Post by Neverend » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:50 pm

Hehe, I smiled reading this! :bzz: :bzz2:

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Re: The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Post by Phade » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:21 pm

Hey Everyone!

I’ve been so distracted with putting together the new backup server that I forgot to give you guys the results of the fund raiser. D’oh! ^_^

You all did very well on our quest! We didn’t make our goal completely, but we have a good amount to work with on getting new machines. The backup server has all new hardware and is starting to back things up very nicely.

There are several very happy people with their very special thank you gift for their support! But there is one person who got a message they did not expect. I went out a got an extra spare hard drive, picked a person at random who donated during this drive, sent them a private message saying that they have 24 hours to reply with their address and I will send the drive to them just for donating during this fund drive! If they do not respond, I will pick a different random donator person and give them the same opportunity. And you thought you were just being cool by donating what you wanted to give. ^_^

Thank you again to everyone who donated!! We will keep you posted on what we end up getting!

Phade.

oldwrench
Org Profile

Post by oldwrench » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:34 pm

Hmmmm..... counting up the number of files, at 10 videos viewed per day, it will take 27 years or more to view them all........ I don't think I'm going to last that much longer.
Where did you say I'm going?.... And what am I doing in a handbasket?

Come and join us on the tiny but fun forum at http://www.allanime.org

Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:21 pm

Is there a reason no one has mentioned anything about running virtual? With todays advances in the Virtual world, it may be more cost effective to run a single or maybe 2 vmware host machines, and run all the servers you are mentioning as virtual appliances. the benefits include being able to do entire backups of the servers VMDK files that can easily be restored in the event of a crash much easier than a physical server can, Snapshots can be taken each time something is upgraded or changed for added stability and mitigation planning. Additional servers can simply be created as needed, and should any hardware on one of the hosts fail, VMware will automatically move the effected servers to the new host with no downtime.

I work as an Appications Engineer (meaning I design server builds and specifications for applications we use here) for Chicos, and almost our entire infrastructure is run virtual for these reasons. It used to be a physical server simply performed better than virtual, but the performance hit is barely noticeable these days, while the benefits far outweigh the tiny little performance hit you get. Most of our eCommerce site is also run virtual and can keep up with the load, so the load of the org should be able to aswell.

It could very well be the expense is greater, as I do not know the license costs that would be incurred to run vmware on a smaller envirnoment like the org, compared to just running a few physical servers, but it is much cheaper in a larger environment like ours. My question really is if it has been considered.

Findread
the Anime Racist
Org Profile

Post by Findread » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:43 am

Any new updates?
"Guess I'll go with the flow...whatever that means."

Kagacie
YEAY I SCREWED FROM THE START,I'M A FAILURE IN LIFE :D
Org Profile

Post by Kagacie » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:59 am

Any new updates?
I asked some of the mods and none of had an anwser?
if you just took the money and ran , people will find you :nono:

Liquified
Org Profile

Post by Liquified » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:06 am

Any new updates?
I asked some of the mods and none of had an anwser?
Now im curious... :ying:
"What do you think Doc, am I crazy?"
"It sounds like you have a classic case of Anatidaephobia, which is a fear of being watched by ducks. I recommend that you go to the store, buy many loaves of bread and and feed the ducks. Feed ALL the ducks. FEED THE DUCKS!."
"That's your advice?"
"FEED THEM!"

Dr. Derpface, J.D.
Org Profile

Post by Dr. Derpface, J.D. » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:18 am

Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:27 pm

Hullo ?
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Post by derobert » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:56 pm

I think Phade has been pretty busy, but I'll bug him to provide a proper update ASAP. Probably early next week.

The new backup server is finally running as of last night. Installing new drives (including a new OS drive) turned out to be much more of a fight than expected, the UEFI firmware had to be beaten into submission. Didn't help that the disk clone tool Phade was using failed, due to an (unused) bad sector on the old drive. Overall, having Phade type into the console to fix it took quite a while. (I sent him a command to run, he took a photo with his phone to send the results back, repeat).

But we now have a reliable video and database backup again. (We sort of had them before, but they were held together with chewing gum and duct tape. Probably more gum than duct tape.)
Key 55EA59FE; fingerprint = E501 CEE3 E030 2D48 D449 274C FB3F 88C2 55EA 59FE
A mighty order of ages is born anew.              http://twitter.com/derobert

Return to “Site Announcements”