ProjeKct Life

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:16 pm

My picks would be.
1) 8:17-10:08 is my favorite, but I don't yet know what I'd do with it.

2) 1:02-1:50 is my second pick, and I might already have a rough, if still interesting idea for it. (Although I think Jasper-Isis wanted this too, and if she does... I suspect she'd do a better job of it than me, actually.)

2) 2:14-4:45 appeals to me a lot musically, but I think the later sections of it get a bit 'up there' for my level of editing.

As far as 3:4 vs. 16:9... I need some more footage first :roll:

Oh yeah, and as far as time - I also have a good part of a month free from Dec. 16th, and to a lesser extent free from Dec. 6th, actually (I only have one major thing to do in those 10 days). So I guess this is gonna be my primary Christmas-time project - hopefully I get warmed-up to editing this time...
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

DrngdKreationz
Org Profile

Post by DrngdKreationz » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:42 pm

Hey pen-pen,
Just letting you know that if you still wanted me to give a hand I'll still be happy to. I'll post later if i think of a track i want.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:48 pm

That'd be great actually, personally I hope you can join. We could really use you to tackle some of the more complicated segments, I think. :)
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:29 pm

Pen-pen:

Here are the tracks that appeal to me the most. Red denotes my favorite sections within tracks :wink: I'll think about the anime choices and get back to you on that in a day or so.

1. 14:33-16:25 Journey Reprise - [14:33-15:11] [15:11-15:48] [15:48-16:25]
2. 0:00-1:50 Introduction - [0:00-0:38] [0:38-1:02] [1:02-1:50] no preference here
3. 2:14-4:45 Journey section - [2:14-2:56] [2:56-4:12] [4:13-4:45]

As you can see, I think that each one of the segments I listed above can be split up into three distinct parts. I don't know if you want us to stay within those bounds to make track assignments easier, but I am willing to share parts of a track with somebody else if necessary...

Will you be setting up themes for the sections, or do you want us to designate them ourselves?

I don't think I'll have much trouble cropping a 16:9 to fit 4:3.

Otohiko: stop belittling your editing abilities! I always start on a video not knowing whether my skills would be able to carry me through the entire project. It's by challenging myself that I really learn how to edit videos and develop my editing style. You've made some really impressive works as well, and embarking on the so-called "above your level" projects would certainly improve your abilities even more. :wink:

pen-pen2002
Location: Grinnell, IA Procrastination Meter: Code Lemon-Lime
Org Profile

Post by pen-pen2002 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:54 am

bum wrote:Anyway, what are you planning for the intro?
I'm thinking that there will be nothing before the song since the song has a self contained intro with the crying and such. I will probably have something after the video, still to be determined.

Jasper-Isis-
Speaking of intro I have a good idea for the first minute but I would need someone to pick up the second and I don't know if it should be split.

Anyways here's the idea: Use Lain as the quitisensial innocence lost anime. I would begin with scenes of the stuffed animals, PJ's etc and when the gituars hit I would burn through the suicide and insanity footage like a madman. Especially appropriate with the falling girl and all the falling chords.

I like the idea but for the life of me I can't fit Lain int the second half. Do you have an idea that could pick it up from thre? Something redemptive perhaps.

badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist
Org Profile

Post by badmartialarts » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:42 pm

This is what I would do with the two main sections that caught my ear.

4:45 - 6:30

Even though you call the section above this the 'journey section' I felt more like a journey here when the weird synocopated drumming kicked in.

Anime: Briagadoon
Focus: A young girl being drawn into curiouser and curiouser worlds, like Alice and Wonderland a bit. The syncopated rythms offer flashes of strange objects and creatures, and Marin's cheerful resolute smile despite approximately 27 average people's worth of pain being thrown at her shines through it all. (Brigadoon is a wonderful series with a terrible ending, like many series. Have never bought the last 2 DVDs because I heard that too much from people.)

8:17-10:08 Everyone's favorite part, likely because of the heavy contrast it offers to the rest of the piece.

