How YOU can help the completion of Reflections of Style 3!

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
trythil
is
Org Profile

How YOU can help the completion of Reflections of Style 3!

Post by trythil » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:20 am

Yeah, we're doing it again.

The Reflections of Style 3 introduction sequence is nearing completion. Clearly, it still needs some work*, but between the RoS3 premiere coming up in a month and me almost finishing this thing, I figured now would be a good time to ask for render help.

If you're interested in helping out, please respond to this thread. I'll contact interested parties when the animation is ready for final render. Of course, render assistance (no matter how small) will be credited.

For the RoS2 call for render assistance, check out the thread http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... hp?t=55619 .

* Lighting is still a major issue that I'm still working out; the integration of 2D and 3D elements also need improvement. I'd also like to fix the sky, too, but, honestly, that's low on the list.

==

TECHNICAL NITTY-GRITTY INSANITY
(skip this if you don't care)

Some things to consider:

(1) I am, when it comes to 3D rendering optimizations, an idiot.

This render uses Blender's progressive radiosity solver to do global illumination work. That's not so bad, but it is terminally stupid when you consider that

(a) the results are noticably different between two different frames unless you instruct the solver to work at ridiculously high resolutions (and guess what I did)
(b) this is an animation
(c) this scene has a ridiculously high number of faces

However, it's too late for me to go about reworking the lighting setup, so I'm sticking with what I've got.

The practical upshot of all this is that the lighting calculations can't be parallelized and take quite a long time (something like 10-12 minutes). The actual rendering is quite fast, though, since I'm just using a scanline renderer.

(2) Related to point (1): Each blade of grass is a 3D object. (I'm faking grass as best I can with texture tricks, but we've got wind simulation in this intro too, and for that, I need 3D grass.) This results in a very large number of vertices (~<strike>4.2 - 4.8</strike> 3.7 million vertices at last count, though I'm working to bring that down), which translates into high memory requirements during rendering (~<strike>800 - 900</strike> 500 - 600 MB). The post-render compositing stage (used for adding fake DoF, color adjustments, etc.) eats up an additional 200 MB. Thankfully, memory usage isn't additive: Blender is smart enough to free memory when it doesn't need it anymore. Still, this scene isn't exactly light.

(3) Render time on my Macbook Pro (Intel Core Duo @ 2.0 GHz with 2GB of RAM) takes 15-18 minutes per frame. My Athlon64 3400+ with 1GB of RAM, in Gentoo, takes about the same amount of time -- maybe a minute or two off here and there.

While still excessive, this is far better than the 1 to 3 hours per frame I pulled with RoS2. :P The big difference is that I'm not using a raytracer this time. :) (though I'm kind of making up for that idiocy with radiosity. but enough of that.)

(4) Related to points (1) and (2): The version of Blender I am using contains some minor customizations I made to allow me to actually pull this stuff off. The customizations are:

- boosting limits for number of particles and hemicube resolution
- tweaks to the Z combine compositor node
- an additional compositor node very much like the Z combine node, but outputs Z data instead of an image

Therefore, in order to render this, you'll also need a custom copy of Blender. I can provide the source code, Mac OS X binaries, and GNU/Linux binaries, but not Windows binaries (yet). I'm working on the last one, and will hopefully have a solution soon.
Last edited by trythil on Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:23 am

Sure, I'll help out again. :/
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:47 am

I guess I can spare you some of my computer resources. I'll help too. :P
ImageImage

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:43 am

If you can get a windows binary up and running I'd be more than happy to have one of my dual-core systems help render.

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:05 pm

Corran wrote:If you can get a windows binary up and running I'd be more than happy to have one of my dual-core systems help render.
Do you mean a Windows version of Blender? Because it's cross-platform.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:13 pm

I guess I'll help out again.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:07 pm

AtomX wrote:
Corran wrote:If you can get a windows binary up and running I'd be more than happy to have one of my dual-core systems help render.
Do you mean a Windows version of Blender? Because it's cross-platform.
I've made a number of changes (see first post) to Blender's source code to allow me to do certain things that I can't do out of the box (so to speak). I have made OS X and Linux builds of Blender from this modified source code, but no Windows builds yet, since I haven't yet done work on a Windows XP setup. I'll try to make those soon.

Oh, some updates:

- I brought render time down by a couple of minutes while managing to slightly increase scene complexity. Wahoo. Also did some similar optimizations for memory usage.
- I made some radiosity tweaks that brings shadows back, and they look pretty cool, what with the amount of depth it adds to the final composition.

chambeyc
Org Profile

Post by chambeyc » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:32 am

I'll be happy to help. From what i read in ros2 thread, the setup seems simple enough to be understandable, even for noob like myself ^^.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:04 am

Cool, thanks a lot for all the help!

Update:

I have a Windows build, but it keeps crashing whenever the render completes. Not yet sure why -- I'll keep at it.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:55 pm

Quick poll:

How many of you would be fine with running a dyne:bolic LiveCD for a while?

This just isn't working on Windows.

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”