Journey Into Sync - On Hiatus - trust noone

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Journey Into Sync - On Hiatus - trust noone

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:54 am

Journey into sync

Since I’m not a frequent visitor of this part of the forum, excuse any rudeness in creating an official thread for this – I strongly felt that the previous one (an interest gauge) wouldn’t exactly transfer over well to an official sign-up thread.

OK, After a short period of languishing, I’ve been urged to officially kick this off by a couple of eager participants. (certain sections below are copied from the previous interest gauge thread). Thanks to borihiei for the working title.

Concept:

I want to display various editor’s styles of sync – what better medium than Trance? For more details, check out the interest gauge thread here.

The Source: Trance_Fixed (192CBR)

Full Project mix (Uncompressed WAV - VERY LARGE)

Cuts are up and the cut down album is above.

00:00 - 02:50 - - Intro - Basharoftheages (Manabi Straight)
02:50 - 05:00 - - Track 01 - - A - - FinalResolve
04:55 - 05:40 - - Track 02 - - B - -
05:35 - 07:40 - - Track 03 - - C - - Malificus (Gankutsuou)
07:36 - 09:46 - - Track 04 - - D - - SacredArrow18 (Moonphahse)
09:34 - 11:39 - - Track 05 - - E - - ngsilver (The Third)
11:35 - 12:49 - - Track 06 - - F - -
12:47 - 13:55 - - Track 07 - - E - - ngsilver (The Third)
13:30 - 14:17 - - Track 08 - - F - -
13:40 - 16:28 - - Track 09 - - G - - Bakadeshi (various Mecha)
16:26 - 18:20 - - Track 10 - - H - - kiarrens (Howl's Moving Castle/Spirited Away)
18:15 - 22:05 - - Track 11 - - I - -
22:05 - 24:27 - - Track 12 - - J - -
24:25 - 26:28 - - Track 13 - - K - - Borihiei (some flavor of Ghost in the Shell)
26:27 - 27:26 - - Track 14 - - L - - Songbird21 (MAi Hime/ Shukugan No Shana/ AMG (New version))
27:23 - 27:51 - - Track 15 - - K - - Borihiei (some flavor of Ghost in the Shell)
27:50 - 28:58 - - Track 16 - - L - - Songbird21 (MAi Hime/ Shukugan No Shana/ AMG (New version))
28:44 - 29:26 - - Track 17 - - K - - Borihiei (some flavor of Ghost in the Shell)
29:12 - 31:38 - - Track 18 - - M - -
31:36 - 34:36 - - Track 19 - - N - -
34:26 - 37:09 - - Track 20 - - O - - Ileia (Interstella 5555)
37:08 - 39:00 - - Track 21 - - P - - Dokool (Basilisk)
39:00 - 40:10 - - Closing credits
Basharoftheages (???)

You’ll notice I’ve indirectly proposed a team edit sequence where multiple small sections alternate back and forth between 2 tracks (the red/blue alternating segments). Though it’ll mean a lot more work on my part in terms of mixing segments together, I think it’ll add a certain uniqueness to the project as a whole. *NOTE* You'll be working on a track letter. If that letter appears more than once, you are responsible for all the sections it is part of.

Content:

I’m looking for work safe content here. Something that could (though I make no promises on “will”) be shown to a general audience at a convention. Essentially, I want something that could be on Local when all is said and done.

Technical:

Segments should be 720 x 480, 29.97 FPS HuffYUV or uncompressed AVI. Footage should look… awesome. I value clean footage as much as editing skill. If you look at either of my last 2 vids, you’ll see what I expect in terms of visual quality (at least). I shouldn’t need to say anything, but if I find subs, watermarks, etc. you’re getting booted from the project and publicly ridiculed.

Sign-ups:

To ensure the quality I expect in this, I’d like all people signing up for a track to provide me with a reference that proves the quality of their work and their ability to actively sync (complex beat sync is a plus). I want to see timing, flow, and substance here. All 3 are essential to making this thing work.

Along with your video link, I’d like you to provide 2 or 3 segments you’d be interested in (so i have some play with what I give people) and your possible anime choices for each – if you need time to think about your source(s), it’s okay. This isn’t going to be first-come first serve… I’m looking for quality people here.* I do want track choices though. Make sure to list your choices in order of preference if you have one.

*Addendum

I will, periodically consult my list and set creators to tracks so that those people that have already made their selections known will have the freedom to start their track if they want. I'll try to do this once a week on a Saturday.

*Addendum2

After the first week I kinda filled up all but 1 slot. So everything from here on out will for that last slot and then replacements if they're deemed necessary.

*Addendum3
I NEED MORE PEOPLE!

