AMV Salad 4: TV Dinner (next stop - Nekocon)

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
moonbunnychan
Org Profile

Re: AMV Salad 4: TV Dinner (OTAKON World Premiere - 10pm 7.31)

Post by moonbunnychan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:23 pm

Ok just as an fyi, video 5 is in the hilton. Kinda a bummer about that since it gets much less traffic. It's like midnight, granted, but I'm sitting watching the gundam one and the room's like a quarter full.

moonbunnychan
Org Profile

Post by moonbunnychan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:13 pm

Wow that went AMAZING, it got an even better reaction then I thought. That room was PACKED.

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:10 am

...moonbunnychan understated the point.

I'll give you the rndown when I get home but here are the highlights.
* the Gieco ads, especially the Ryo Ohki, popped big time.
* I think more than 90% of the entire video was laughed at.
* After the screening, I overheard someone saying as they left the room, "That AMV Salad thing made it worth me coming to this (fan parodies).
* The biggest pop came at the very end when the "Hypnotoad" AMVS5 teaser closed.
...and finally this...
*I foud out the room, which was filled beyond seating capacity, holds 1200 people! You do the math.

Anyhow, I'll holler at y'all Monday.

I'm SO VERY PROUD of you all!!!
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:05 am

I wish that I could have met more of you. I expected to see you guys near the front of the line, but sine I didn't know what anyone looked like, I couldn't find anyone. When that guy asked us to stand up, I noticed that some of you were really in the back. I only arrived 20 minutes before the screening, but when I spoke to him, he allowed me to bypass the line.

Also, I'm glad that my Kyoka Bunch video got a few laughs. It was really meant to be more amusing than LOL funny, so when a girl yelled out that she got the joke, I felt really relieved.
Last edited by Kireblue on Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:07 am

When can we expect a download of this? I've been dying to check it out for about a month now. xD

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:21 am

I'm very very sorry I didn't get to meet most of you in person. My Thursday flight that was supposed to arrive at 3:30 ended up being cancelled and I had to fly into Raegan, metro to amtrak only to find out no more trains ran at 11:30, then through miraculous serendipity taxi all the way to BWI with a woman who was gracious enough to drive us downtown if we covered the cab, which we were told would be at least 100 bucks, but ended up being exactly 50, thank god. I was lucky I got any sleep Thursday night at all.

You'll all be happy to know I recorded the AMVS4 premiere as well, reactions included, for those of you who weren't able to make it to the event, and for timing analyzing and such. I gotta say, that room SUUUUUUCCCCCKKKED!! We MUST find a way to guarantee we never ever show fanparodies in a rectangular dual-speaker setup ever again. Professionally cut audio is the only type that even has a chance of being heard, like our clips were. We were very lucky in that regard, but even then a few faltered in the face of the reverb. Some of the jokes in the ones that cleared the room were great if you could hear them, but you just couldn't make it out so everyone started leaving. Sad really.

For me the sad part is, the censored POS was pretty funny, but with the reverb causing everything to be so muffled, the censor sounds started coming too close together as I was afraid of and killing the narrative. The uncensored in this situation would have probably worked better unfortunately. Hopefully next year on the replay we get a room that will not screw things up. Oddly enough, the off-handed idea I put in for the final text box about 'exploding 2 days after the warranty' caught everyone. I was completely surprised, I'd totally forgotten I even put that there ^^ If we can get away with it, I'd like it if we can upload the censored and uncensored versions to AMVS.org. Had a good hour long conversation Friday night with Scott too about the AMVS4 troubles and censorship and just chatting about what he's dealing with now and such. Enlightening stuff.

Speaking of which, I'll be uploading the recorded premiere for creators later on when I can get it off my camera. Now here's the thing. Whatever you do, you can never, ever, ever post the recording anywhere. You can of course show family and friends but please don't send it to anyone. I got permission to do it only with that promise, otherwise Otakon could be fined... a lot. Technically Scott joked with me that I shouldn't have told him, but ya know... I'm an idiot. But since it's really just for our studying of the reactions and creators' use, their lawyer said it was authorized. I just really need to stress that it's for all of our personal use and not for upload anywhere, otherwise we could get Otakon fined a good chunk of money.

Now... who else liked the Gundam one ^^ I was all 'please be good, please be good!' and then that first line " ...Hmm.... I seem to have bolted myself to this missile..." Priceless. Had its slow points, but I was impressed.

