ProjeKct Life

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:19 am

Alright, I'll be considering things further right now. I may come up with an idea or two in the next little while, provided school and work don't kill me.

As far as my own schedule in relevance to the project...

Well, for the next... week, I think, the aforementioned two things are going to try and kill me. After that, I would like to try getting around to a solo AMV idea I wanted to do which, depending again on aforementioned factors may or may not take a week or two.

So I guess either way, I probably won't be able to get any actual editing on this done until about 3+ weeks later, unless something suddenly changes. That said, I'm still 100% dedicated to getting this done.

Anyone who has segment ideas, do share & discuss. Coordination seems to be key here.

I do like the intro idea, and option b) sounds like the way to go here.

As far as the transition... that could work. I'd have to see it visually. On the concept level, it sounds like it would work well. Visually... may be a different story.

In terms of transitions in general, I think another consideration is to try coordinating the beginnings and endings of segments with the nearby ones as much as possible. Even if that means just keeping in mind that another video with another theme was just before it, and the segment shouldn't start on some random mid-way action shot. However the transitions are actually done, I'd also suggest trying to have maybe a couple of seconds of overlap on segments at least.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:18 pm

The intro idea is cool, though Millennium Actress is the only anime I can think of that follows somebody's life from childhood to end, and Chiyoko's life might be just a tab bit too hard to follow, especially in an amv. And it would look funny with Chiyoko darting around between the rest of the segments. :P

A better suggestion, I think, would be to show the life of an animal (or spirit, as Pen-pen said) in the intro. Then we can go ahead and use this animal/spirit in the transitions. What comes to my mind is a butterfly - it is small, simple yet elegant, very representative of life with its life cycle, and can be easily manipulated to fit in with various different styles of anime.

Then comes the task of finding such a butterfly. :?

On transitions:
Let's try not to use transitions where one video in action just fades into another video in action. (My point here is about the fade.) Cleaner transitions, like those that use masking or a clever sequence of cuts, are usually more polished and do not give that sloppy/lazy impression.

Anyway, the planning seems to be going pretty well - though all I wanna do right now is get this party started! :D

pen-pen2002
Location: Grinnell, IA Procrastination Meter: Code Lemon-Lime
Org Profile

Post by pen-pen2002 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:24 pm

Jasper, your banner put mine (and most other banners on this site) to shame.

It has also motivated me to finish up the planing portion of this project. More soon (I promise.)

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:40 pm

Great, can't wait! :D
pen-pen2002 wrote:Jasper, your banner put mine (and most other banners on this site) to shame.
The version I made that used an applet was smoother. I don't know how to load an applet in the sig though.

bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:00 am

OK i just read through this whole thread (though I downloaded the song some time ago) and this looks damn promising. So yeah, I'd love to be a part of this, esspecialy considering all I've learnt from my last amv.

pen-pen2002
Org Profile

Post by pen-pen2002 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:30 pm

bum wrote:OK i just read through this whole thread (though I downloaded the song some time ago) and this looks damn promising. So yeah, I'd love to be a part of this, esspecialy considering all I've learnt from my last amv.
Very impressed by your latest, was all the motion tracking done in Vegas? Anyway gives me new hope for this project because although it is long it holds interest well enough for me to watch it a few times in a row. I especially like how smoth the transistion between horror and sedimental(?) is and the transitions between the difrent animes keeping thematic consistancy. Most of the effects were very nice but a couple were distracting or cheap looking. I'll send you a PM with the details of what I thought.

In other news I'm finally about to finish my Instrumentality submision so I should be able to devote more time to this project and clear up some space in the next couple of days.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:38 pm

Meanwhile, I've been pretty much dead again... but I'm still on this, of course. I just reinstalled Premiere and other AMV software, so I'm starting to look back towards editing. Granted, my editing skills are still in terrible shape.

