Trippy amv

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
zibbazabba905
Org Profile

Trippy amv

Post by zibbazabba905 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:09 am

I'd like to do a trippy amv, not like "waka laka for osaka" but more of a slower mood setting (like examples below). I can't think at all of how to put one together besides doing some "brainstorming" which has been a long while since the last time I did that, and It doesn't seem to make me all that creative. I keep coming back to what I think are the basics, which would be that the effects have to be slow, spotlessly clean, and partially repetitive. I can't think of much after that, maybe less on the beat and more on the woosh wooshness of the melody/background instruments? I have a hard time analyzing the other videos because while watching them, it feels like something clicks off...segue into examples of what I'm talking about:

any other things that could make a good trippy amv?
"Uhmmm... You know... it was at that point that I realized that maybe Thierry wasn't actually a film maker, and he was maybe just someone with mental problems who happened to have a camera. " -Banksy

slimed
Org Profile

Re: Trippy amv

Post by slimed » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:40 am

a few of those seem to achieve that vibe by relying on song/anime choice definitely, and color tweaking too. the first example seems to be deliberately off sync, only slightly, which would help express disorientation (if that's what you're going for).

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:54 am

You gotta have Maniaki up in that list. He's the master of psychedelic AMVs.

Zanzaben
Org Profile

Post by Zanzaben » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:33 pm

Well based on my conception of "Trippy" the most important thing you need to consider is if you want the person who watched to feel like they had a good trip (happy), a bad trip (disturbed), or a WTF trip (WTF), because those are 3 very different things. For any of them you should have no idea why it made you feel that why but it should make you feel that way. So first off
Humans love repetition it is just how we work so the use of lack of use is really important. A good trip will use it a lot, a bad trip will work hard to not use it, and WTF is yeah ...
Happy will want to use lots of bright colors, smooth transitions, and constant slow movement. The repetition is most important to make it feel predictable like there is going to be more of the same good things ahead.
Disturbed will want to use pretty much the exact opposite, darker colors, rapid transitions, chaotic movement from slow to very fast to frozen. Make the entire thing unpredictable, change at what seems like random times and take everything you know about syncing and do it slightly wrong (its amazing how much that can effect people).
WTF is hardest to explain due to the fact that by design you should have no idea what happened. I would say the best way to do that is to mix/switch between the other two and see what happens.

This is of course all psychological stuff and ever person is different so this is just my take on it.
Zanz Bonus Points Tally
8bit_samurai: 1, CodeZTM: 1, Eake4: 2, ibabrak: 5, Mirkosp: 4, tipsd9video: 1, uncreative: 1

Return to “General AMV”