Edit:
When that guy asked us to stand up, I noticed that some of you were really in the back.
I was in the front, I didn't see anyone else. I don't even remember being told to stand or raise hands on Saturday. I was asked to stand up on Friday and was COMPLETELY alone, and then asked to say a few words up front... pretty embarrassing, mic broke, was screaming, nobody could hear me... came back on, said some shit I didn't remember and went and sat down ^^ Hopefully somewhere in there I told them to have fun and join in or something inspirational.
ImageImageImage

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:00 am

I'm going to sleep right now but I have to say this.

I spoke to Scott a bit after the Salad premiered (and after sending the news to friends and Facebook). He said we ALMOST got played Friday night instead because he couldn't get one of the main parodies to work on his system so he had to pull up some repeats from past years to fill time. He did say that he was impressed with the turnout and reaction so keeping us on Saturday was the right decision.

The AMV gods smiled on us yet again.

He told me he has grand plans for next year (which he also spoke to Gael about - you wanna help explain this one?) which include another type of multi-editor project. I think this would be an awesome chance for some of you to step up to another level by joining in. Details will be forthcoming but right now we need email addresses from any of you who would be interested in knowing more about this project. It's gonna involve people like Team Four Star as well as other editors from around the world. So PM me your email addresses and I'll send them to Scott by the end of the week.

Keep in mind this will be in addition to AMVS5.

I'll never get over it - 1200-1300 viewers! And it's clear they want more. Which is a good thing because, otherwise, Scott would have probably asked for the removal of the "Hypnotoad" ending. He joked about how pretentious and presumptive it was that we threw that in but "unless you don't actually do another one or I decide I hate you, which is unlikely," it's not a big deal.

Well, that's all for now. The AMVS5 thread goes up later today. I'll link it from here when it does.

Let's have another awesome project for Otakon 2011..!
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

MaggIvy
Org Profile

Post by MaggIvy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:56 am

I'm glad to be a part of it, even though I didn't make as many entries as I wanted in due to lack of time, I definitely want try again next year if I can come up with something.

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:57 am

I wanted to add something to this for you all by the way. As the only one of us (as far as I know) who saw the Otakon 2009 premiere of AMVS3, I have to give you all a comparison. AMVS4 surpassed it in general quality without any two ways about it. I honestly was a humbled by how intriguing the audience's joke timing was this year. AMVS3 nearly all the timings I expected were hit, this year, I learned many new things. I cannot tell you how happy I was I recorded this year, it will help us out a LOT I think. We need to keep in mind the audio screw ups being a factor in the timing, but still, it should give us a new way to examine things.

AMVS3 when the end came, there was laughter, and there was sitting, and a little discussion. There was definitely a general air of enjoyment, and of course as usual krvabo your logo gets everyone riled and into it. Several others as well. This year as all of you who were there saw, was... a tad different? ^^ I can tell you that the cheer AMVS4 got after the final geico ad and the declaration of AMVS5 next year was what I desperately had wanted to hear last year. It was so uplifting. I'm so glad this time some of you could be there, and I could also record it for those of you who missed it for Iron Editor and such.

I'll be recording every year as long as I can be there I think. I didn't find out I got permission to record until AFTER I recorded it so... yeah. I kinda kept it by my chest so it couldn't be seen and didn't want to risk looking at the crowd. You're gonna hate me though, my heart was pounding, so the video vibrates a lot :D And you'll hear me desperately trying not to lose it, sorry about that :roll:

If as Scott says, next year is the year of the fan parodies, then it may be worthwhile to submit a request for a private screening of AMVS3 and 4 in a video room for an hour. If we do a showing mid-day on friday or saturday, not interfering with Iron Editor and AMV contest or Masquerade, we could fill the room again easy.
ImageImageImage

moonbunnychan
Org Profile

Post by moonbunnychan » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:30 am

Agreed on the room...man that was bad. I'm glad my worries about it being over in the Hilton were unfounded though.
A lot surprised me, actually, as far as what got really loud laughter that I wasn't expecting to, and a couple that didn't though I think that was more the fault of the audio. I don't think a single thing went by that didn't get a good amount of laughing. It was a shame though that the Cowboy Bebop bounty hunter one got pretty much missed due to people laughing still from before it.

I'll be interested to see that video and see if my memory of that night matches the video, because in my memory it was epic.

I'd gone to the AMV Hell 5 panel, which, granted that's still a work in progress, but Salad actually seemed to get much more laughs and positive responses then it overall.

I saw Deuce a couple of times, but I knew him already so I could pick him out from a crowd. And by absolute fluke Kireblue was sitting directly behind me at the AMV contest and we found this out via DS Pictochat. lol.

Glad they let the hypnotoad thing stay in, it got such a big reaction, omg. Way more then I EVER thought.

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”