ProjeKct Life

This forum is for the announcement, organisation and discussion of Multi-Editor AMV Projects.

Postby Otohiko » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:19 am

Alright, I'll be considering things further right now. I may come up with an idea or two in the next little while, provided school and work don't kill me.

As far as my own schedule in relevance to the project...

Well, for the next... week, I think, the aforementioned two things are going to try and kill me. After that, I would like to try getting around to a solo AMV idea I wanted to do which, depending again on aforementioned factors may or may not take a week or two.

So I guess either way, I probably won't be able to get any actual editing on this done until about 3+ weeks later, unless something suddenly changes. That said, I'm still 100% dedicated to getting this done.

Anyone who has segment ideas, do share & discuss. Coordination seems to be key here.

I do like the intro idea, and option b) sounds like the way to go here.

As far as the transition... that could work. I'd have to see it visually. On the concept level, it sounds like it would work well. Visually... may be a different story.

In terms of transitions in general, I think another consideration is to try coordinating the beginnings and endings of segments with the nearby ones as much as possible. Even if that means just keeping in mind that another video with another theme was just before it, and the segment shouldn't start on some random mid-way action shot. However the transitions are actually done, I'd also suggest trying to have maybe a couple of seconds of overlap on segments at least.
Otohiko

Postby jasper-isis » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:18 pm

The intro idea is cool, though Millennium Actress is the only anime I can think of that follows somebody's life from childhood to end, and Chiyoko's life might be just a tab bit too hard to follow, especially in an amv. And it would look funny with Chiyoko darting around between the rest of the segments. :P

A better suggestion, I think, would be to show the life of an animal (or spirit, as Pen-pen said) in the intro. Then we can go ahead and use this animal/spirit in the transitions. What comes to my mind is a butterfly - it is small, simple yet elegant, very representative of life with its life cycle, and can be easily manipulated to fit in with various different styles of anime.

Then comes the task of finding such a butterfly. :?

On transitions:
Let's try not to use transitions where one video in action just fades into another video in action. (My point here is about the fade.) Cleaner transitions, like those that use masking or a clever sequence of cuts, are usually more polished and do not give that sloppy/lazy impression.

Anyway, the planning seems to be going pretty well - though all I wanna do right now is get this party started! :D
jasper-isis
P. Y. T.

Postby pen-pen2002 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:24 pm

Jasper, your banner put mine (and most other banners on this site) to shame.

It has also motivated me to finish up the planing portion of this project. More soon (I promise.)
pen-pen2002

Location: Grinnell, IA Procrastination Meter: Code Lemon-Lime

Postby jasper-isis » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:40 pm

Great, can't wait! :D

pen-pen2002 wrote:Jasper, your banner put mine (and most other banners on this site) to shame.

The version I made that used an applet was smoother. I don't know how to load an applet in the sig though.
jasper-isis
P. Y. T.

Postby bum » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:00 am

OK i just read through this whole thread (though I downloaded the song some time ago) and this looks damn promising. So yeah, I'd love to be a part of this, esspecialy considering all I've learnt from my last amv.
bum

Postby pen-pen2002 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:30 pm

bum wrote:OK i just read through this whole thread (though I downloaded the song some time ago) and this looks damn promising. So yeah, I'd love to be a part of this, esspecialy considering all I've learnt from my last amv.

Very impressed by your latest, was all the motion tracking done in Vegas? Anyway gives me new hope for this project because although it is long it holds interest well enough for me to watch it a few times in a row. I especially like how smoth the transistion between horror and sedimental(?) is and the transitions between the difrent animes keeping thematic consistancy. Most of the effects were very nice but a couple were distracting or cheap looking. I'll send you a PM with the details of what I thought.

In other news I'm finally about to finish my Instrumentality submision so I should be able to devote more time to this project and clear up some space in the next couple of days.
pen-pen2002

Postby Otohiko » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:38 pm

Meanwhile, I've been pretty much dead again... but I'm still on this, of course. I just reinstalled Premiere and other AMV software, so I'm starting to look back towards editing. Granted, my editing skills are still in terrible shape.

