VG4 - Video Game Project 4: Rebirth official thread
: Any editor who has picked out a track is now entitled to make 3 shorts. However, due to time restraints, these shorts may or may not appear in the final product.
Welcome to the Video Game Project 4: Rebirth (aka VG4) thread. After a one year hiatus, I have finally decided to start up the VG Projects again
Official VG4 site
Please read through this entire thread carefully before emailing me about track selection
After AWA 2006, MJ missed having a project on the big screen. I discussed things with MJ and Flux afterwards and they were pretty cool with starting another VG Project. However, for the past few weeks I've been getting cold feet about it because it's been a while since I've coordinated an MEP and was kind of afraid I would lose interest. When I downloaded ROS3, I felt inspired again to finally go through with the project. I did a private interest gauge among a few friends and alot of them seemed very interested in joining VG4 so now here it is.
MJ and Flux will no longer be coordinators on the project, so I will be the one coordinating everything from now on.
Main Coordinator: Castor Troy
Guild Wars: Castor Troy Amv
Official VG4 Yahoo Groups Mailing list
VG4 is the 4th installment of the VG related projects (NES Project 2003
, Retro Video Game Project 2004
, Video Game Project 3
) dedicated to video game music remixes. With every project, the theme is one era of video gaming. So this year's theme will go up to the current gaming systems (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, DS, PC, and below). This project will not include the PS3, Xbox360, or the Wii.
Remixes from the NES, SNES, Genesis, PSX, N64, Saturn, Dreamcast, PC, PS2, Xbox, GBA, Arcade, Nintendo DS, Gamecube, etc..(and any other older system like the PC Engine/Turbo Graphix 16, Atari, etc...) are eligible for the project.
You can get video game remixes from sites like OCRemix
, remix soundtracks, etc...
*New* VG4 Shorts
These were introduced in VG3, but only 2 of them were made. I will now allow some fun VG related shorts to be used in the projects. You can use any audio source (just as long as it adheres to the general guidlines like no cursing, etc) just as long as the video relates to gaming. The shorts will only be 30 seconds or less and I will be limiting the amount that appear in the project since I don't want this project to be full of shorts. Each editor who is approved for the project will have the opportunity to do one short or more.
Track selection will be open to anybody, however, first priority will be given to anyone who completed a video on VG3 or anyone else I deem trustworthy. However, if you haven't been part of any of the past projects, don't let this discourage you because alot of the best videos on VG3 were from our new talent. This does not mean I will be recruiting anybody. I will mostly recruit anyone who has a geniune interest and who I can truly rely on.
Track selection will be open for as long as the project is running until it's completion. I highly recommend getting in your track selection ASAP so I can list you down for it and nobody else will take your track. I guarantee that there will be a few people trying to get the same track since this has happened on all of the past projects.
- How to select a track
Do not select a track unless you have a genuine interest and a commitment to finish one. I will not be personally harassing or inviting anyone. I want anyone who is truly interested to join from their own free will.
Send an email to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
(preferred), private message me, harass me on aim, respond to my lj
, etc... the following info...
- Your name/real name
- 2-3 tracks you are interested in (Please provide urls for them)
- Anime you will be using
- Your basic ideas for all of the tracks (Not answering this or saying I don't know yet, I think of something later will most likely not convince me to give you a track)
- If you want to make a short, then give me your general idea here along with the source/audio
Tracks can be obtained from OCRemix
, remix soundtracks, etc....Tracks used in any of the previous projects (NES
) are NOT eligible for VG4!
Only assume that you will be doing ONE track and ONE short so make your first pick the one you really want. If there are alot of dropouts or lack of progress from other editors, then I may be able to give certain people 2 tracks or more shorts.
Once I approve of your track, I will respond to your email giving you a good to go or I'll just say Yes if you message me on aim. You can begin editing your track as soon as I have given you approval. DO NOT edit a track unless I have given you approval because I don't want people sending me betas of a track with the same song making it difficult for me to chose who will get it (yes, this has happened before). In the middle of Dec or early Jan, I will post an update on this thread and the Official VG4 Page
with the people who have been assigned tracks.
Like the past projects, I will be using a Yahoo mailing list for private discussion of the project. I would highly recommend that you join the VG4 mailing list because the majority of the important updates will be made there. I must approve you before you can officially be part of the list.
Click here to join the mailing list
General Project Guidelines
- The project will be a maximum of one hour or a minimum of 45 minutes. Because of these time restraints, your video may or may not be part of the final project. Any video that did not make it into the final VG4 compilation will be included as an extra on the dvd. This may be subject to change. Please accept this fact before joining the project.
- You will accept and give constructive criticism without freaking out.
- You will be required to use game footage/sprites/etc for the video. I will be providing guides and resources for you on how to obtain and use them. You must connect the game and anime footage in a coherent way.
- You will accept the fact that your video may be removed from the project at any given time.
- Please do not use overexcessive violence or hentai in your videos. A small amount of violence can be tolerated but don't make a contra video where everyone gets their heads blown off in a bloody fashion.
- I will not tolerate any bickering or fighting between members of project. Please keep these issues to yourselves. Yes, this has happened before.
- You will not be a jerk or make videos for tracks you are not assigned (such as waaah, I wanted that mix and so I made a BETTER video for it than other person). If you are a jerk you will remove myself from the project before I do.
- You will only work on one track and one short unless under certain circumstances I give you permission to do more. Only a small amount of editors will be give a chance to do more than one track or short.
- You will not use any remixes used in previous projects
- You will inform me of any problems that may prevent you from finishing your track on time or meeting any of the deadlines.
- You will not piss me off. Just don't do it.
Video and submission guidelines
- Videos must be in MPEG2 format in 720 x 480 resolution in 29.97 or 23.98/24 (make sure you have a 3:2 pulldown) fps. It must playback perfectly on a standard Hollywood+/Netstream MPEG2 output card (This is what AWA uses for it's playback and I use it too).
- You must include 1-2 seconds of black leader before and after your video.
- You must include MTV style titles on your video. These must be in the title safe area! Refer to this guide for details
- Your video must only be a maximum of 3 minutes and no less than 01:30. Going over a few seconds must be subject to my approval.
- You will only use DVD or better quality footage. Absolutely no subbed or divx footage.
- You must upload your video to the designated ftp for the project. If I am unable to get a designated ftp, I will provide some space on my personal site to use or you must get it to me through other means (your server, yousendit, etc..)
- You will keep your betas/completed video private until the premiere. Make sure you only post betas on the yahoo mailing list.
- For anyone who has not been a part of the previous projects, I will require a short Proof of concept beta (around 10 seconds or more) by April 31st.
- Betas for everyone on the project are due July 31st.
- The final project deadline will be either August 31st or a little early in September depending on AWA's schedule. This will be subject to change.
Please visit the Official VG4 page
for updates, guides, etc. I will be posting the first round of people who have selected a track by the middle of December or early January.
With all of that said, I hope we can finally get this project off the ground!
Anyone who wants to display the banner in my sig, you can use this code..