AMV Salad 6...next stop: ZENKAIKON

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Re: AMV Salad 6...now open!

Post by Gaelstrom » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:02 pm

Oh yeah, Deuce, before too much time passes, do you remember the reaction to the Men's Warehouse one? ^^ I really, really wanted a reaction vid so I could see if it did similar to Otakon's original or did better or worse.
ImageImageImage

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:09 pm

That particular clip always hits at the end when the famous tag line, "I guarantee it," and the MW logo comes up. The reactions are pretty consistent.

In other news, I just landed a new job today!
I'll still be whoring out showing the Salads at cons as long as I can maintain my regular schedule. ;)
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:40 pm

Congratulations. I hope to be saying similar very soon. As for the whoring, make sure you take video next time :P
ImageImageImage

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:10 pm

Our first new for salad 6 clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdZjsveKZ2U

We don't necessarily keep files for a long time, so if anything needs to be modified let us know.

Watch video before clicking on spoiler.
Spoiler :
I could make a mouth for Kyubey (chef) to lip sync him, but I think enough people are familiar with Madoka that it's not necessary.

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:05 am

Warlike Swans wrote:Our first new for salad 6 clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdZjsveKZ2U

We don't necessarily keep files for a long time, so if anything needs to be modified let us know.

Watch video before clicking on spoiler.
Spoiler :
I could make a mouth for Kyubey (chef) to lip sync him, but I think enough people are familiar with Madoka that it's not necessary.
Hahaha!! Okay, that's wonderful ^^ My honest impressions are that this is a first pass that you can make a lot stronger though with not a lot of work ^^ The joke feels like it loses some power when you cut away a bit too fast. My first thought was you could loop the first shot of the witch swaying back and forth for at least the majority of the first verse so that everyone has time to register the motion with the song. I know most people know this joke, but that way even those who don't will be able to follow along, and I think it's more funny to see it going back and forth at least a couple times. I'd actually recommend trying to speed up the loop a bit and see if that makes it funnier ^^

I honestly was waiting for some kind of reaction from Madoka in this, and I think I would have laughed harder with that :D In fact I think the perfect location would be where he first looks like he's swinging his hand, because that cut felt strange to me. In that same vein, I'd recommend starting the sauerkraut portion a tad earlier and letting it still-frame juuust a bit longer so people can recognize the jar. It took me three watches to notice it.

Other than that, I think you should absolutely go for the lipsync ^^ First off I don't think we should assume everyone knows Madoka, but even if that weren't the reason, think about it as someone who's seen it. If Kyubey started actually talking in Chef's deep-ass voice, I mean seriously, do you even have to question how friggan hilarious that'll be? :D I totally believe it's win-win across the board to spend a bit of time doing the lip sync. :lol:
ImageImageImage

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:42 pm

here's a modified version; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU6u5EgO ... e=youtu.be

not sure if I should search around for different reactions... I'm not sure what type of reaction (expression) would be funniest.

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:58 pm

Heheh, for some reason I keep imagining Kyubey's eyes closed in a kind of 'oh for crying out loud' as he's saying the lines ^^

Anyway, yeah, I don't think there's many reactions of her not being somehow cutely adorably emotional. In this case I think going too much in her reaction wouldn't work as well, so you may just take a shot of her staring vacantly. Kind of like when I still-framed on Zechs during the Gundam credits clip this year. That got a better reaction than I thought it would because it's totally understandable that you just can't react to something with that much fail ^^ I still feel like that first full-body shot with madoka in the foreground should be looped though, and as much as possible adjusting the speed so it hits the beat of the song with each sway. It's the best scene of the entire thing because it's where the joke lands, and it's the best because Madoka is right there, and you can see the ABSURD size difference so it's that much funnier that this giant thing is doing that and you can see her just standing there like "Uuuuuhhh...." Kyubey saying Chef's line is like the punctuation on the punchline, so it solidifies the joke well ^^

Madoka running... hmmm... I'm not sure if it really adds anything to it, but it doesn't harm it either. Since it actually was a pretty terrifying scene, even with Cartman's ridiculous singing, it's too understandable that she'd actually be terrified for it to add to the humor. Although I personally would take out the cut to the other girl whose name escapes me, since there's no establishing shot of her in this clip, so she is kind of distracting since she just shows up there without context to the clip itself.

I do really like this one though ^^ I'll be finishing up the clip I couldn't finish for AMVS5 after I get back from my parents' for Thanksgiving. You're making me want to get started early this year :D
ImageImageImage

moonbunnychan
Org Profile

Post by moonbunnychan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:13 am

Got home today from Anime USA.
As per usual major technical problems happened and the whole thing got delayed by almost an hour, but it was nice that a lot of people still stuck it out to watch. I'd recorded Reheated but I have no idea what happened, as it apparently didn't save. It went over really well though...as would be expected from a video of the best of the best it was pretty much constant loud laughing. It was also cool that enough people were familiar with it that I kept hearing stuff like "oh I love this one" or reciting lines along with it.

I'd have to rewatch the video again, but I think 5 actually got a better reaction then at Otakon.
Anyway, here's the reaction video for that one: http://www.susandoesstuff.com/AUSASalad.zip (Oh, I missed the very beginning, but a big cheer went up as soon as the Doctor Who music started).

Gaelstrom
Org Profile

Post by Gaelstrom » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:00 am

Thanks for that, moonbunnychan! ^^ I really, really wish AMVSReheated recorded correctly, but this is great too. I don't think this is as strong a reaction as Otakon, but that's probably due to audience size. How many were there? I couldn't tell from your video. I did like some of the reactions, like the Duck Hunt one ^^ "Whut...? .....oooooohhhhh!" It's just such a shame that smaller audiences need such a prodding to enter humor mode it seems.

Seeing your video I still can't believe my camera I take for granted so clearly caught the audio of both AMVS and the audience like it did. I gotta sacrifice a goat to it or something...
ImageImageImage

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:18 am

Thanks moonbunnychan!

this is the most recent German dance:
http://youtu.be/i7E0EMUHoOk

...and another one I'm working on (that is not working quite as well as envisioned):
http://youtu.be/dc3G7wGwM4U

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”