Betas / final project:

I'm thinking 2 betas - 1st one to let everyone else know your idea and as sort of a proof of concept, 2nd to show you're well on your way to completing something that's made of at least 87% win.

Deadlines:

1st beta - September 30th
2nd beta - November 30th
final track - January 5th

My reasoning on the final date is so I have a few weeks during my winter break to do my heavy mixing of tracks, the intro, and the closing credits. They're subject to change as needed or requested though.

Refer to the PMs I sent out for FTP info - and make sure your files are RARed or ZIPped and ascribe to the naming convention in the welcome message. This allows me to figure out who did what and allows you to know what file belongs to which person in case you want some peer review (which I highly suggest).

Artwork:
Banners / thread art / etc... I want it. I suck at making it, so anyone that's interested can go ahead and try their hand at it.

If I'm missing anything, please speak up. I'm new to this MEP thing, so I may miss things here and there.
Last edited by BasharOfTheAges on Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:42 pm, edited 72 times in total.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:12 am

I will almost certainly not be joining this, but I must say I am eager to see how it turns out. Good luck Bashar! :up:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:15 am

Why, thank you for your enthusiasm! :lol:
| | |

FinalResolve
Org Profile

Post by FinalResolve » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:31 am

26:27 - 27:26 - - Track 14 - - L
27:50 - 28:58 - - Track 16 - - L
02:50 - 05:00 - - Track 01 - - A

It took so long to make up my mind, but I'm happy with these 3, I think. I hope you get a chance to cut the tracks up too. Do the final exports have to be HuffYUV or uncompressed? I think Lagarith files are better all round, but it's not much of a problem.

As a reference of my 'editing skills' you can check out any of the two videos in my profile. One more thing, as for anime choices, even If I were to tell you what I'll be using I'd probably change my mind later, but I can at least promise quality footage :)

kiarrens
Hagane no Aikousha
Org Profile

Post by kiarrens » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:25 am

First Choice: 16:26 - 18:20 - - Track 10 - - H
Second Choice: 07:36 - 09:46 - - Track 04 - - D

Howl's Moving Castle for H (Tentative)
Not sure on D yet... something horror-y, I think. :)

As far as examples, you've seen most of my stuff. I think the AB panel intro was the best I've done as far as sync is concerned.
Last edited by kiarrens on Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ConnectiCon 2009 - 2013: FMV Contest Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2010 - 2013: Cosplay Chess Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2012/2013: Assistant Masquerade Coordinator

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:56 am

Re-downloading the mix now. Lost it somewhere. Will pick a Part I Like, and Highly doubt i'll be let in, cause you're lookin for the best of the best it seems, but at least i'll try. If I am let in it'll be for action synch anyway so, we'll see.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:59 pm

FinalResolve wrote:26:27 - 27:26 - - Track 14 - - L
27:50 - 28:58 - - Track 16 - - L
02:50 - 05:00 - - Track 01 - - A
Just so you know, L is all one track... i may have not explained that all fully, but it's a back-and-forth sort of thing... that's why it's the same letter and spicifically colored differently. I made it a bit more obvious now.
FinalResolve wrote: Do the final exports have to be HuffYUV or uncompressed? I think Lagarith files are better all round, but it's not much of a problem.
I'd prefer they'd be. I'll be asking they get to me zipped though.
| | |

dj_ultima_the_great
Org Profile

Post by dj_ultima_the_great » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:53 pm

I'm interested in editing for this project. Here's some examples of my stuff.

Made this about a year ago, and it's more where I'm in my element (since it's VG footage). Virtually no effects, because I'm still working on using them well.

My most recent video. Premiered at ACen about two months ago. Video quality kinda blows because I didn't realize the DVDs were bootleg before I started working with them.

If you think this is an acceptable level of editing for the project, then I just have one question: is VG footage allowed? That's more than likely what I'd be wanting to work with if you think I'm up to editing for this.

- Jen

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:04 pm

dj_ultima_the_great wrote:is VG footage allowed? That's more than likely what I'd be wanting to work with if you think I'm up to editing for this.
As long as you don't make the transition parts (where over lap occurs at either end of your track) too dificult to mix with the other sections and the footage is orgable by itself, that's perfectly fine.

Mind posting your possible choices for tracks?
| | |

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:05 pm

Hmm... must have looked over the interest gauge while skimming this forum. I really like this idea and the audio source.

I choose, A, E, and H as my three choices.

Unfortunately, I don't have much recent work that shows my sync style, but what I do have is:

Then there is my segment from the SM Project that can be found here. It the most recent released video I've done, and perhaps the most complex syncing I've done as well.

If you want, I can also PM you working Betas of my newest projects, quality and sync should be much higher on them in comparison.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”