AMV Salad 4: TV Dinner (next stop - Nekocon)

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Re: AMV Salad 4: TV Dinner (OTAKON World Premiere - 10pm 7.31)

Post by Gaelstrom » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:13 pm

Heh, I am trained a bit in acting since I'm an animator as well, and I've actually done a little ADR work for my game, so I can voice act as well. We'll have to determine if whomever we get will work or not. Go figure, this would end up being AMV Salad: The Motion Picture and we'd STILL follow in AMV Hell's footsteps in that regard, haha!

I wasn't considering that we'd use actual Family Guy clips as the asides, but for a quick example of what I meant, say we chose Beck as the base anime:

Ryuusuke: "If we're going to get 'Shiny Happy People' out there into Live Houses, then we-"

Taira: "I thought we were called 'Beck'..."

Ryuusuke: "Hey, who's the leader here?"

Taira: "...this is looking even worse than that last band I was with..."

*cut to the Haruhi clip playing Dragonforce from AMVS2 but a composited arrow pointing at Nagato saying "Taira" or something*

That's not very funny a cut of course, but for example purposes, the idea was basically take AMV Hell style clips (I was thinking new ones, but they can be older as well), maybe even request from creators to use some of the ones we like, and make it so that AMV Salad still exists as a random clip thing, but give it an actual plot with the clips inserted as Family Guy STYLE asides. This way we have unlimited aside ideas and people can come up with whatever they want. It will also limit the amount of time we have to land those jokes so we'll be forced to be creative. Darkness would be perfect for those, those appear to be his strong points if you can get him interested (I've always loved his clips, you can probably see the similarities in his style of humor and mine, actually.)

The one drawback is there would have to be that the writing would have to be exceptionally good. We have enough bad fanparodies coming out in recent years. The jokes have to be excellent, and the story purposeful as well, so ego would have to be out the door and we'd need a test group to tell us if it sucked before we ever proceeded. I've been a writer for years, and if you truly wanted to do this Deuce, I'd love to help out as a sound board for ideas and editing (both written and video ^^).
ImageImageImage

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:00 pm

Everyone else weigh in...AMV Salad 5: Family Dining!

If accepted, it would be a Family Guy-style parody.
Anime base: to be discussed / voted on.
Script / story: to be developed.
Flashback / asides: audio provided; editors choose one at a time from a list - OR - past AMV Salad clips used - OR - a combination of both.
Voices: to be cast - details later.

To call this an ambitious idea is an understatement but would this not be awesome?
What do y'all think?
Shall I put out an interest gauge?
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:34 am

Interest may be generated more if a few ideas can be determined to be voted on or considered by everyone. There could even be a brainstorm session at the 5 Guys dinner for example. This is definitely something that should be created in larger conversations though, with like you and a couple others or something have say over what gets in finally or something. Basically like sending in clip ideas, just this time brainstorming them and giving them to someone and letting them get it in somehow into the plot. I honestly have seen the most incredible ideas come about because of back and forth conversations where they don't latch onto any ideas immediately, so I'd suggest some chat sessions to see what people would want. I'd love some MSN or AIM convos to see what comes of them. Brainstorming sessions between my friends and I always lead to fun new ideas.
ImageImageImage

krvabo
Org Profile

Post by krvabo » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:19 am

I dont really like the idea if i'm honoust.
I like the short random-y way the clips are put together, there are sooooo many other amvs which follow a plot or a real theme; how would it be any different?

Also: I hate family guy so I don't get what style it has to be.
ImageImageImage

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:31 pm

I think you may have misunderstood. It wouldn't be an Anime Music Video, it'd be a true fan parody, as in rewritten plot, voice acted by us, and edited together to match that plot, like Evangelion Redeath, This is Otakudom, Nescaflowne and such. Granted it may be better to have it be an AMVS spin-off rather than AMVS5 perhaps. Even if you don't like Family Guy, the style in which they randomly switch to something else is rather similar to how we do it, except we lack the plot. Deuce misunderstood what I meant before and seemed to think I meant specifically Family Guy audio, when what I really meant was that we would emulate their methods.

Now the big challenge is, and this is where people who don't like Family Guy would actually be useful, is to make sure it doesn't become something that people go "Oh they copied Family Guy." So perspectives other than that are just as useful in guiding the idea to being something more unique and enjoyable by a wider range of the audience.
ImageImageImage

moonbunnychan
Org Profile

Post by moonbunnychan » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:38 pm

I dunno if I like it either...I really don't know how much I could come up for for it. That and it would be a pretty dramatic shift.

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:55 pm

It was just an idea, kids. It might crop up somewhere within the 'org forums (unless it's determined a full-blown parody doesn't qualify as an AMV). If any interest is shown, we'll kick this pig around and see where it lands.

In the meantime, has anyone thought of a possible concept for AMV Salad 5: This Smells Funny? Otherwise we may just "go back to our roots" and do a straight clip montage. Whatever it is, it has to be FUNNY!

...go!
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:26 am

I came up with a fun logo idea for next year that takes the concepts of the AMVS4 intro/logo I came up with this year and expands on it. If I can pull it off it will be quite amusing, but it will be a challenge. The Geico money did a great job this year, but it may be time to really work on expanding the running gag to be more than a few clips. That's kind of where this fanparody idea came from, and expanded into the running gag being an underlying plot. One of the benefits of the AMV Hell style is that it's simple, but it's also its weakness, because it can't easily become anything else. We always can kill with just good clips, and if we do something more with a good underlying gag that everyone relates to, it's just stronger.

Honestly, I'd say AMVS should remain what it is until interest diminishes. If you are truly interested in doing a real fanparody, linking it to AMVS may actually be a hindrance in some ways, but can still contain ideas similar to what I mentioned before. It may just attract different people, so it should probably be a separate project for you. It's something you could expand on in the coming months and work on alongside the AMVS series for a future Otakon. I'm sure there's a way to link them if you want to, but it will require a much deeper 'design' discussion. It's something I'm more than willing to work with you on, because it sounds like quite a fun challenge.
ImageImageImage

Angelyco
Org Profile

Post by Angelyco » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:54 pm

Nygmatech and I won't be able to be at the Otakon premiere. Iron Editor runs right over it and we have to be there--our studio mate is actually the challenger for Iron Editor this year. Crappy scheduling.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:21 pm

I am going to ATTEMPT to record reactions this year. I borrowed a friends digital camcorder and am going to try and bring it in to record the reactions to it. I wanted to do it last year to see where jokes worked and such, but didn't have access to one. I'm not sure it will be allowed at all, but I'm still going to try. Being a creator in it may hopefully give me some leeway with that, I don't plan to record anything else. If I can manage to pull that off, I'll do everything I can to get it to you and others who couldn't see it.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”