What have you noticed in the source footage?

This forum is for posting images from anime shows. Please read the posting rules before posting in this forum.
dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

What have you noticed in the source footage?

Post by dokidoki » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:35 pm

As editors, we see things in a different way than the average anime fan. While most people see each frame of animation for a small fraction of a second, the entire scene is laid out on a timeline for us to see each picture individually when we're editing. So my question is, what things have you noticed in anime footage while editing, that you might not have noticed when simply watching the show?

Here are a few examples to start you off.

Often in Ranma (and perhaps other shows, but I can't name any offhand), when a character hits another character, or a chracter hits a tree or whatever, there will be some sort of yellow-on-black geometric "impact" graphics. But often a frame of unrelated art will be thrown in for fun. Here's part of a frame from when a character gets hit in one episode. Several frames on either side are merely simple abstract "collision" graphics. (I cleaned it up a little. The quality and encoding of the show aren't the best)

In the first Ranma movie, when Monron attacks, they throw this in for a few frames. (It's onscreen longer than I remember it being, actually. Of course, the scenes on either side are longer than the relative blip in the middle)

I wouldn't have noticed this error if I hadn't been staring at the scene while working on Doomrider. His hands are drawn backwards!

haha
And here is a blatant error in the final episode of Fushigi Yuugi. It only appears for two frames, however, when the screen is flashing/inverting because of a fight between Nakago and Tamahome.

Finally, Rozard posted an interesting example of some flawed Bleach DVD footage on LiveJournal a year ago.
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

Dannywilson
Org Profile

Post by Dannywilson » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:49 pm

There's a bunch of weird shit like that in Abenobashi, especially when any character gets hit. Same goes for FLCL.
"in the morning when i have wood..i like to walk around my house and bump random shit with it.... " -Random comment on grouphug.us

Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:57 pm

I notice those same things in ranma aswell. in one of the ovas when Akane hits ranma for seeing her naked in the bath water (if i'm remembering how the scene went correctly... its in the one about the 8 headed serpent thingy) theres a shot for about 2 frames of both akane and ranma naked looking at each other with romantic atmosphere with i think flowers covering certain areas ;p I've only noticed that with ranma though.

Sephiroth
Org Profile

Post by Sephiroth » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:56 am

THings like that are done for visual impact beleave it or not. While most people don't recall seeing them your brain still see's it unconsously and thus it does something to the impact of the sceen. Same thing happens with bugs bunny sometimes. In one cartoon all you see is bugs wind up, then a flash, and finally a broken bat. You never see the charecter do the action but the impression of it tells you what happened.

Sometimes it's what you don't see that's the best. Something i wish most new horor movies would remember.

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:21 am

I highly doubt I would have ever caught this unless I was going through it frame by frame.

As you can see, Osaka's mouth appears in front of Tomo's arm. It seems like when they were photographing the cels, one of the cel's got put in out of order.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

AquaSky
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by AquaSky » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:59 am

Yeah, I noticed the same thing with Ranma. Also caught something similar a few times in Video Girl Ai, with the semi-random stuff after a character gets hit.

Kai Stromler
Org Profile

Post by Kai Stromler » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:28 am

I've got a cut somewhere from the second episode of Excel Saga, just one frame between two unrelated cuts, that looks like a storyboard or something -- just a line drawing, no color. I'll have to go dig it out of the DVDs when I get back to the States.

--K
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
CHOPWORK - abominations of maceration
skywide, armspread : forward, upward
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:29 am

There is a glitch in Bible Black, where the jizz on a girl mysteriously disappears for 2 framea. Anyone that has Moneyshot can see it at 2:40.

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:55 am

Windaria had a couple of short-cut errors. In one case a character was moving off screen and just disappeared about half a dozen frames too soon. In another, the camera was panning across a scene with characters walking on a bridge...except that the characters weren't moving at first and for several frames.

Just finished my latest project and had to deal with this one. A "small" compositing error that lasted the entire scene (not just this frame). Most viewers wouldn't notice due to overscanning.

devilmaykickass
Org Profile

Post by devilmaykickass » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:39 am

There's alot of unnoticable frames/mistakes throughout the Sailor Moon series, and a few in the movies. Since the SMR movie happens to be ripped on my hard drive right now, here's the two I recall right of hand...

This one is actually visible in motion if you have a rediculously keen eye for split second differences in frames, which thanks to editing I do:

This one is probably the most memorable/amusing to me, and I think it's self-explanitory...

I also recall the "getting hit" thing happening in an episode of season 2/Sailor Moon R, where one of the four sisters is walking out of a store and bumps into Yuichiro...shortly after I believe she hits him, and for a frame in between the flashing yellows and blacks and whites you see an all green background with a smiling chibi Zoisite...which is very, very strange and random considering he died in season 1/Sailor Moon Classic.

Return to “Anime Screencaps”