What does Honor mean to you?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
ultimateX021
Org Profile

What does Honor mean to you?

Post by ultimateX021 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:08 pm

What's up everybody.

You may have noticed the previous thread I made, but I have not abandoned it. I'm still working on that concept at the moment.

In the meantime, I have important questions to ask. It'll aid me in an idea I'll consider sometime next year or later depending on the equipment I'll have at my disposal.

What does Honor mean to you? Why?
One who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. One who doesn't ask a question is a fool FOREVER....... ~Chinese Proverb~

Chaobunny12
Org Profile

Post by Chaobunny12 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:44 pm

Zuko? :sweat:

Ok, but in all seriousness...honor to me is doing what you believe is right no matter what anyone else says.

DayWalker B.
Org Profile

Post by DayWalker B. » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:08 pm

Honesty, strength, reputation (which ideally accompanies the other two), etc... that's some of the stuff I associate with the word 'honor'.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:42 pm

The Americanized [mis-]spelling of the word "honour".

Colonials |:>

To be serious, you could start here..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor

I'd suggest honour is a traditional social value that comes out of old, tribal cultures. Depending on where you stood in the society, you had a place and a role which required you to put that role above all else. A warrior's honour would be the expectation to put his duty to fight above all else, but that's not the only type of honour that is possible. In many traditional (and very sexist) societies, a woman's honour would be her fidelity to the husband and duty to raise the family.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:33 pm

Honor is killing that bastard who shamed you, and making sure your women are completely covered.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:48 pm

Otohiko wrote:The Americanized [mis-]spelling of the word "honour".

beat me to it.
I was going to say something about the degredation of the english language and quote John Cleese's letter to America.

psst "ized" instead of "ised" is another one :P

Interestingly enough if you're using anime as your source the traditional Japanese concept of honour is quite different to the western view so it could get quite mangled blending the two >.>
new banzors in the making :p

ultimateX021
Org Profile

Post by ultimateX021 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:51 pm

Autraya wrote:
Otohiko wrote:The Americanized [mis-]spelling of the word "honour".

beat me to it.
I was going to say something about the degredation of the english language and quote John Cleese's letter to America.

psst "ized" instead of "ised" is another one :P

Interestingly enough if you're using anime as your source the traditional Japanese concept of honour is quite different to the western view so it could get quite mangled blending the two >.>
Different cultural views on one word huh. I figured that would be mentioned since I did some background check on honor or "honour." It's interesting how the Japanese definition of this word differs from the American definition. Then again, one thing I learned is that it depends on the people's perspective. Individuals have their own beliefs, ideas, and point of views on any subject. Whether they are the same or not, there may be parallels or distinguishing concepts between them. That's where I come in to explore the word (Thanks to Otohiko for that link earlier). I'm looking into how it is defined and interpreted while trying to look at it from a general point of view (not that I'm going to ask the entire United States or Japan what the definition of Honor is). I'll just explore different viewpoints and go from there, for now. I'll figure it out the rest of the way.
One who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. One who doesn't ask a question is a fool FOREVER....... ~Chinese Proverb~

Return to “General AMV”