Which reminds me - did you get that new/updated track structure laid out yet Pen-Pen, or are you keeping it as last posted?
Otohiko

Postby pen-pen2002 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:52 pm

Otohiko wrote:Which reminds me - did you get that new/updated track structure laid out yet Pen-Pen, or are you keeping it as last posted?

No, I'm pretty much redoing the whole thing except for the section (around sixish) with the difrent charicters assinged to the difrent gitars in that mini improv battle. I'm also have a pretty finalized idea of what I want the intro to look like which will be up to 1:56 I belive is the time mark. I have a prety clear idea of how I want the transitions to go to but I have to find time to open up after effects and see if I can make it happen. Other than that I think that the sections will be longer because each one will stand pretty much alone. (Note: It would be possible for more than one person to work on a section if they have the same anime.)

The rest of it I'm still working on but I'm always open to suggestions especially if someone has plot ideas they would like to try so I can start working those in now.
pen-pen2002

Postby jasper-isis » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:46 pm

Plot suggestions? Hmm I can't really think of anything off the top of my head. Perhaps one of the stages in adulthood could be a nemesis/enemy/rival kind of conflict.

How specific will the plot structure be?

When you make a new thread, you should definitely take a role-call of the thirteen creators who have expressed interest in this project. Hopefully more or less everybody will be able to actively participate. I think we should make a weekly or biweekly check-in rule, to make sure that nobody drops off the face of the planet. I just took a look at the Christmas project thread, and the uncertainly there is a little unnerving. Anyway, we also have to decide if we wanna run this project off the forum (like Instrumentality), or use somebody's website, or make contact through private communication.

As for me... I'm currently basking in a bit of post-AMV-completion euphoria. :D Originally I had planned to release it sometime in December, but with all of my excitement now there's no telling how long I'd be able to keep it to myself. :P

Anyway, if I don't start another video soon, I should be able to concentrate fully on this project.
jasper-isis
P. Y. T.

Postby bum » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:56 am

Jasper-Isis wrote:When you make a new thread, you should definitely take a role-call of the thirteen creators who have expressed interest in this project. Hopefully more or less everybody will be able to actively participate. I think we should make a weekly or biweekly check-in rule, to make sure that nobody drops off the face of the planet. I just took a look at the Christmas project thread, and the uncertainly there is a little unnerving. Anyway, we also have to decide if we wanna run this project off the forum (like Instrumentality), or use somebody's website, or make contact through private communication.

I think that once all the possitions in this amv are finalised, we should just create a private mailing list or forum (something easy and hassle free like ez-boards) and from thier we'l start to do some more solid planing and throwing idea's around. Till then, keeping discusion to this thread should be fine.

Anyway, while reading over the thread I had a bit of a crazy, yet cool idea. Penpen, you mentioned the two main idea's for this project. The life story and the abstract. Well, why not do both ? This project is certianly ambitios and if the result lives up to vision then its bound to rock. But instead of doing both idea's seperately, I'm sujesting that we do the life story first, and then an abstract amv to compliment and fit in with the life story. Then, how about releasing three versions of this? The abstract vid, the life story, and a third vid where the abstract and life story videos are mixed into one vid. mabey im being a bit over ambitios. But then again, the sky is the limit.

Also, I was wondering weather this is gona be in 4:3 or 16:9 . Which ever one we choose, we're gona wipe out a bunch of anime in the process. Switches from 4:3 to 16:9 every few minutes isnt gona look good. I was thinking that we could merge them. What I did with a recent (failed) project was have transitions between the 4:3 and 16:9 footage which worked prety well on the slower sections, but I'm not sure about the faster parts of the music.