Which reminds me - did you get that new/updated track structure laid out yet Pen-Pen, or are you keeping it as last posted?
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

pen-pen2002
Org Profile

Post by pen-pen2002 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:52 pm

Otohiko wrote:Which reminds me - did you get that new/updated track structure laid out yet Pen-Pen, or are you keeping it as last posted?
No, I'm pretty much redoing the whole thing except for the section (around sixish) with the difrent charicters assinged to the difrent gitars in that mini improv battle. I'm also have a pretty finalized idea of what I want the intro to look like which will be up to 1:56 I belive is the time mark. I have a prety clear idea of how I want the transitions to go to but I have to find time to open up after effects and see if I can make it happen. Other than that I think that the sections will be longer because each one will stand pretty much alone. (Note: It would be possible for more than one person to work on a section if they have the same anime.)

The rest of it I'm still working on but I'm always open to suggestions especially if someone has plot ideas they would like to try so I can start working those in now.

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:46 pm

Plot suggestions? Hmm I can't really think of anything off the top of my head. Perhaps one of the stages in adulthood could be a nemesis/enemy/rival kind of conflict.

How specific will the plot structure be?

When you make a new thread, you should definitely take a role-call of the thirteen creators who have expressed interest in this project. Hopefully more or less everybody will be able to actively participate. I think we should make a weekly or biweekly check-in rule, to make sure that nobody drops off the face of the planet. I just took a look at the Christmas project thread, and the uncertainly there is a little unnerving. Anyway, we also have to decide if we wanna run this project off the forum (like Instrumentality), or use somebody's website, or make contact through private communication.

As for me... I'm currently basking in a bit of post-AMV-completion euphoria. :D Originally I had planned to release it sometime in December, but with all of my excitement now there's no telling how long I'd be able to keep it to myself. :P

Anyway, if I don't start another video soon, I should be able to concentrate fully on this project.

bum
Org Profile

Post by bum » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:56 am

Jasper-Isis wrote:When you make a new thread, you should definitely take a role-call of the thirteen creators who have expressed interest in this project. Hopefully more or less everybody will be able to actively participate. I think we should make a weekly or biweekly check-in rule, to make sure that nobody drops off the face of the planet. I just took a look at the Christmas project thread, and the uncertainly there is a little unnerving. Anyway, we also have to decide if we wanna run this project off the forum (like Instrumentality), or use somebody's website, or make contact through private communication.
I think that once all the possitions in this amv are finalised, we should just create a private mailing list or forum (something easy and hassle free like ez-boards) and from thier we'l start to do some more solid planing and throwing idea's around. Till then, keeping discusion to this thread should be fine.

Anyway, while reading over the thread I had a bit of a crazy, yet cool idea. Penpen, you mentioned the two main idea's for this project. The life story and the abstract. Well, why not do both ? This project is certianly ambitios and if the result lives up to vision then its bound to rock. But instead of doing both idea's seperately, I'm sujesting that we do the life story first, and then an abstract amv to compliment and fit in with the life story. Then, how about releasing three versions of this? The abstract vid, the life story, and a third vid where the abstract and life story videos are mixed into one vid. mabey im being a bit over ambitios. But then again, the sky is the limit.

Also, I was wondering weather this is gona be in 4:3 or 16:9 . Which ever one we choose, we're gona wipe out a bunch of anime in the process. Switches from 4:3 to 16:9 every few minutes isnt gona look good. I was thinking that we could merge them. What I did with a recent (failed) project was have transitions between the 4:3 and 16:9 footage which worked prety well on the slower sections, but I'm not sure about the faster parts of the music.

Oh and, do people wana start listing possible anime for varios sections of the project? Evangelion and Rahxephon are obvios choices for teenage years. Haibane-renmie would be good for the section before that. Argento-soma would be good to use for the young adult stage. So would Witch Hunter Robin (and robin herself is a much older character that other teenagers, maturity wise). Jin-roh and Grave of the fireflies (focus on the mother and aunt) would fit well with the later years in life.

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”