ProjeKct Life

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:38 pm

pen-pen2002 wrote: As far as FPS go, 24 would be better for compression but I hear 29 is standard for fast action videos and there are some pretty intricate sections of the song. What do you more action oriented editors think?
Well, the reason I'm for 24 is that I've never really tried working with 29, and as you rightly suspect, I'm lazy and reluctant to learn the potential intricacies involved in such a switch :roll:

I've never had problems doing action-type things in 24, and frankly (throw stuff at me for saying this, if you disagree), I've never been able to tell the difference between videos in 24 and 29, besides the size.

But anyway, I'd leave that up to the experts...
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Toji Fujawara
Org Profile

Post by Toji Fujawara » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:51 pm

Since there is no deadline before december....im so in...

ill be here in a little bit and ill be on aim for most of the week (after wensday) so i should be easy to get in touch with.
"Chewing gum is really gross, Chewing gum i hate the most"-Willy Wonka (Jonny Depp)

rose4emily
Org Profile

Post by rose4emily » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:57 pm

According to my Cinemetography-major and Animation-major roommates, the whole framerate thing is tied to the workings of the old electromechanical systems used for capturing and presenting them. Film is done at 24 FPS because that was considered to be an optimal threshold point for smooth motion without wasting frames. American television is done at 29.97 FPS to reduce the interference effect that would otherwise be caused by the approximately 60Hz AC electrical power used in America, while European and Japanese television are done at 25 FPS because they use 50Hz AC for electrical power distribution. In short, the whole framerate business matters in the analog world, but is completely arbitrary in the digital world. Since 24 frames appears to be smooth enough for most people (and most animation is actually shot on twos, giving the viewer 12-15 frames per second rather than 24-30), it should be fine for any digital video project.
may seeds of dreams fall from my hands -
and by yours be pressed into the ground.

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:05 pm

I'm interested, mostly in one of the more dramatic segements. I find that my editing style and methods lend themselves more to drama than actiony stuf.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:05 pm

Aha! For once, science is on the lazy guy's side :lol:

I would suggest 24 at least for size consideratioons though, if we ever hope to get it on Local (which I *think* would still be the optimal way for it getting quick and easily-accessible exposure).
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:16 pm

There's some interesting segments here, I'd like to join the project. I'll wait till a theme is decided (if there is going to be one) to choose what tracks/anime I'm interested in.

Bakadeshi [AuN Studios]
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi [AuN Studios] » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:53 am

hmm I'm interested, however I've already commited to 2 other multi editor projects, and my own AR2... so, ah what the heck, tell ya what. If you need a particular segment filled that no one volunteers for, give it to me. :wink:

I'll be a backup I guess.
[size=0]
Image[/size]
Recommended Underated video (Not Mine): Jasper-Isis - Ever Searching

Bakadeshi [AuN Studios]
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi [AuN Studios] » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:58 am

And as for the framerate thing, as I understand it, there realy isn't any diference in the actual animation between 24 and 29, since most anime is recorded in 24 fps FILM, ad converted to 29 interlaced when put on DVD. Not to mention usually that actual animated frames tend to be around 15 fps anyway. Where you might see a diference is in some of the effects one might do in After effects, or even some of premiere's motion manipulation. Those would apear smoother on 29 fps rather than 24. although only slightly, and only those with a good eye would pick up on it. If your planning to rely on the donut to host this project, I would suggest 24. If you don;t care about hosting, and have your own Webspace or plan to use bittoorent, and don;t mind the extra file size, then you can go 29.9 if theres goign to be alot of effects work and tight beat matching to acoomodate that. although realistically I have yet to see a tight beatsynched video that looked out of synch at 24 fps at the fault of the framerate.

just my 2 cents on that subject.
[size=0]
Image[/size]
Recommended Underated video (Not Mine): Jasper-Isis - Ever Searching

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:58 pm

Live, thread!

>__>
<__<

Doesn't IVTC change the framerate of a video? If so, then how do you remove interlacing AND edit at 29.97fps, too? Unless you then convert the progressive footage BACK to 29.97fps. So the result would be... slightly sped-up footage?

If we choose to go that route, hopefully my computer wouldn't complain too much about the heavy AVS scripts. I like to load scripts straight into Premiere, so editing might be a little slow...

At any rate (whoa, no pun intended) we should focus on just getting the project idea finalized and tracks assigned for now.

I have so much anime lying around right now that I want to use in this project: Read or Die, X TV, Macross Plus, Full Metal Panic!, Ghost in the Shell... :shock:. R.o.D would be one of my definite ones, since it has scenes that'll fit just about anywhere. I'll decide on the rest depending on what section(s) I get.

Random idea to throw out there:
4:52 to 6:00 - the percussion in this section always reminds me of big, steam-powered robots. :P

themaan
Org Profile

Post by themaan » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:06 pm

Jasper-Isis wrote: Doesn't IVTC change the framerate of a video? If so, then how do you remove interlacing AND edit at 29.97fps, too? Unless you then convert the progressive footage BACK to 29.97fps. So the result would be... slightly sped-up footage?
One thing that always works for me is field deinterlace. If you add:

fielddeinterlace()

into you AVS script then AviSynth will deinterlace your footage but keep it at 29.97.
Image Appeared on RDS 2/2/05

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”