Oh and, do people wana start listing possible anime for varios sections of the project? Evangelion and Rahxephon are obvios choices for teenage years. Haibane-renmie would be good for the section before that. Argento-soma would be good to use for the young adult stage. So would Witch Hunter Robin (and robin herself is a much older character that other teenagers, maturity wise). Jin-roh and Grave of the fireflies (focus on the mother and aunt) would fit well with the later years in life.
bum

Postby pen-pen2002 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:18 pm

This week has been pretty intense for me so I haven't had a lot of time but I'm pretty close to having everything come together.

Just dropping in to say that track assignments will begin this weekend.
pen-pen2002

Postby Otohiko » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:21 pm

Alright!

I'm haven't had much time to think about this, frankly. It's also been a busy couple of weeks for me, and my mind seems to wander elsewhere as soon as I get free time...

Eh, I'm sure I'll come up with something. And luckily, at least I have decent internet access now.
Otohiko

Postby jasper-isis » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:05 am

Whoa, I didn't see that this thread was updated!
Track assignments? Cool beans. I'll definitely check this forum tomorrow night, then. :D
jasper-isis
P. Y. T.

Postby pen-pen2002 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:41 pm

OK here we go.

There will be 8 major sections, but several of them can be split if the demand for sections is great.

I spent quite a while listening to the song critically and trying to envision how it will all come together and I can honestly say that when you split it up like this the song goes a lot faster so I don't think we will have to worry about length.

The sections are:

0:00-1:50 Introduction
1:50-2:14 Title, prelim credits.
2:14-4:45 Journey section*
4:45-6:30 Drums, Driving Rythm
6:30-8:17 Charicter profiles**
8:17-10:08 Bridge/Thematic Break
10:08-12:50 Epic Melody+Organ Section
12:50-14:33 Gituar Solo
14:33-16:25 Journey Reprise
16:25-16:45 Conclusion***

*Not a requirement, just a nickname for lack of a better discription of the melody.
**This one has some subsections. I would like it to be a charicter profile section. 6:30 charicter 1 7:09 charicter 2, 7:29 charicter 3, 7:48 charicter 4/interaction or plot element with the first 3.
***I will edit this using sections from all the submisions.

Possible breakaway sections include:
1:02-1:50
10:08-10:48
12:50-13:30
And a split of section 2 at 3:41 or 4:02

Things to keep in mind are:
I will be negotiating the transitions using effects of some sort, but you will still need to plan the begining and the end of your section to fit with the neigboring sections. Transitions will take up some time so keep that in mind when planning your intro and conclusion (which unfourtionatly are arguably the most important part of a video :wink:)

We're looking for something a little more than just mood synching, strong plot elements are key to making this project as uniqe as I hope it will be.

People whos till want to be a part of this project list your top 3 choices for sections. It would be nice if you also had what anime you planned to use or a concept idea, the more detail the better. Afterwards I will mediate the conflicts and create smaller sections as neccicary but hopefully that won't take very long.

As for the timeline. I have a month off starting Dec 15 so that is when I will be doing any major editing (I also have a Lain/In The Waiting Line video planned.) After that I'm going to look into an external HDD to hold huffy submisions. I will be using my FTP for project files.

As much as I hate to do this the aspect ratio will be 4:3, this will eliminate some great source but 16:9 would just be too limiting and switching back and forth would be a bit odd. It would be nice to have half and half, a la Animasia, but we can't reorganize the sections as we see fit in this instance.
pen-pen2002

Postby bum » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:24 pm

pen-pen2002 wrote:As much as I hate to do this the aspect ratio will be 4:3, this will eliminate some great source but 16:9 would just be too limiting and switching back and forth would be a bit odd. It would be nice to have half and half, a la Animasia, but we can't reorganize the sections as we see fit in this instance.

Haibane-renmie, Jin-roh, Grave of the fireflies, Akira and prety much most of the best "adult" anime is in 16:9. How about we list the possible anime and then take a vote on the aspect ratio? Or we could just crop and then resize 16:9 footage to fit the 4:3 aspect ratio (Though personaly I've never doen this before. But a few people recomended doing it after seeing Blue Outline).

Anyway, what are you planning for the intro?
bum

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Editor Projects