AMV Salad: With More Crunchy Bits! Complete!

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
Squancho
Org Profile

AMV Salad: With More Crunchy Bits! Complete!

Post by Squancho » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:11 pm

Otakon has come and gone for 2007, and AMV Hell 3.14 made its impact...for the better.

In brief: About The Name
1. Started as AMV Hell: TekkoshoCon Edition over a year ago.
2. Slightly changed to AMV Hell 3.14: TekkoshoCon Edition about six months into the project.
3. TekkoshoCon dropped from the title due to technical difficulties on the con end 86-ing the premiere.
4. AMV Hell 3.14 renamed ADD Theater 3.14 after Otakon due to AMV Hell 4 nearing post-production and producers being confused between the two MEPs.
5. ADD Theater 3.14 renamed AGAIN because of con staff fearing anyone with ADD taking offense to the title.

Confused yet? Then disregard all that and welcome to AMV Salad! Thanks, purplepolecat.

The next likely victim will be NekoCon X the weekend of November 2. There will be more, but that would be the first.

This project is once again accepting submissions. More material is needed to fill more time since the conventions I'm shopping this project to want to make this its own event.

Final call for submissions: September 20
Post-production: September 24
Beta testing: September 28
Submission to NekoCon: October 4

The "rules":
* 1. First of all, this is a collaborative effort; not a competitive one. We're here to have fun, so let's do that. The final outcome will be shown at several anime conventions throughout the year.
* 2. All entries must be under 30 seconds in length. You may submit a complete AMV, but I among a panel of others will personally select a piece for the compilation from it.
* 3. Your video must meet the standards required for being uploaded to a-m-v.org. Video source must be anime, no extreme graphic violence, nudity, or sexual content. The "PG-13" standard is in effect here.
* 4. You can submit as many entries as you like, provided they are all different. Do not submit multiple entries that only have slight variations from each other.
* 5. Please refrain from publishing your clips to Yoo Toobe or other such public video web sites until after the project goes live on the 'org. We kind of want to keep the contents of the final edit a surprise.
* 6. EVERYONE who enters this project will have at least one entry in the final compilation. The catch is you don't want to turn in just one entry and have it be a mediocre video among the other great submissions. Show us your best effort.
* 7. No no NO SUBTITLES! The only exception to this rule is if you inserted your own as a means of parody or left a line in to further express the point of your video. Just make sure that whatever subtitles you leave in run with the context of the sound source somehow.
* 8. NO watermarks of any kind! If you don't know how to remove that thing from playback yet, consult the Help files in the respective program (most often, it's DivX).

You may also send your unfinished "doomed to incompletion" AMVs for consideration. Again, we will select what part of the video (not to exceed 30 seconds) will be included in the final product. You will be informed of that decision.

If any more guidelines are needed, this list will be modified to include them.

Send all entries to deuceloosely@gmail.com OR (if your email server won't allow you to transfer large files) send a download link from http://www.megaupload.com.

Technical standards:
Be sure to send the highest quality version of your work possible. If you have the option of using DVD video rather than downloaded fansubs, please do so. Seriously.

* To be honest, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, or AVI are the preferred file formats to submit, as all other formats will be converted to MPEG-2 for playback. Unfortunately, that means due to the lossy visual quality after conversion, we can no longer accept WMVs. If you wish to overcome this obstacle, PM me.
* The final compilation will be shown on full-screen mode when presented, so 720x480 display size, a frame rate of 29.97 fps (NTSC "drop frame"), 4:3 aspect ratio (if possible) is preferred as a standard for this project.
* If your vertical resolution is 480, encode your AMV as interlaced (lower field first) instead of progressive; it is much easier to change the interlace field order than to undo a bad 'Interlace to Progressive' encoding.
* All smaller frame sizes will be increased up to 720x480, so please don't send in videos with frames much smaller than that or it will look... bad... when resized to 720x480 for the convention. Like, 640x480 is okay, but 320x280...not so much. ;)

(I know this is a lot to swallow, but the end result will be spectacular...)

For a listing of inexpensive alternatives to Windows Movie Maker which will export your work as MPEGs and AVIs, refer to the following link:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... hp?t=61207
(I personally recommend Sony Vegas 7 for those of you hooked on the WMM2 interface). If you're on a low budget, MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 11 or higher is a good option.

Audio compressed to layer II stereo, 128kbps is recommended. If you prefer, leave it uncompressed as a wav.

Who wants in?
Last edited by Squancho on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:49 am, edited 64 times in total.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Dezbo21
Org Profile

Post by Dezbo21 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:29 pm

I'm up for it!

One question though, do we have to attend the convention to see the final product?
And I thought nobody read these.

sigmatron
Org Profile

Post by sigmatron » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:04 pm

hmmmmmmm

Tekdude
Org Profile

Post by Tekdude » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:16 pm

I'll give it a shot.

After looking into it, I think attending that convention would be very possible for me, as I go to college not too far from there. I just have to make an effort to join the anime club this year and see if anyone else is going.

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:59 am

Dezbo21 wrote:I'm up for it!

One question though, do we have to attend the convention to see the final product?
You don't HAVE to, but it would be more fun that way. I'll upload the final comp to the Org within a couple weeks after Tekko. I'll have probably a few hundred more photos to edit in preparation for TekkoYATTA 3: the Saga Continues.

Ahhh...what is TekkoYATTA, you ask?

TekkoYATTA! (from TekkoshoCon 3)

TekkoYATTA 2: the Sequel! (Tekko 4)

It's just something special I do for this convention. Attendance was 1771 this year and growing steadily. Anyway, it's still ten months away so there's still time to plan. There will be a meetup and Q&A after the screening, too.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

Dezbo21
Org Profile

Post by Dezbo21 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:51 am

Thanks. I was just curious. It's usually pretty hard for me to attend more than one con a year and it's nearly impossible for me to get time off in April.

Weddings and proms make up a big portion of the business at work, so April through July is usually pretty packed. I'm lucky to get to go to Otakon, much less one far enough out that I need to get a hotel.

Anyways, thanks. Can't wait for this to get started.

Maru-sha
Org Profile

Post by Maru-sha » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:16 pm

I'm in ! What do I gotta do ?

Slopaque
Org Profile

Post by Slopaque » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:53 pm

When does it start?
The Rules:
1. Don't die.
2. Conquer the beast.
3. If you can't conquer the beast, kick it in the sack.

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:50 pm

This isn't an "official" challenge, but I'd like to start by having everyone create a 5-10 second production tag (your name, studio logo, whatever) for the compilation opening credits.

I'll follow each of them with the actual first round challenge: "AMV Buffet". You have up to 20 seconds to work with any anime, any sound source,...just represent yourself in AMV form.

The first round will begin two weeks from this Sunday. Until then, I will be waiting for more AMV Hellions to find their way here. Get those tags in, kids.

Trust me...it will be the craziest credit reel evar.

Oh...the best tag wins first choice of sound source. ;)
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

Dezbo21
Org Profile

Post by Dezbo21 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:55 am

deuceloosely wrote:This isn't an "official" challenge, but I'd like to start by having everyone create a 5-10 second production tag (your name, studio logo, whatever) for the compilation opening credits.
Hee hee.

Using "lingo" huh?

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”