Anime: Texhnolyse

"You will hurt many people. You will destroy everything. And you will be left all alone." These words are spoken by Ran, the Seer (a girl with prophetic powers) to Ichise, the main character of Texhnolyse. And as the show goes on, it looks like his fate may be unavoidable. (Need...next....DVD!) Pain and suffering. Every hope of redemption dashed. But is there a light for him after all? My vision for this section is really violent though (I mentioned that before, I think). And I need scenes that may not be in the show (like I said...need...next...DVD!)

14:33-16:25 offers promise too, but I'm not sure exactly where I would run with it.
Life's short.
eBayhard.

bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:55 pm

I havent realy had time to sit down and listen to the song in full without any distractions lately, so im still not 100% on what sections I want to use. But as for anime, I want to do something with Argentosoma. Mainly because the anime is relatively and I've wanted a chance to use it for some time now, but never realy found the right music.
blurb from first dvd wrote: Takuto kaneshiro is a gifted young man and considered by most to be something of a genius. With a sweet, lovable girlfreind, he's got alot of dreams for his future. But these dreams soon turn to nightmares when Takuto is involved with a freak accident during a secret experiment. He will have most things dear to him... taken away. With Takuto Kaneshiro dead, Ryu Soma is born. And the only thing on his mind is revenge.
[MOD42: Fixed phpBB code.]

pen-pen2002
Location: Grinnell, IA Procrastination Meter: Code Lemon-Lime
Org Profile

Post by pen-pen2002 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:21 am

Yeah, Texhnolyze is an amazing anime. The first episode blew me away like no other has. How many DVD's do you have? I've only seen the first 2.

Getting a slow response here. Since the thread was inactive for a while I will send out PMs to people to let them know it's been updated.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:37 am

pen-pen2002 wrote: Anyways here's the idea: Use Lain as the quitisensial innocence lost anime. I would begin with scenes of the stuffed animals, PJ's etc and when the gituars hit I would burn through the suicide and insanity footage like a madman. Especially appropriate with the falling girl and all the falling chords.
I like the idea but for the life of me I can't fit Lain int the second half. Do you have an idea that could pick it up from thre? Something redemptive perhaps.
I actually have another possible idea about this, myself, which may be more concretely in line with the theme of the project - not that I'm saying it's neccesarily better, or what we want...

I'd take Arjuna, and start off with an actual baby who was just born (there's a scene like that there), then go through childhood pictures of the main character (also in the series) to that little melody... then you get to her youth - possibly some nice landscapes involved - with the piano melody.
And then, as is known, the main character dies in the first episode of the series and sees disturbing visions of a future world, which gradually becomes more and more real in the series... That's where this harder part would come in, with that kind of imagery. Then with the guitar solo would have to do with the actual character and her death, and how she wants to come back to life, but there's a price to it - concluding the segment with her actually coming back to life.

Does that sound like an interesting idea to you?
If you think that's good - I'll actually take it as my segment, I think I'll have the footage I need...

Jasper-Isis wrote:Otohiko: stop belittling your editing abilities! I always start on a video not knowing whether my skills would be able to carry me through the entire project. It's by challenging myself that I really learn how to edit videos and develop my editing style. You've made some really impressive works as well, and embarking on the so-called "above your level" projects would certainly improve your abilities even more.
Heh, oh, don't worry, I was mostly pointing out how I think some segments seem more appropriate to what I see as certain other editors' stylistic leanings.

Technically, I am not a particularly good editor because I'm a somewhat lazy editor - well, 'economical' editor, if you will. I'm really not interested in anything beyond a 'sufficient' technical execution.

On the other hand yea, it's the exact same thing with me - this 'sufficiency' always puts new demands on me, and, as with anything else, I do edit videos as a challenge to myself, that's for sure.

But, we'll see what comes out of this...

badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist
Org Profile

Post by badmartialarts » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:46 am

I have the first four DVDs. The actual 'plot' of the show (which I assume will carry it through to the end) really just began on DVD 4, so I'm hoping DVD 5 will have a lot of nice psychological scenes like the tantalizing bits seen in DVD 4. And lots of robot-slaying action. :o
Life's short.
eBayhard.

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”