ProjeKct Life

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
greenjinjo
Org Profile

Post by greenjinjo » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:33 pm

Heh, I'm going to sit the fence and say either option sounds awesome. The first option would definitely be simpler to orchestrate, but as you say, if you/we/whatever could pull off the second option, it could really be extraordinary.
godix wrote:Free sausage. No conditions. No tricks. To the best of my ability I will give anyone a sausage on anything they ask for. I'm not kidding here, I'll do as many sausage as I can.
Check out my deviantART!

Toji Fujawara
Org Profile

Post by Toji Fujawara » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:27 pm

greenjinjo wrote:Heh, I'm going to sit the fence and say either option sounds awesome. The first option would definitely be simpler to orchestrate, but as you say, if you/we/whatever could pull off the second option, it could really be extraordinary.
i agree with this. Although i would say that if the second option could be pulled off it would be one of the best projects out there to date....Id love to see it done but im up for just about anything. So i leave the choice up to you.
"Chewing gum is really gross, Chewing gum i hate the most"-Willy Wonka (Jonny Depp)

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:19 pm

Hmm, while I'm honored to be referred to in #1...

...I'm not going to put in my final vote just yet, but I'm leaning to #2, because #2 is closer to what I always hoped a multi-editor project might achieve conceptually, and thus far not one of them hasn't. I wouldn't doubt for a second that #1 is tons easier to organize, but if #2 is feasible, it should be done.

As my favorite musician might have put it - we need to know the distance between the possible and the actual here, and understand the price involved in closing this distance.
#2 is possible, but we'll need to work out what will be involved.

And then again... considering
My Favorite Section wrote:8:20 anything goes, there’s a lot we could put here.
^Looks like if I do decide to go with it, there won't be much difference between #1 and #2.
But I could do at least one of the concept-heavy parts, too :roll:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Org Profile

Post by Zaphod_Beeblebrox » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:24 pm

uhhh, just to say, i am highly interested in this project, and both of the ideas sound awesome, but i think the second one does sound the best...

however, it might not be quite feasible, possible yes, but how much effort would it take to orchestrate something like that with the somewhat lackadaisical (sp?) attitude of some editors?

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:44 pm

Pen-pen, when you first mentioned "Project: Life" in the other thread, I immediately thought of an idea similar to that of your option 2 now. At first it seemed like a brilliant idea, but the more I thought about it, the more infeasible it became. It would be difficult to show a single life with multiple animes (we obviously cannot use a single anime), and the different sections would lack cohesion. We would have to keep the "life" to one person's point of view. The segments could require multiple do-overs in order to have them welded together properly.

A remedy would be to NOT limit ourselves to just one life. That is, depict the lives of different characters throughout the segments, but have the characters in one segment be older than the ones in the previous segment. This still would require a lot of planning, but gives us greater freedom in scene selection and lets us reach far beyond the scope of "Real Life" animes.

I wouldn't disregard option 1 just yet, as the principal con that you mentioned for it (that we would need lots of editors) does not really need to apply. However, I would suggest that we step away from total abstractions and incorporate a bit of option 2 into the concept. We could have a multi-editor AMV with 2-4 minute (or however long) segments that depict the trials of Life. This is just like my suggestion to option 2 above except that the segments do not have to conform to the "age order." Each section would tell a mini-story. The biggest pro for this idea is that we get even more freedom to choose scenes that are truly profound and impacting, instead of having to edit a progressive rock song to say, a kid chasing after a moving van that has his little girlfriend in it.

This could use a lot more opinions, but these are my ideas for now...

pen-pen2002
Location: Grinnell, IA Procrastination Meter: Code Lemon-Lime
Org Profile

Post by pen-pen2002 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:23 am

Otohiko wrote:As my favorite musician might have put it - we need to know the distance between the possible and the actual here, and understand the price involved in closing this distance.
#2 is possible, but we'll need to work out what will be involved.
That's a good way of looking at it.
Jasper-Isis wrote:The biggest pro for this idea is that we get even more freedom to choose scenes that are truly profound and impacting, instead of having to edit a progressive rock song to say, a kid chasing after a moving van that has his little girlfriend in it.
That was generally the idea from the begining. We need too keep it as loose as possible while still maintaining the story based premise. I like your idea of spliting it up into distinct sections and I definatly agree that we need more discusion (and planning) before we go down one path or the other.

As a final thought: Never underestimate the power of text as an aid to storytelling in instrumental AMVs.

DrngdKreationz
Org Profile

Post by DrngdKreationz » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:31 am

Hey pen-pen, Just to ask a somewhat pre-planning idea... as to your post in my thread I do have interest in contributing to the credits for this project.. (and once the theme is set. both are interesting ideas to me ) if something hits me trackwise would be interested in editing as well. but back to the question.. the audio for the credits... were you planning on building the credits into the intro/outro of the song itself.. or did you want to use seperate pieces of audio for them?

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:15 pm

I'm not the one making major decisions here, but my suggestion would be to use section 16:23-end for pseudo-credits. Pseudo-credits as in it won't include creator/source/etc information, but instead will pull bits of footage from previous segments and tie the whole video together... a sort of "This has been ProjeKct Life" kinda thing. And then we can put in the real credits after that to another song.

The same idea could be applied to 0:00-0:24, except that it would be an introduction. Anyone else have ideas on this?

Are we keeping the little ragtime section at the end? In the context of the whole project, it seems a bit... odd...

Ah yes, text can definitely be a powerful tool in AMVs. Without text, VicBond's Believe would just be a bag of flashes and effects. (Albeit a well-edited bag of flashes and effects.) But overuse of text can be a little aggrevating for the viewer.
Last edited by jasper-isis on Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrngdKreationz
Org Profile

Post by DrngdKreationz » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:22 pm

sorry to say it but even with the text it was nothing but filter abuse.... :?

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:35 pm

DrngdKreationz wrote:sorry to say it but even with the text it was nothing but filter abuse.... :?
I say that it takes skill to abuse filters in a way that does not come off as utterly tacky. :wink:

Forgot to ask if Pen-pen or Otohiko has the Liquid Tension Experiment CD already. I saw it at Tower Records last weekend and almost bought it, but it was more expensive than usual CDs and I really wanted to buy something else... :?

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”