д´)ノ

Cyrix
Org Profile

Post by Cyrix » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:28 am

Cute, let me know when you blow $2800 on the Legend of Galactic Heroes blurays, $1200 on Tytania, $1500 on Cobra, and $250 on Galaxy Express 999 just to do a 3 minute scifi video.
You realize that sounds like sarcasm, right?
I said you push your flawed techniques onto others.
]
You push. I suggest.
. But doing it wrong is not easier, it forces you to spend time fixing shit.
No, it doesn't. I don't need to spend hours fixing minor compression artifacts and trying to make it slightly sharper because that doesn't fucking matter. I'm happy with DVD-quality. Most people don't base their entire lives around encoding. You give a 3000kbps WMV to the average person and if you prod them about quality you might get the response "I guess it's slightly blurry". They probably won't even notice banding, aliasing, or artifacts until the bitrate starts getting around 2000. If they even care at all. My favorite AMV is seven years old and was distributed as a 352*240 MPEG with bitrate around ~1600. The quality is ass, but I don't give the slightest crap. When I'm watching it, I don't even notice the quality, because the editing is sex.

You're going to overwhelm nubs and keep them from editing. Not all of them, but some, and I'm sure it's what you want, but it's absurdly unnecessary. If the most important thing to you is the goddamned encoding then go watch 4k videos. New editors need to work on the editing aspects of creating an AMV, because that's how you make a goddamn AMV. Song and clip selection, matching the mood, structure, and pace of the song, maintaining synch, using appropriate effects, conveying a story as needed, these are the crucial points of an AMV.

In physics, they teach you basic rules and laws early on, which you use to solve problems and develop your physics skills. Eventually you learn most of Newtonian phyiscs you learned are only applicable in certain scale and conditions, and if you go on you can find out all about quantum mechanics that seriously outdates the laws of Newton. This is a common theme throughout many subjects in school - you learn certain rules because they are easy to learn, they give you the idea, and they work under certain conditions or in an approximate level. When you've grasped the concepts and have the skills you move on to advanced material. Granted, much of the American education system is crap, and you spend too much time unlearning what you've learned previously, but I really don't want to get into a discussion about education.

Maybe a better parallel is photography. Obviously you have the all out pro with a $15,000 Digital (or even film!) SLR, $6,000 lens and a backpack full of batteries, filters, and more lenses, who carefully sets up the aperture, shutter, ISO, white balance, and always manual focus, spends up to hours on framing and waiting for the right lighting for one RAW photo, and may even linger to get the shot repeatedly as the day progreses and the lighting changes. On the other end of the spectrum you've got a college student majoring in business who likes to go on hikes over the weekend and take a few JPGs along the way with her 6-megapixel Kodak point-and-shoot - maybe she picks a camera preset and later crops and tweaks the color in GIMP. If she has a good eye for good shots, spends a minute or two getting pretty good framing in decent lighting, does that mean she can't make good pictures? Will her friends on Facebook, Flickr, and deviantArt not like her pictures because they're less than 3,600 pixels wide and that compression could be just a bit better? I would hope if she tries to make a tutorial on getting good photos with a point and shoot, maybe thinking people care about things like lighting and framing, some photography fetishist wouldn't tell her "sorry, the only acceptable way to take photos is with an SLR".

Also, does her cheap camera prevent her from spending hours getting that perfect photo? If the composition, color, and lighting are perfect, and she makes a 4*6 print, does it matter that much to her or her friends what camera she used? If she has a true passion for photography and it goes beyond a hobby, will she be unable to move on to an SLR? You can pick up bad habits from a point-and-shoot but that doesn't prevent you from correcting them, and it doesn't mean SLR is the first or only step for a hobbyist.

It's not a perfect analogy, because cameras cost money and the ripping/converting/encoding software we're talking about here doesn't. I'd be surprised if you get anything out of the anology at all. Since your priorities are so ridiculous and you pride yourself in being an ass, I'm not very inclined to continue talking with you either.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:33 am

I skimmed most of that because it was irrelevant and shows you don't know much about photography.

I'm not saying someone should spend all their time filtering and messing with x264 but at least preparing your sources properly; eg ripping it the right way and frame processing correctly, is incredibly important and EVERY amver should spend a bit of time making sure their base footage is acceptable. If you are going to skimp on your IVTC or whatever, then don't you dare offer advice on this forum.

Incidentally I think all AMVs suck so to me it makes no difference how good at any particular aspect the creator is.

Return to “AviSynth Help”